[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Marty MUST go!

McBoog

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure if this accurate, but I heard on sports radio that LT only touched the ball 9 times in the 2nd half. If that is correct, I would call that a major error on the part of the chargers.

edit: I checked the stats and this appears to be accurate. I'm unclear why LT was such a small part of the game plan in the second half. After all, the chargers were in the lead for most of the half.

Yup. My goal as the guy calling the plays for the Chargers would have been to get LT at least 40 touches in the game. The fact that they were leading during the 2nd half is even more reason for LT to carry the ball and kill clock. I simply don't understand how San Diego does not utilize their best weapon on offense for almost the entire second half ... that is very poor coaching/play calling.

Doesn't Cam Cameron call the plays? :D Now we're blaming the utilization of Tomlinson on him too? Sure he has a say....but LT only getting 9 carries and not once 2 carries in a row in the second half is all Marty's fault? It's not like this is a comparison of Martz with Faulk.

Edit---and one more thing.....had LT got 20 carries in that second half and they lost....all we'd hear is how in the second half they went to Martyball and blew it :D

Edited by Hat Trick

Doesn't Cam Cameron call the plays? :D Now we're blaming the utilization of Tomlinson on him too? Sure he has a say....but LT only getting 9 carries and not once 2 carries in a row in the second half is all Marty's fault? It's not like this is a comparison of Martz with Faulk.

Edit---and one more thing.....had LT got 20 carries in that second half and they lost....all we'd hear is how in the second half they went to Martyball and blew it :D

You're right, double edged sword.

BUT... Marty as the head coach can still intervien and he didn't. There is a difference between Martyball and smart football. When LT rips of 6 1/2 and it is clear that the Pats are being outmuscled at the LOS, why call a play with shallow routes for and inc to Jackson? It doesn't make sence.

Smart football at this point is run the ball while you can! Not go completely into a shell, but if it is working, RUN LT, RUN.

Martyball was what we saw in Baltimore where they were running on 3rd and 9 just to not throw it, sit on the lead and not give the ball up. This was NOT a lead that could be "sat" on. What we are asking for is better utilization of the most dangerous weapon in football and he was only given the ball NINE times.

Truth be told, we don't know what was going on the sideline. Marty DOES wear a headset and it looked like he had one surgically implanted in the second half.

I think the criticism has gotten to him and paralyzed his ability to manage that game in his head. Once again, THAT trickles down. You may not see it as a player, but you can feel it.

If anything worries me about Cameron taking over, it would be a gunslinger attitude, sort of like Martz, if indeed that was all him in the secong half. The mindset of a team is the head coach's responsibility.

One man's trash is another man's treasure.

Given what's out there right now (Gailey, Mora, Shula) I'd take Marty as HC everyday and twice on Sunday.

Wayne Huizenga should be gassing up his private jet right about now and mapping a flight plan to San Diego as we speak.

San Diego is out of the playoffs not because it played too much Martyball but because it didn't play enough of it

Edited by Fantasy Jesus

Maybe this had to due with the fact that the Chargers were a young team with very little playoff experience, while their opponent has been battle-tested. When the playoffs come, it is a whole new atmosphere, the pressure is on and experience can be VERY helpful.

I really think that the issue you have is that in your head, the Chargers are the most talented team in football. This may or may not be true, as it is hard to judge talent. However, no matter how it happened, I knew you would blame Marty for this loss (he does deserve some blame, but, there is plenty to go around), as you did in their other two losses during the season.

Show me a post where I blame Marty for the loss in KC. The Chiefs won that game flat out. Show me where I say definitavely "they are the most talented. I have been careful to be respectful of all people and their teams on these boards. I have and do contend that they have the best DEPTH in The League.

One or two mistakes, fine, player meltdown. Systemic meltdown from coach to multiple, usually solid players... :D:D . There are pleanty of guys that have been there before to set the example. McCree, he has played in the show. Keenen has a ring. Many of these players were there when they melted down against the Jets. I don't buy it.

You want Marty. Great! The Steelers, like the Chargers do not need Marty. They don't need to be rebuilt or coached up. They are a solid, experienced team and Marty, IMO, is not the solution!

:clap: Piling on (and it don't suit you! :bash:)

Wayne Huizenga should be gassing up his private jet right about now and mapping a flight plan to San Diego as we speak.

San Diego is out of the playoffs not because it played too much Martyball but because it didn't play enough of it

:D

kinda forgot about the home loss to the Jets last year......... A few more L under Marty in postseason

Martyball...........................

