[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Tiki ripping into critics

rajncajn

Tiki torches 'idiots' for criticizing retirement decision

I loved the quote about Irvin. :D

Tiki Barber blasted critics of his retirement decision on his Tuesday night Sirius Satellite Radio show, "The Barber Shop."

"...I will call them idiots, because they have neither spoken to me, nor any one of my teammates or any of my coaches," Barber said. "Yet all they do is criticize me for being a distraction with this retirement thing."

Barber was specifically upset at three of his critics: the New York Daily News' Gary Myers, who wrote that Barber had "created a season-long distraction" the Giants "don't need"; and ESPN's Tom Jackson, who said the decision "has distracted the team from the task at hand," and Michael Irvin.

"To me, in my head, that's quitting," Irvin said before the Giants' 36-22 win over the Dallas Cowboys on Monday night. "That's not retiring."

Barber singled the three out during his radio show Tuesday night.

"And that includes Gary Myers," he said. "That includes Tom Jackson on ESPN. That includes the ultimate character guy, facetiously speaking of course, Michael Irvin. Please get a clue on how to be a journalist.

"Don't make blanket assumptions about it [retirement]. And obviously, as was evidenced [Monday] night, I am a huge distraction to the New York Giants," he said.

Edited by rajncajn

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What a shot on ESPN that was, 2 of their Sunday NFL guys in one sentance, PLUS pointing out that Irvin is a characterless botard who has no idea what he's talkign about in general (nevermind on subjects involving Tiki Barber).

And all the more stinging because Tiki is not known as someone who just shoots his mouth off and what he's saying is obviously so true. It's refreshing when someone so high profile has the guts to call a spade a spade. As someone who loathes Irvin to the point where I can barely stomach ESPN's pregame show, I'm really enjoying this story.

I do think Irvin went overboard with his point, but he had one that is somewhat valid.

The point is if you are a rookie/2nd year - 22 years old, pro athlete so probably a bit full of yourself....game later in the season, could mean the playoffs.

Tiki comes up to you : "hey man, it's on you - get out there and hit someone. The Giants are counting on you"

I agree with Irvin - some of the younger players in that situation will think a bit : "the Giants? What do you care - you are gone..." not everyone will, but there are some that will think like that.

Now why he called him a quitter is beyond me - he turned what was a somewhat valid point into an attack on the guy's character.....

Tiki was on Tampa sports radio program of his brother this week - very eloquent about it, but came down to "I like the fact I may not be a cripple, and I got other things to do in life, so 10 years is enough"

Ronde was pretty funny - essentially said "not me - your going to have to carry me off the field"

What a shot on ESPN that was, 2 of their Sunday NFL guys in one sentance, PLUS pointing out that Irvin is a characterless botard who has no idea what he's talkign about in general (nevermind on subjects involving Tiki Barber).

I just find it funny that Irvin defends TO, but calls out Tiki...

What's really sad about this criticism of Tiki is that the moran critics don't recognize halfbacks' legs take a TON of punishment - much more so than other positions. Just look at Earl Campbell. I'm sure that Tiki has and wants to be able to still walk on his own when he's 50.

I do think Irvin went overboard with his point, but he had one that is somewhat valid.

The point is if you are a rookie/2nd year - 22 years old, pro athlete so probably a bit full of yourself....game later in the season, could mean the playoffs.

Tiki comes up to you : "hey man, it's on you - get out there and hit someone. The Giants are counting on you"

I agree with Irvin - some of the younger players in that situation will think a bit : "the Giants? What do you care - you are gone..." not everyone will, but there are some that will think like that.

Now why he called him a quitter is beyond me - he turned what was a somewhat valid point into an attack on the guy's character.....

Tiki was on Tampa sports radio program of his brother this week - very eloquent about it, but came down to "I like the fact I may not be a cripple, and I got other things to do in life, so 10 years is enough"

Ronde was pretty funny - essentially said "not me - your going to have to carry me off the field"

Must be nice to be able to quit a job paying millions. Would think his maker might prefer he play another season and donate his pay to the less fortunate. The closest thing I've seen like that from a professional athlete is when Phil Mickelson announced he would donate any winnings from this year's New Orleans PGA event to the Katrina Fund.

Irvin will be practicing the definition and correct pronunciation of "facetiously" for the rest of his week to prepare for his rebuttal.

Or "rebutable", which is likely how it will come out.

It's really crazy to think that Irvin and.....man those are jiggly, nice red top :D .......trying to overt the eyes. What was I saying? :D

Edited by NAUgrad

People who are wildly-successful in their professions and make a ton of money tend not to vote for Hillary and Chuck Schumer. I don't blame them.

That's how the rich get richer & the poor get poorer. But you're right, I don't blame them.

as someone said...runningbacks take a serious beating...possibly the worst beating in the NFL if you think about it..

Yeah, its not even close. They get 30+ times a game. Even when they are not going out for a pass or running the ball, they're picking up a D lineman or a lineback coming at them 100mph.