[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

best team to lose a Super bowl?

Savage Beatings

1968 Colts hands down. The Colts were a great team, the Jets sucked...but like they say "any given Sunday". Earl Morrall played about as poorly at QB as he ever has missing a wide open touchdown toward the end of the 2nd half when he failed to see a wide open Jimmy Orr instead checked down underneath. He also made terrible throw after terrible throw the entire game. The Colts scored only 7 points that game...I think that year there was only 2 or 3 games where they scored below 20. And the Jets as Id have to look it up gave up obscene points that year, maybe 2 or 3 games giving up below 20 themselves. It was just a very bizarre game, so much so that there have always been underneath rumblings that the game was fixed. Had the Jets been anything other than the fluke they were they'd have continued to win, but the Jets fell totally off the map the next year while the Colts continued to be a great team (even winning Super Bowl 5) before age crept in and ended their run.

While there have been some tough Super Bowls to swallow and amazing finishes, the Colts losing the 1968 Super Bowl is the only Super Bowl I look at and really shake my head in disbelief.

68 colts and 97 packers are great nominees. a lot of people forget, but that 97 packers team was, i believe, a double digit favorite against a pretty f'n strong denver team. favre was at the absolute pinnacle of his game then, witha top notch team around him, and it took a great denver team playing lights out to beat them.

but i still go with the 1990 bills, the squad done in by scott norwood's wide right. they lost only 3 reg season games (one of them meaningless in week 17), they were #1 in the league in offense and #6 in defense. and that's a team that won the AFC, what, 4 years out of 5?

68 colts and 97 packers are great nominees. a lot of people forget, but that 97 packers team was, i believe, a double digit favorite against a pretty f'n strong denver team. favre was at the absolute pinnacle of his game then, witha top notch team around him, and it took a great denver team playing lights out to beat them.

but i still go with the 1990 bills, the squad done in by scott norwood's wide right. they lost only 3 reg season games (one of them meaningless in week 17), they were #1 in the league in offense and #6 in defense. and that's a team that won the AFC, what, 4 years out of 5?

The 97 Packers biggest problem was a lame duck coach who allowed them to be over-confident going into the game. They weren't prepared and didn't play well. The year before Holmgren wasn't allowed out of his contract and didn't do his job.

Denver played well and deserved to win, but the Packers didn't play well.

68 colts and 97 packers are great nominees. a lot of people forget, but that 97 packers team was, i believe, a double digit favorite against a pretty f'n strong denver team.

I would have to say that the double-digit spread was more based on the bettors perception of Green Bay as being near-impervious (despite the fact that the entire season seemed to be a grind) than of the actual merits of the two teams.

I was counseling everyone to take Denver and the fat points.

favre was at the absolute pinnacle of his game then, witha top notch team around him, and it took a great denver team playing lights out to beat them.

Even then, it was certainly one of the better SB games up to that point.

4 years straight, and they advanced to the AFC title game in '88 as well.

Parcells was in top form, and coached rings around Marv Levy, and STILL barely beat the Bills.

That Packer team was probably the best loser I've witnessed in my 20+ years of watching the NFL. Other than the '06 Hawks of course.

The Packers not only won the Super Bowl in 1996, but made it back to the Super Bowl in 1997. They ended up losing to the Broncos 31 - 24 but still are arguably one of the better Super Bowl teams to lose.

The 1968 Baltimore Colts are widely regarded as the best team to lose a Superbowl. I believe they were 16 or 18 point favorites in Superbowl III.

Yep. Thanks for that lame coaching Shula you stupid POS.

Bills and Bengals teams would have to be up there. Likewise for at least 1 of the DAL and/or MIN teams who lost in the 70s.

And LMAO @ nominating the Seagulls.