LT was averaging around 5-6yds per carry. No one is saying run him 20 times if it's not working. However, when it is working, run LT. Throw him some swing passes or screens. Involve the league MVP in the game plan, particularly when you hold the lead.

LT was averaging around 5-6yds per carry. No one is saying run him 20 times if it's not working. However, when it is working, run LT. Throw him some swing passes or screens. Involve the league MVP in the game plan, particularly when you hold the lead.

You bring up a very good point, I didn't realize how much they went away from LT.

< NOD >

It is not "Marty Ball" to feed the ball to LT in the 2nd half with a lead AND with LT chewing up large chunks of yards with every touch.

Marty simply does not know how to manage a game. He can't manage the clock, he can't manage time outs, he can't adjust his game plan when adjustments are needed and apparently he can't get his team ready for big games.

The only reason I can think of for LT NOT to be involved in the 2nd half is because the original game plan devised prior to the game must have called for a heavy dose of Philip Rivers in the 2nd half. Perhaps SD felt like their lead was big enough that they could afford to mess around. Either way Marty did not manage the game in such a manner as to allow his team to win.

Granted there were some key errors on the part of individual SD players. The head butt was pure stupidity. Osgood made an unforgiveable mistake when he didn't fall on the punt he had just muffed ... instead he attempted to pick it up with the Patriots special teams coverage right in his face. Players are drilled from the time they are in pee-wee football to FALL ON THE BALL! Fumbling the ball away after intercepting a Tom Brady pass hurt as well.

But bottom line. Had SD been feeding the ball to LT in the second half they would have been killing NE's chance to scrore as many points as they did. Additionally pissing away 2 timeouts was disaster. SD was moving the ball very well and with 2 timeouts at the end of the game they could have easily put Kaeding in position to kick the winning FG. These mistakes I put solely on the shoulders of the HC.

"By JERRY SULLIVAN

Last month, in a phone interview before his team's visit to Buffalo, Chargers General Manager A.J. Smith told me about the pyramid of responsibility he had learned as a Bills scout under Bill Polian and Marv Levy.

"When people step out of that arena and have an opinion on everything else, that's when I have a problem," Smith said. "What is your little circle in that pyramid? There's a lot of people who think they know everything."

It was clear that Smith was talking about his non-existent relationship with Marty Schottenheimer, who Smith felt had strayed from his spot on the pyramid by meddling in personnel matters.

After that conversation, I had no doubt that Smith was waiting for a chance to fire his coach, and that there would be hell to pay if the Chargers didn't win in the playoffs.

Well, Schottenheimer is in deep trouble now. Sunday, he put a couple of bullets in the GM's gun when the top-seeded Chargers lost at home to the Patriots, 24-21.

Team President Dean Spanos will decide Schottenheimer's fate this week. Smith's recommendation will be a big factor. It's hard to imagine the GM giving his estranged coach a thumbs-up.

They ought to fire Schottenheimer. Sure, he led the Chargers to a 14-2 record in the regular season. He has 200 career wins, the most of any active coach. LaDainian Tomlinson, the MVP running back, said the players were responsible for the loss and that Schottenheimer "didn't have any control over it."

That's ridiculous. The NFL is a coaches' league. Coaches have enormous control. As any Bills fan could tell you, they prove themselves on game day, in the crucial moments, when they make the snap decisions that decide games.

Schottenheimer is 5-13 in the postseason. He has lost six in a row, a league record. The last four have been at home, three as the top overall seed in the AFC. Only once has Schottenheimer beaten a higher seed. Seven of his 13 playoff losses have been by three or fewer points.

He lived down to his reputation Sunday, making enough poor decisions to cost his team the game. Late in the first half, the Chargers went on fourth-and-11, passing up a 47-yard field goal attempt. Philip Rivers was sacked and the Pats wound up getting a field goal.

The worst gaffe came late in the game, after Marlon McCree fumbled the ball away to the Pats after an interception. Schottenheimer threw a challenge flag, though replays clearly showed he had no chance of a reversal. It was a waste of a timeout, a sign of panic.

The timeout would have come in handy later when San Diego was forced to attempt a 54-yard field goal with eight seconds left. Schottenheimer could have run one more play and tried to get his team closer for the potential tying kick, but he didn't have the guts.

Smith and Spanos have every right to be angry. This was their year. They had the best talent in football. The window was open. The question was whether a career playoff failure could get them through it.

