[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

"Flex" Schedule?

Vet

I finally got Jets season tix this year after 12 years on the waiting list. Been having a great time bringing the kids to games and whatnot this year.

The game vs. the Bills this coming weekend I checked the television listings a couple of weeks ago and they had this as a 1:00 game. Then, on ESPN radio this morning I hear it's a 4:15 game. I run to check my tickets, and on the tix it says time "TBA". Is this due to the new "flex" schedule, or have "TBA" games always been part of the deal? I guess I never really paid attention before I had season tix.

Ordinarily, this wouldn't be a big deal for me. But I invited my sister and my nephew who are driving a long distance to get to the game and a 4:15 game (which means leaving the stadium at 7:30PM or later and getting home really late for them) may not be doable for them.

Is this "TBA" stuff new, or is this typical for NFL games?

Thanks for any insight.

Vet, I was a season tix holder for 11 years before this and never saw anything like that. It is probably from the flex schedule or else something else was taking place at the Meadowlands that could force the game time to be moved. Not sure what, though.

Actually, moving games from the first flight on Sunday to the second flight for national televison has been around a long time and has nothing to do with the flex schedule implemented recently.

That it hasn't happened to you before in the previous 11 years probably gives you a good indicator of at least how long the Jets have sucked.

Edited by Bronco Billy

Actually, moving games from the first flight on Sunday to the second flight for national televison has been around a long time and has nothing to do with the flex schedule implemented recently.

That it hasn't happened to you before in the previous 11 years probably gives you a good indicator of at least how long the Jets have sucked.

:D

:D

I think it has more to do with the fact that the Jets and Giants never play at the same time because the networks don't want to split the New York market. And since they are in different conferences, they are very rarely on the same network. So for one network to move a game from 1PM to 4PM would actually involve moving two games and would require the cooperation of a rival network. Or, it could be that the Jets suck like you said.

when i got my cardinals season tickets, there was actually an insert in the package saying to confirm gametimes each week because of the flexible scheduling.

Was there a small footnote saying there would be a better chance of seeing Denny Green lose it in a press conference then the Cardinals being moved to accomodate a national TV audience?

Was there a small footnote saying there would be a better chance of seeing Denny Green lose it in a press conference then the Cardinals being moved to accomodate a national TV audience?

haha. that was priceless. i think i watched it a shade under 100 times before it became less funny. the news out here was all over it for about 2 weeks. that game was unbelievable, well worth the price of seasons tickets....which, by the way, is the only reason i bought them.

I talked to someone who knows about this stuff and found out what happened.

The Giants-Panthers game was a TBA game, with the anticipation that this would be the Sunday night game. (The new flex scheduling allows NBC to select from the TBA games which match-up it wants to air on Sunday night.) However, NBC selected the Dallas-New Orleans game as the Sunday night match-up. That put the NYG-Carolina game back into FOX's hands and FOX put it into the 1:00EST slot. I don't know why FOX did this, because they now have no real good match-up to air at 4:15 (GB/SF and SEA/ARZ, gimme a break). But they must have their reasons, perhaps they're trying to boost their pre-game show ratings.

CBS then had the choice between the NE/MIA game and the NYJ/BUF game to air at 4:15 - these were the other TBA games. Not wanting to split the New York market by putting the Jets up against the Giants (there is no law against doing this, but it would equate to professional suicide by a sports programming executive at any network) CBS moved the NYJ/BUF game to 4:15 and made NE/MIA the early East Coast regional game.

A few weeks back, CBS must have assumed that NYG/CAR would be the Sunday night game because our local affiliate listed NYJ/BUF as the 1:00 game and NE/MIA as the 4:15 game. But, NBC chosing DAL/NO as the Sunday night game threw everything into turmoil and forced CBS to flip-flop the two AFC East match-ups.

Make sense?

Bottom line is, from now on in late November and December you won't know what time the game you're going to will be played until 6 days ahead of time. This is especially true in the "big" markets. Welcome to the world of flex scheduling.

Edited by Vet

I don't know why FOX did this, because they now have no real good match-up to air at 4:15 (GB/SF and SEA/ARZ, gimme a break). But they must have their reasons, perhaps they're trying to boost their pre-game show ratings.

GB/SF? Brett Favre?

Edited by Sharpie