[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

COY

The Stoner

lol @ landslide. If so it's a joke. Mangini is IMO the winner unless NO goes on to impress and Jets totally collapse. Payton has done great and is a good choice but he's had a lot more to work with too. Predictions for the Saints varied and them being playoff-bound isn't a shock...the Jets even being in contention is.

lol @ landslide. If so it's a joke. Mangini is IMO the winner unless NO goes on to impress and Jets totally collapse. Payton has done great and is a good choice but he's had a lot more to work with too. Predictions for the Saints varied and them being playoff-bound isn't a shock...the Jets even being in contention is.

Agreed. I'd give it to Payton, but not by such a large margin. Mangini has done the most with the least amount of talent. Who's the best player on the Jets? Vilma? Coles? Andre Dyson?

:D

People forget that the Jets problems for the past couple of seasons have centered around Pennington being hurt. When Pennington is playing, they are a much better team.

I think both deserve mention, and at this point it's probably too early to say. What will people say if the Titans win out?

Predictions on the Saints didn't vary at all, everyone had them finishing dead last in the division. I don't understand where people are getting that idea. :D As far as players to work with I would have said the Jets D was much better than the Saints at the beginning of the season outside the DEs and on offense Pennington has always been known to be a good QB if he could stay healthy but regardless you'd be comparing him to Brees coming off major shoulder surgery. At WR you had Coles, we had Horn...I love Joe Horn, but he's obviously lost a step. Colston & Henderson were surprises & are so because of Payton's coaching & Brees' QB play. At o-line the Saints looked like they were in serious trouble. People were expecting Brees not to even make it through the season, but Payton re-tooled the line & even after losing their all-pro center to Cleveland Payton coached them to be one of the better lines in the NFL. RB is pretty much the only place you can truly say the Saints had an advantage coming into the season, but even there you had questions with Deuce coming off major knee surgery & again the projected play of the o-line.

Don't forget about Marvin Lewis. In a serious playoff hunt despite:

QB w/ a reconstructed knee who missed entire offseason

Injuries to 3/5 of the O-Line

Missing all LBs from last year (2 for whole season, 1 for several games)

Injuries to SS and CB causing them to miss multiple games.

Spanish lessons to understand what Ocho Cinko was saying (those have recently paid off!)

Juggling Bail Bond calls at all hours of night.

ah, screw it. Peyton gets my vote too.

There are actually a surprising number of candidates for this award this year. My top 5 picks:

1. S. Payton

2. Mangini

3. Fisher

4. Holmgren

5. Billick

For being the cream of the crop of a division including the Lambs, the Cards, and the 9ers?

I think that's a small stretch... :D

I think it's one of those years where there are 4 or 5 guys that are doing a great job....but then one guy who is transcendant for not just wins/losses reasons but the story itself. Payton will win it in a landslide cause of that (and deservedly so IMO). Mangini, Fisher, Billick and a few others definitely having COY consideration type years, but between the Saints record, and the literal rise from the ashes (ok, water) story, no way he doesn't get it.