[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Greek/Frat Life in College

Goopster24

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a friend on my floor who wanted me to join his frat. I looked, but I didn't join his. I waited and rushed when I found the house that fit me. Rush when you're ready, and find the house that fits you. Don't make your choice based on somebody else.

I totally wouldn't have fit with the other group.

I had a friend on my floor who wanted me to join his frat. I looked, but I didn't join his. I waited and rushed when I found the house that fit me. Rush when you're ready, and find the house that fits you. Don't make your choice based on somebody else.

yah most but lamda lamda lamda dont take the gays......

Yeah I actually wanted to join another house - one that a couple dorm buddies were in and a couple more were rushing - but I opted for another house. I'm actually glad I did it this way, because I'm still friends with a few of those "other" guys and made a ton of lifelong friends in the house I joined.

And Goop - take Egret's advice here... do what feels most comfortable. You seem to be a pretty "with-it" kid; I'm sure you'll make the right choice (cough... better not be Pike... cough)

Jeebus, I had no idea there were this many frat boys here. :D

As for myself, I never had any interest in joining a fraternity, however, I did have a friend in the dorms who after his first year pledged and was accepted into one, can't recall which. Long story short, once he was in the fraternity, he pretty much blew off ever hanging out with us non-frat guys again, at which point we declared him a total tool and labeled the entire greek system the same, for right or for wrong. Granted, he may be just an individual example, but it's the closest I came to in college with dealing with a frat, so there's my opinion, as narrow as it may be.

Still, as far as making close friends out of high school vs. those you made in college, I would say I'm about 50/50 on those closest friends of mine, with a couple of outliers from grad school. Guess I'm just a social butterfly. Bottom line is this. Doesn't matter where you make your friends at, just treasure them for the rest of your life, be there for them when needed, because when your back is up against the wall a true friend will always come through for you.

OK, that's about as sappy as I'm going to get.

Gotta go with your gut Goop. On that campus, you can stay friends with people very easily from other houses, but you may feel more comfortable elsewhere. I knew too many people who regretted their decision based on going where some friends went. A lot ended up transfering. You have to do what's best for yourself first.

I had a great overnight visit in high School at one fraternity. A couple guys there were super cool. Once I got to DePauw, my freshman roommate and I were pretty tight. He tried to pressuade me to go in this same house when he pledged right away, but I went with the gut feeling even though I didn't know a soul at the Gam. We all stayed friends.

Don't let anyone pressure you into a particular place. That's just BS. Trust your felings [/Obi-Won]

Last time I was on campus was 2 years ago. Didn't make it down from Indy in September due to time constraints, but I chatted it up with some of the undergrad bros. They seem like good dudes to me. Had a couple smoking-hot girlfriends.

Anyway, if you go Phi Delt, Delta Tau Delta, or SAE (which I assume are still the football houses), I'll still track you down and we'll have a GCB.

Just don't go Beta. I hated those dudes.

Gotta go with your gut Goop. On that campus, you can stay friends with people very easily from other houses, but you may feel more comfortable elsewhere. I knew too many people who regretted their decision based on going where some friends went. A lot ended up transfering. You have to do what's best for yourself first.

I had a great overnight visit in high School at one fraternity. A couple guys there were super cool. Once I got to DePauw, my freshman roommate and I were pretty tight. He tried to pressuade me to go in this same house when he pledged right away, but I went with the gut feeling even though I didn't know a soul at the Gam. We all stayed friends.

Don't let anyone pressure you into a particular place. That's just BS. Trust your felings [/Obi-Won]

Last time I was on campus was 2 years ago. Didn't make it down from Indy in September due to time constraints, but I chatted it up with some of the undergrad bros. They seem like good dudes to me. Had a couple smoking-hot girlfriends.

Anyway, if you go Phi Delt, Delta Tau Delta, or SAE (which I assume are still the football houses), I'll still track you down and we'll have a GCB.

Just don't go Beta. I hated those dudes.