Not every mistake was Marty's. The Chargers had two dumb personal fouls, two fumbles and countless dropped passes. The one pass they should have dropped - McCree's fourth-down interception - turned the game around.

Still, when teams play dumb it's a reflection of the coach. That's the way it works. It's no coincidence that the Patriots are 12-1 in the playoffs under Bill Belichick. You can't anoint Belichick a genius for winning all the big games and dismiss it as bad luck when Schottenheimer's teams always find a way to lose.

Schottenheimer lost the power struggle with his GM. He lost another playoff game. He can consider himself lucky if he doesn't lose his job.

Being rational will not convince these Charger fans (to be honest, a lot of non-Charger fans) thats firing him will NOT solve their problems.

Good luck with your next Jim Mora Jr, or whoever you get to fill that spot.

Guest NewbieTewl

From where I sit when teams go into the playoffs with a coach and that coach falls short if their response is to cut him, that is rarely a good thing for the team. The only example I can think of recently that worked well for the team was when the Bucs dropped Dungy for Gruden. All other examples Niners,Siefort for Mariuchi-Bad, Raiders, Gruden for (cannot remember) bad, Marty himself a few times as already mentioned. What the Steelers did with Cowher, and Denver with Shanahan makes sense I think. With that in mind I retain Marty and give him more chances. 14-2 is a darn fine record.

Not sure if it has been mentioned or not, but I heard if Marty isn't fired then he might actually get an extension to his current contract to avoid the lame dcuk coaching thing. :D

Yeah they did that with Mike Sherman too. Then fired him the next year. If players are expected to live out contracts why not coaches?

Again, I don't know if marty should be canned.

But please, can one marty defender explain to me why LT was not part of the game plan in the second half. Respectfully, saying that if marty had run LT 20 times and the chargers lost , we'd be accusing marty of "martyball" is not an explanation as to why the league mvp was not an integral part of the game plan in the 2nd half. Additionally, saying that "marty does not call the plays, his offensive coordinator does" is also not an explanation as to why LT was apparently an afterthought in the 2nd half. Marty is the head coach. If he is aware that the best player on the team is only window dressing, one could argue it's up to him to speak to the O.C. and encourage him directly to give the ball to LT.

But please, can one marty defender explain to me why LT was not part of the game plan in the second half.

There is no logical explanation. This question has been raised on SD Sports radio, on all the local TV stations sports programs, and in the Union-Tribune without one good explanation.

I will tell you that the same scrutiny occurred after the loss in Baltimore regarding the conservative play-calling, and Marty opened up the offense. I suspect Marty has already noted this latest criticism of how LT was used last Sunday and will make changes next year. Marty has finally learned to listen to others and adapt strategies for the future. That's something I hadn't seen earlier in his career.

Again, I don't know if marty should be canned.

The following coaches never won a Super Bowl, either, and I'd say that they were all excellent HCs: Dan Reeves, Marv Levy, Bud Grant, and George Allen. I'd say that Marty is probably on the same level as the latter two and don't believe that any of them "weren't good enough" to win a SB.

Edited by Bill Swerski

There is no logical explanation. This question has been raised on SD Sports radio, on all the local TV stations sports programs, and in the Union-Tribune without one good explanation.

I will tell you that the same scrutiny occurred after the loss in Baltimore regarding the conservative play-calling, and Marty opened up the offense. I suspect Marty has already noted this latest criticism of how LT was used last Sunday and will make changes next year. Marty has finally learned to listen to others and adapt strategies for the future. That's something I hadn't seen earlier in his career.

well. at least I know I haven't missed anything.

Again, I don't know if marty should be gone...I'm still trying to understand why LT was not part of the game plan in the 2nd half of the game.

Read this and I think it tells you why he was not a bigger part in the 2nd half.

Third Quarter

San Diego Chargers at 15:00

N.Kaeding kicks 59 yards from SD 30 to NE 11. L.Maroney to NE 23 for 12 yards (K.Osgood).

New England Patriots at 14:56

1-10-NE23 (14:56) (Shotgun) T.Brady pass short left to R.Caldwell to NE 29 for 6 yards (A.Cromartie).

2-4-NE29 (14:23) (Shotgun) T.Brady pass short right to J.Gaffney to NE 27 for -2 yards (Q.Jammer).

3-6-NE27 (13:38) (Shotgun) T.Brady pass short left to R.Caldwell to NE 32 for 5 yards (A.Cromartie).

