[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

best team to lose a Super bowl?

Savage Beatings

Ya know, all things considered, I'd probably have to go with the '06 Seahawks after what happened in the game.

Was it he 75 yard TD run or maybe the reverse pass for a TD that made Seattle so good that game. :D

Seattle was an above average team in a horrible conference. Any one of the teams the Steelers beat to make it to the Superbowl were better than the Seahawks (Bengals, Colts, Broncos).

Edited by SteelerMurf

This seems to be pretty clearly a homer-type thread, so I'll throw the '97 Packers into the equation - Favre was still playing at MVP level, Freeman and Chmura were in their prime, defense was still top notch, Dorsey Levens was the best Packer RB in between Ahman Green and John Brockington, etc.

Offense was 2nd in scoring, defense was 5th, both were top 10 in yds. But the D was a bit soft vs the run, and that was their downfall - especially when Gabe Wilkins went down with a knee injury early.

Since my Niners have never, not once, lost a Super Bowl that they have played in, I'd have to go with the '06 Seahawks. The Seahawks would have beat the Steelers 8 out of 10 times, and were a far superior team than the Steelers. It just so happened to be one of the off-chance games that the Steelers won.

Not much you can do about it now, except of course wonder where the Steelers went... :D

i'd have to say without hesitation that it's one of those buffalo teams...to get there so many times in a short span tells you what a great team they actually were.

this was my initial thought. not that they should have won some of them.... just some great teams that didn't get it done.

the rams (vs NE).

soem of those earlier cowboys teams were pretty good.

Since my Niners have never, not once, lost a Super Bowl that they have played in, I'd have to go with the '06 Seahawks. The Seahawks would have beat the Steelers 8 out of 10 times, and were a far superior team than the Steelers. It just so happened to be one of the off-chance games that the Steelers won.

Not much you can do about it now, except of course wonder where the Steelers went... :D

Since when did the NFL start playing best of 10 series? Steelers won the only time they played them. Seattle had a horrible game plan and played like crap, but so did the Steelers.

You only get one shot. It's just like every year that Indy loses, they can probably beat ya 8 times out of 10 yet they lose the big one.

Why were the Steeelers favored in that game if they were so obviously superior? :D Vegas usually knows what they are doing.

Why were the Steeelers favored in that game if they were so obviously superior? :DVegas usually knows what they are doing.

Vegas 'odds' are made up by humans just like you and me. They are prone to mistakes.

You have a point though, regarding the Colts. In the NFL, you get one shot -- especially in the playoffs. The Seahawks choked, and the Steelers won. I'm just stating an opinion that the Seahawks are probably one of the better teams to make the Super Bowl and not win it.

I also like the thoughts on the Bills. They had such a dominant franchise, and made it to the Super Bowl so many times in such a short period of time, but didn't win it.

Since when did the NFL start playing best of 10 series?

This thread title is called the "best team to lose a Super bowl," so the point was valid for the discussion at hand. Hawk fans are still bitter about that loss for the same reason you Stealer fans are still so ultra-defensive about that "win." :D

This thread title is called the "best team to lose a Super bowl," so the point was valid for the discussion at hand. Hawk fans are still bitter about that loss for the same reason you Stealer fans are still so ultra-defensive about that "win." :D

criminals and hoods. some of my friends sell records, some of my friends sell drugs

Debating a point does not make you defensive. If you never stood up for your side of a debate there would be no discussion.

I was bitter in 1995 when the Steelers lost the superbowl. But for an entire year?

Seattle played a sloppy game in every aspect...offense (no big plays, dropped passes, INT in the redzone), defense (75 yard TD, 43 yard TD, Ben's big pass to the 1 yard line on like 3rd and over 20), special teams (missed FGs, punts into the endzone instead of down inside the 10), coaching (what the heck was the playcalling at the end of the half). Blaming the entire game on a couple penalties, that's weak. Especially when all the penalties except the chop block were correct as called. Only thing Seattle fans can say is "yeah it was a hold but you can call that on every play" or yeah that was a push off but not that bad of one....

Debating a point does not make you defensive.

This thread is a discussion about best super bowl losers. You are the only person here bringing up the offciating and defending the The only 6 time Super Bowl Winners and YOUR DADDY.

You should concentrate your efforts in this thread entitled: "Worst Team to Ever Win a Superbowl."

Edited by bushwacked

This thread is a discussion about best super bowl losers. You are the only person here bringing up the offciating and defending the The only 6 time Super Bowl Winners and YOUR DADDY.

You should concentrate your efforts in this thread entitled: "Worst Team to Ever Win a Superbowl."

Already did, simply said show me a reason they are the worst team to ever win.

When you beat the #1, #2, and #3 seeds all on the road in a very good AFC (which is why an 11-5 team managed to get the #6 seed) then go on to win vs. the NFC #1 seed...how can you call that the worst team to ever win? This all came a year after the Steelers went 15-1. Steelers were on a roll.

Steelers had a future hall of fame RB (Bettis), coach (Cowher), a roster stock full of pro bowlers past and present (Marvel Smith, Faneca, Hartings, Bettis, Ward, Hampton, A. Smith, Farrior, Porter, Troy P all have made the pro-bowl in their career). Worst team?

Only reason people are now saying they were the worst team is cause they stunk this year. But this year is not last year, just as Seahawks are much worse this year than they were last.

Edited by SteelerMurf

I have given the Steelers all the credit in the world. They won the game. The Seahawks, a.k.a Jerramy Stevens, played like crap. I am able to acknowledge that Pittsburgh won the game, but I can still walk away believing the Seahawks were the better team. It took the Seahawks to play one of their worst games of the season for Pitt to beat them.

I have given the Steelers all the credit in the world. They won the game. The Seahawks, a.k.a Jerramy Stevens, played like crap. I am able to acknowledge that Pittsburgh won the game, but I can still walk away believing the Seahawks were the better team. It took the Seahawks to play one of their worst games of the season for Pitt to beat them.

:D And still the Seahawks kept it a close game.

Hence, the reason they fit perfectly in this Thread. Are they the best SB loser? More than likely not.

This seems to be pretty clearly a homer-type thread, so I'll throw the '97 Packers into the equation - Favre was still playing at MVP level, Freeman and Chmura were in their prime, defense was still top notch, Dorsey Levens was the best Packer RB in between Ahman Green and John Brockington, etc.

Offense was 2nd in scoring, defense was 5th, both were top 10 in yds. But the D was a bit soft vs the run, and that was their downfall - especially when Gabe Wilkins went down with a knee injury early.

This was my first thought as well..But it is probably that 68 Colt team