Thanks for all the advice man. It's really interesting to hear your take on the stuff. Delts are all the football guys (the "meatheads"). The fraternity I was talking about with my friend was Phi Delt. Just for the record, I'm not a football player anymore. My roommate's dad was a Beta and he tells us that the stereotypes of all the fraternities here on campus have changed drastically over the last couple of years. Beta is like on triple probation right now from last year. They did some pretty awful stuff hazing wise. I've heard good things about SAE but I have not visited it yet. I mean honestly, I really like Phi Delt. I have been to Beta but I was not a fan of it at all. The guys are still pricks, don't worry.

Monon Bell game is at home next year. I will probably be calling the game on the radio so you should no doubt come.

:D Currently at Oregon State

BJ, you are falling behind. C'mon now, I'll help you catch up.

2002-2005 Oregon State

2006 (winter term) took a few classes at University of Washington and took the spring term off to work

2006 (and currently) Seattle University

What college did you go to? What a bunch of nancy-boys. :D

There are ways around those rules and every fraternity broke them.

I joined the fraternity at University of Washington. And yes, we do follow a lot of the rules. As you might have noticed we have a somewhat litigious society now and fraternities are constantly under scrutiny. Since we follow the rules we are one of the openly "wet" houses on campus and can host a party where we can serve alcohol. A lot of the houses that have broken the rules are under probation and can no longer host a party with alcohol. Yes, they do have parties but can not have them in the frat house. They have to have their parties at a live-out members house.

Alpha Tau Omega... University of Wyoming. I would do it all over again; it was a hell of a lot better than living in the dorms, you could do what you wanted when you wanted! And where else could you decide to throw a party and invite a couple of sororities over, making the girl to guy ratio 2 to 1?? :D

Ummm, that's the way the dorms were at BC. :D

So the dorms at BC would let you have pets?? We had 4 dogs (two were mine) a pot bellied pig, a 10 foot monitor lizard (pig and lizard were mine as well) several snakes and pirahana's...

Would they allow alcohol or minors in possession of alcohol?

Would they allow huge blow out parties??

Would they allow gambling and strippers in the dorm lobby?

How about hockey in the lobby?

I can gaurantee that you can do a lot more in a fraternity than you can in the dorms...

So the dorms at BC would let you have pets?? We had 4 dogs (two were mine) a pot bellied pig, a 10 foot monitor lizard (pig and lizard were mine as well) several snakes and pirahana's...

Would they allow alcohol or minors in possession of alcohol?

Would they allow huge blow out parties??

Would they allow gambling and strippers in the dorm lobby?

How about hockey in the lobby?

I can gaurantee that you can do a lot more in a fraternity than you can in the dorms...

Depended on the dorm. Some of the upperclassmen dorms were actually duplex-type things that would, I assume, approximate a frat house. Parties, pets, and underage drinking not at all uncommon for all dorms. Strippers in the lobby, I'm thinking probably wouldn't fly in most.

I really liked my frat experience. In reality, in 10-15 years, you'll likely remember fewer names of college "friends" than you do of friends from high school. The greek system gives you an more effective means to develop subtantial interpersonal relationships that you might normally have without the frequent, structured group activities and rituals involved. Everyone says you don't need a frat to make friends, and that's true. But I find that the shared experience of pledging, rush week, parties, philanthropy, greek week, etc. provide a very effective environment to really get to know people beyond the superfical college experience.

Honestly, most of my current best friends from college came from my frat. It wasn't that we were "exclusive." It was just that I got spoon-fed an opportunity to build stronger, more lasting friendships with those folks than I did with the random people I went to class with, lived in the dorms with, etc. Plus, the organization lends itself well to alumni networking and other relatively effort-free means of staying in touch after graduation.

Of course, the greek experience is 100% dependant on how you get along with the people in the organization. Determining the "right" frat for you is critical.