4-1-NE32 (12:45) T.Sauerbrun punts 42 yards to SD 26, Center-L.Paxton. E.Parker to SD 34 for 8 yards (P.Woods).

San Diego Chargers at 12:35

1-10-SD34 (12:35) L.Tomlinson left tackle to SD 36 for 2 yards (T.Bruschi).

2-8-SD36 (11:53) (Shotgun) P.Rivers pass incomplete short right to A.Gates.

3-8-SD36 (11:49) (Shotgun) P.Rivers pass incomplete deep right to V.Jackson.

4-8-SD36 (11:43) M.Scifres punts 32 yards to NE 32, Center-D.Binn, downed by SD-D.Binn.

New England Patriots at 11:32

1-10-NE32 (11:32) T.Brady pass incomplete short left to T.Brown.

2-10-NE32 (11:27) L.Maroney up the middle to NE 32 for no gain (D.Edwards, M.McCree).

3-10-NE32 (10:45) (Shotgun) T.Brady pass deep right intended for T.Brown INTERCEPTED by D.Florence at NE 49. D.Florence ran ob at NE 32 for 17 yards (M.Light).

San Diego Chargers at 10:32

1-10-NE32 (10:32) L.Tomlinson left end pushed ob at NE 26 for 6 yards (A.Hawkins).

2-4-NE26 (10:00) L.Neal up the middle to NE 23 for 3 yards (T.Warren).

3-1-NE23 (9:28) P.Rivers up the middle to NE 21 for 2 yards (T.Bruschi).

1-10-NE21 (8:50) L.Tomlinson right tackle to NE 21 for no gain (A.Hawkins, M.Vrabel).

PENALTY on SD-M.Goff, Offensive Holding, 9 yards, enforced at NE 21 - No Play.

1-19-NE30 (8:16) P.Rivers pass incomplete deep middle to V.Jackson.

2-19-NE30 (8:09) L.Tomlinson up the middle to NE 28 for 2 yards (T.Warren). Penalty on SD-L.Neal, Illegal Motion, declined.

3-17-NE28 (7:38) (Shotgun) P.Rivers sacked at NE 38 for -10 yards (J.Sanders).

4-27-NE38 (7:26) M.Scifres punts 36 yards to NE 2, Center-D.Binn, downed by SD-D.Binn.

New England Patriots at 07:17

1-10-NE2 (7:17) (Shotgun) T.Brady pass incomplete deep left to J.Gaffney.

2-10-NE2 (7:12) (Shotgun) T.Brady pass short left to T.Brown pushed ob at NE 14 for 12 yards (S.Merriman).

1-10-NE14 (6:54) (Shotgun) T.Brady pass short middle to K.Faulk to NE 20 for 6 yards (D.Edwards, S.Phillips).

2-4-NE20 (6:17) (Shotgun) T.Brady pass incomplete deep right to T.Brown.

3-4-NE20 (6:11) K.Faulk up the middle to NE 18 for -2 yards (D.Edwards).

4-6-NE18 (5:32) T.Sauerbrun punts 51 yards to SD 31, Center-L.Paxton. E.Parker MUFFS catch, RECOVERED by NE-D.Thomas at SD 31. D.Thomas to SD 31 for no gain (M.Wilhelm).

1-10-SD31 (5:20) (Shotgun) T.Brady pass incomplete deep left to J.Gaffney.

PENALTY on SD-D.Florence, Illegal Contact, 5 yards, enforced at SD 31 - No Play.

1-10-SD26 (5:16) (Shotgun) T.Brady pass incomplete deep middle to B.Watson (S.Cooper).

2-10-SD26 (5:10) T.Brady pass incomplete short middle to K.Faulk.

PENALTY on NE-L.Mankins, Offensive Pass Interference, 10 yards, enforced at SD 26 - No Play.

2-20-SD36 (5:05) (Shotgun) T.Brady pass short right to T.Brown to SD 29 for 7 yards (Q.Jammer).

3-13-SD29 (4:30) (Shotgun) T.Brady sacked at SD 36 for -7 yards (S.Phillips). FUMBLES (S.Phillips), touched at SD 37, recovered by NE-M.Light at SD 37. M.Light to SD 33 for 4 yards (L.Castillo).

PENALTY on SD-D.Florence, Unnecessary Roughness, 15 yards, enforced at SD 33.

1-10-SD18 (3:58) L.Maroney right end to SD 14 for 4 yards (T.Kiel). FUMBLES (T.Kiel), ball out of bounds at SD 14.

2-6-SD14 (3:32) L.Maroney left end to SD 14 for no gain (D.Edwards, M.McCree).

PENALTY on NE-L.Mankins, Offensive Holding, 10 yards, enforced at SD 14 - No Play.

2-16-SD24 (2:59) (Shotgun) T.Brady pass incomplete deep right to B.Watson.

3-16-SD24 (2:54) (Shotgun) T.Brady pass short middle to J.Gaffney to SD 16 for 8 yards (D.Edwards).

4-8-SD16 (2:15) S.Gostkowski 34 yard field goal is GOOD, Center-L.Paxton, Holder-M.Cassel.

NE 13 SD 14, Plays: 7 Yards: 15 Possession: 3:09.

New England Patriots at 02:11

S.Gostkowski kicks 65 yards from NE 30 to SD 5, out of bounds.

San Diego Chargers at 02:11

1-10-SD40 (2:11) P.Rivers pass short middle to V.Jackson to NE 48 for 12 yards (T.Bruschi, J.Sanders).

1-10-NE48 (1:31) L.Tomlinson left end to NE 39 for 9 yards (T.Bruschi).

2-1-NE39 (:52) L.Neal up the middle to NE 37 for 2 yards (V.Wilfork, T.Bruschi).

1-10-NE37 (:09) P.Rivers pass short right intended for L.Tomlinson INTERCEPTED by R.Colvin at NE 36. R.Colvin to NE 36 for no gain (L.Tomlinson).

Fourth Quarter

New England Patriots at 15:00

1-10-NE36 (15:00) (Shotgun) T.Brady pass incomplete short middle to K.Faulk.

2-10-NE36 (14:58) (Shotgun) T.Brady pass short left to J.Gaffney ran ob at SD 49 for 15 yards (A.Cromartie) [L.Castillo].

1-10-SD49 (14:45) (Shotgun) T.Brady pass short right to R.Caldwell to SD 45 for 4 yards (D.Florence).

2-6-SD45 (14:08) (Shotgun) T.Brady pass short left to T.Brown to SD 41 for 4 yards (D.Florence).

3-2-SD41 (13:30) (Shotgun) T.Brady pass incomplete short left to J.Gaffney (A.Cromartie).

4-2-SD41 (13:26) T.Sauerbrun punts 24 yards to SD 17, Center-L.Paxton, fair catch by E.Parker.

San Diego Chargers at 13:19

1-10-SD17 (13:19) L.Tomlinson right end to SD 30 for 13 yards (A.Hawkins).

1-10-SD30 (12:33) M.Turner left end pushed ob at SD 31 for 1 yard (J.Sanders).

2-9-SD31 (11:59) P.Rivers pass deep right to A.Gates ran ob at 50 for 19 yards.

1-10-50 (11:31) L.Tomlinson left tackle to NE 47 for 3 yards (V.Wilfork).

2-7-NE47 (10:49) P.Rivers pass incomplete deep right to E.Parker (A.Samuel).

3-7-NE47 (10:41) P.Rivers pass short middle to A.Gates to NE 35 for 12 yards (A.Hawkins).

1-10-NE35 (10:03) L.Tomlinson right tackle to NE 34 for 1 yard (M.Vrabel).

2-9-NE34 (9:20) P.Rivers pass deep left to V.Jackson to NE 3 for 31 yards (E.Hobbs).

1-3-NE3 (8:40) L.Tomlinson left end for 3 yards, TOUCHDOWN.

N.Kaeding extra point is GOOD, Center-D.Binn, Holder-M.Scifres.

PENALTY on SD-S.Olivea, Unnecessary Roughness, 15 yards, enforced between downs.

NE 13 SD 21, Plays: 9 Yards: 83 Possession: 4:44.

San Diego Chargers at 08:35

N.Kaeding kicks 63 yards from SD 15 to NE 22. E.Hobbs to NE 37 for 15 yards (G.Camarillo, K.Osgood).

New England Patriots at 08:28

1-10-NE37 (8:28) (Shotgun) T.Brady pass incomplete deep middle to T.Brown (C.Polk) [C.Polk].

2-10-NE37 (8:22) (Shotgun) T.Brady pass deep middle to J.Gaffney to SD 46 for 17 yards (Q.Jammer).

1-10-SD46 (7:49) (Shotgun) T.Brady pass short middle to K.Faulk to SD 41 for 5 yards (D.Edwards).