Alpha Chi Rho, Clarkson University. Pledged second semester freshman year. Great experience. Had four great years in college, could have been five, I can't really recall. Made some really good friends there. Actually one of my business partners and I pledged together. Being in the fraternity allowed me to do things in college that I probably would not have done otherwise. Played on all of the fraternity league sports teams, joined the rugby club with a pledge brother, spent february nights in the front yard of the house creating an ice sculpture and float for ice carnival. The list goes on....... I would do it again without a second thought.

From this topic I learned that im actually fraternity brothers with Tonorator and Yuke (before he was thrown out)..Im a Theta Chi Brother..I had nothing but great experiences with being in a fraternity..It was awesome..I highly recommend it..

FIJI, Phi Gamma Delta, on 916 S. College is the only place you need to go.

I'm telling you, that chapter is just special. 150 years of continuous operation - you just missed the big hooplah anniversary in Indy last September. I see grad bros sometimes only every couple years and its like a day hasn't passed. My pledge bros are my best friends ever. Even if I only get to see some at weddings and reunion weekends.

If you're interested in Communications, there's plenty of graduate brothers in that arena. Lots of lawyers too. No hazing too. All fraternities will tell you the same, but many are lying. Trust me on that one.

Anyway, you go FIJI, and I'll buy you a GCB, liter of dew, and cheese fries from Marvin's next time I'm on campus :bash:.

But if you really need something to turn you on, the lovely Thetas sunbathe on the side roof. Room 401 and 402 from the Gam have the best view.

Also, be sure to ask about Anchor runs, bag man, and shaving cream man when you visit.

I pledged Sigma Phi Epsilon - Loyola University New Orleans with Seattle Lawdawg and don't regret it one bit. If/when you pledge, pledge season will be one of those things that looking back you enjoyed but would NEVER want to do again. I'm still in contact with quite a few of my fraternity brothers and do business with some as well. Like many have said, it all depends on your personality. Joining a fraternity definitely added to the college experience for me and I would do it all over in a heartbeat.

Jumpin Johnies is also a Sig Ep but from another university.

I was a Phi Delt, but I don't remember much because I spent much of my college time in an alcohol and drug-induced haze! Ah, the good ole' days!!! :D

Twiley's fraternity was brought in to replace mine at Loyola, New Orleans when we got banned forever from the college campus. Most of the guys in mine were derelicts, misfits, degenerates and bartenders. Best group of guys I ever met, still close friends with lots of them. Most of the big alumni owned bars in New Orleans (TJ Quills, Fat Harrys, Shanahans, etc.). We couldnt wear spamshirts or anything on campus at risk of suspension and every incoming freshmen class was told in a big assembly to watch out for us and never ever go to our parties. I was anti-greek, pro-bar and a rebel without a pause so it was a very a good fit for me.

After an illustrious 20 years offcampus they disbanded a couple years ago.

There is a certain cooking man around here who is my brother.

yo mama sums up my perception of going greek..... very fun, but not essential for a social life. looking back i would have done it again.

phi kappa theta- university of san diego.

edit: i am happily bound fraternally to certain bald, antangonist on these boards

Phi Kappa Psi at one of the biggest party schools in the country. So, it wasn't fully necessary but I'm certainly glad I did it. I still talk to several of my fraternity brothers (stood up in two of their weddings).

It's a heck of a networking vehicle and even socially speaking now, it's good... I moved to Austin, Texas without knowing anyone, and plan on joining the local Alumni Association. Of course, word is the local AA only accepts UT Phi Psis. If that's the case, that's retahded. Fortunately there's another AA that's based out of San Marcos (about 30 min. south) that accepts any Phi Psi alum. Of course, it'd be cooler to be in the Austin AA, since there's so much to do around here.

In any case... yes, I recommend the fraternity experience in college if you can afford it.

Edits: Forgot to mention, KevinL is also a Phi Psi. Partially due to that bond, we got to know each other a little faster here... oh, and I went to UC Santa Barbara.

But, did you guys all enjoy the butt slamming sex that took place between you and your brothas? :D