2-5-SD41 (7:10) (Shotgun) T.Brady pass incomplete deep right to T.Brown [D.Edwards].

3-5-SD41 (7:04) (Shotgun) T.Brady sacked at SD 41 for 0 yards (S.Merriman).

4-5-SD41 (6:25) (Shotgun) T.Brady pass short middle intended for T.Brown INTERCEPTED by M.McCree at SD 31. M.McCree to SD 34 for 3 yards (T.Brown). FUMBLES (T.Brown), RECOVERED by NE-R.Caldwell at SD 32. Play Challenged by SD and Upheld. (Timeout #1 by SD at 06:16.)

1-10-SD32 (6:16) (Shotgun) T.Brady pass short right to J.Gaffney to SD 25 for 7 yards (Q.Jammer).

2-3-SD25 (5:35) (Shotgun) T.Brady pass incomplete short right to B.Watson.

3-3-SD25 (5:31) (Shotgun) T.Brady pass short left to J.Gaffney to SD 13 for 12 yards (A.Cromartie).

1-10-SD13 (4:46) (Shotgun) T.Brady pass short left to B.Watson pushed ob at SD 4 for 9 yards (T.Kiel).

2-1-SD4 (4:41) T.Brady pass short left to R.Caldwell for 4 yards, TOUCHDOWN.

TWO-POINT CONVERSION ATTEMPT. K.Faulk rushes up the middle. ATTEMPT SUCCEEDS.

NE 21 SD 21, Plays: 5 Yards: 32 Possession: 1:40.

New England Patriots at 04:36

S.Gostkowski kicks 56 yards from NE 30 to SD 14. A.Cromartie to SD 29 for 15 yards (E.Alexander).

San Diego Chargers at 04:30

1-10-SD29 (4:30) L.Tomlinson right tackle to SD 34 for 5 yards (T.Bruschi).

2-5-SD34 (3:53) P.Rivers pass incomplete short left to V.Jackson (E.Hobbs).

3-5-SD34 (3:46) (Shotgun) P.Rivers pass incomplete short right to E.Parker (A.Samuel).

4-5-SD34 (3:42) M.Scifres punts 51 yards to NE 15, Center-D.Binn. K.Faulk pushed ob at NE 15 for no gain (K.Osgood).

New England Patriots at 03:30

1-10-NE15 (3:30) (Shotgun) T.Brady pass deep middle to D.Graham to NE 34 for 19 yards (T.Kiel).

1-10-NE34 (2:52) (Shotgun) T.Brady pass incomplete deep right to D.Graham (R.Godfrey).

2-10-NE34 (2:45) T.Brady pass incomplete short middle to K.Faulk [s.Cooper].

3-10-NE34 (2:42) (Shotgun) T.Brady pass deep right to R.Caldwell ran ob at SD 17 for 49 yards.

1-10-SD17 (2:31) C.Dillon left end to SD 15 for 2 yards (M.McCree).

2-8-SD15 (2:18) C.Dillon right tackle to SD 12 for 3 yards (C.Polk).

3-5-SD12 (2:00) C.Dillon up the middle to SD 13 for -1 yards (L.Castillo, S.Cooper).

4-6-SD13 (1:14) S.Gostkowski 31 yard field goal is GOOD, Center-L.Paxton, Holder-M.Cassel.

NE 24 SD 21, Plays: 8 Yards: 72 Possession: 2:20.

New England Patriots at 01:10

S.Gostkowski kicks 69 yards from NE 30 to SD 1. M.Turner to SD 25 for 24 yards (E.Alexander).

San Diego Chargers at 01:05

1-10-SD25 (1:05) (Shotgun) P.Rivers pass short middle to A.Gates to SD 39 for 14 yards (C.Scott).

1-10-SD39 (:40) P.Rivers pass short right to A.Gates to SD 43 for 4 yards (C.Scott).

2-6-SD43 (:24) P.Rivers spiked the ball to stop the clock.

3-6-SD43 (:24) P.Rivers pass deep middle to E.Parker to NE 36 for 21 yards (A.Hawkins).

1-10-NE36 (:24) P.Rivers spiked the ball to stop the clock.

2-10-NE36 (:08) N.Kaeding 54 yard field goal is No Good, Short, Center-D.Binn, Holder-M.Scifres.

PENALTY on NE, Unsportsmanlike Conduct, 15 yards, enforced at NE 44.

New England Patriots at 00:03

1-10-NE29 (:03) T.Brady kneels, dead ball declared at NE 28 for -1 yards.