[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Marty MUST go!

McBoog

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

right...............this group of players going 5-11, solid call there.

It's more accurate than your assessment of his coaching career. If Earnest Byner doesn't fumble on the 2 yrd line, he is most likely remembered like Bill Cowher.

The team before Shott was one of worst in league, and that is a fact. He built this team from the ground up, and you wanna say the game has passed him by after a playoff loss to the Pats? You need to stop listening to San Diego sports radio so much...

Not sure about the team being "emotionally unprepared" BUT I do think Marty's time has come. He has taken them as far as he can, and they will never win a SB under Marty. He is a dinosaur, and needs to be put out to pasture. This team is too talented to have Marty running the ship with his playing not to lose philosophy. If I were a Bolts fan, I would want a change. Bill Simmons had a great article on this, these 65 year old coaches just are not gonna get it done. I think the NFL is becoming more of a young coaches game, as evidenced by most of the top coaches being failry young. Old-school, tough as nails, solid fundamental coach, but not gonna win the big one for ya.

I mean, the guy is 5-13 in the playoffs, he is what he is and is not changing now.

Very well said. I think Dean Spanos is thinking the same thing

But I wonder who's out there that's any better than Marty. :D

Very well said. I think Dean Spanos is thinking the same thing

But I wonder who's out there that's any better than Marty. :D

Yeah, that is the question for sure. but I think this years shows you young coaches groomed the right way can really so well. Mangini? Payton? I think Marty has had a nice career but do SD fans really think he can take them all the way? honestly? I would rather go with a younger coach on the upwsing than Marty, but that is just My opinion.

from the Simmons article - http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story...=simmons/070112

• If you picked the best 2006 coaching jobs strictly in terms of "maximizing the talent on hand," any unbiased person would go with Sean Payton, Bill Belichick, Eric Mangini, Jeff Fisher, Lovie Smith and Brian Billick in some order. I would also include Mike McCarthy and Mike Nolan

It is a young man's game - and I think we have all seen the geezers not do too well- Shell, Gibbs, Coughlin, Denny Green.

Yeah, that is the question for sure. but I think this years shows you young coaches groomed the right way can really so well. Mangini? Payton? I think Marty has had a nice career but do SD fans really think he can take them all the way? honestly? I would rather go with a younger coach on the upwsing than Marty, but that is just My opinion.

from the Simmons article - http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story...=simmons/070112

• If you picked the best 2006 coaching jobs strictly in terms of "maximizing the talent on hand," any unbiased person would go with Sean Payton, Bill Belichick, Eric Mangini, Jeff Fisher, Lovie Smith and Brian Billick in some order. I would also include Mike McCarthy and Mike Nolan

It is a young man's game - and I think we have all seen the geezers not do too well- Shell, Gibbs, Coughlin, Denny Green.

I think you can throw Parcells in with that group of geezers too.

It's more accurate than your assessment of his coaching career. If Earnest Byner doesn't fumble on the 2 yrd line, he is most likely remembered like Bill Cowher.

The team before Shott was one of worst in league, and that is a fact. He built this team from the ground up, and you wanna say the game has passed him by after a playoff loss to the Pats? You need to stop listening to San Diego sports radio so much...

not a SD homer at all.

sports are filled with if's, I would say that Marty BECAME Marty ball because of that early misfortune. I think he has been a great coach - I just would not want him steering the ship when you have such a good shot winning the whole thing

not a SD homer at all.

sports are filled with if's, I would say that Marty BECAME Marty ball because of that early misfortune. I think he has been a great coach - I just would not want him steering the ship when you have such a good shot winning the whole thing

But the Chargers have that chance becuase he built that team. How can you say the game has passed him by when he jsut led them to the best record in franchise history?

Not sure about the team being "emotionally unprepared" BUT I do think Marty's time has come. He has taken them as far as he can, and they will never win a SB under Marty. He is a dinosaur, and needs to be put out to pasture. This team is too talented to have Marty running the ship with his playing not to lose philosophy.

Rubbish! To Marty's credit he stopped the conservative crap after the Raven's loss early in the season. The Chargers lost to the Pats because Parker fumbling punts, receivers dropping the ball, and Rivers shot putting the ball directly to a Colts player. If that doesn't happen, all the sudden Marty is one home game victory away from a superbowl and not an old dinosaur who has had the game pass him by. The Charger players lost this largely lost this on their own. I'll give Marty some blame for challenging that call and going for it on the 4th and 11. (Playing not to lose?)

Rubbish! To Marty's credit he stopped the conservative crap after the Raven's loss early in the season. The Chargers lost to the Pats because Parker fumbling punts, receivers dropping the ball, and Rivers shot putting the ball directly to a Colts player. If that doesn't happen, all the sudden Marty is one home game victory away from a superbowl and not an old dinosaur who has had the game pass him by. The Charger players lost this largely lost this on their own. I'll give Marty some blame for challenging that call and going for it on the 4th and 11. (Playing not to lose?)

Obviously the players have to make the plays to win a playoff game, and the blame cannot be put squarley on Marty, but I don't think the 5-13 playoff record is a coincidence.

Alot of reasons really- but I think alot of it has to do with the mentality the head guy creates. Belicheck, for example creates an atmoshpere on the Pats of believing they can, and will win. Marty? a playoff atmoshpere of tight sphincters and a fear of losing IMO.

I think the 4th and 11 call screams desperation, and it was a horrible call.

Well I do agree that Marty is a great evaluator of talent, but correct me if I'm mistaken, but didnt the GM and the previous GM (that died of cancer a year or so ago) build this team just as much as Marty did? I dont' think we can give Marty all the credit of building the team...now the coaching staff maybe another story. Anyway...I saw a special on the GM who passed away....sad story from what seemed like a very humble and good guy. Bad loss for Football. I don't remember this being talked about here when he passed, but it had to of.

Obviously the players have to make the plays to win a playoff game, and the blame cannot be put squarley on Marty, but I don't think the 5-13 playoff record is a coincidence.

It is definitely fair to point out his record and I also think his ultra-conservative calling is largely responsible for being 5-13 in the playoffs. But for this year and last week's game, I can only go by what I saw. And I watched an old fashioned coach alter his approach to give his team a better chance to win and then the players ultimately failed him at the end. I think the "ancient dinasour" thing is a reach and Marty is the best coach for the job right now in San Diego. Often fans are too quick to blame a coach. Don't forget Holmgren was 0-3 with the Hawks last year before the Redskins game and he was on the hot seat before the 2005 season.

Wait a minute, Marty has 13 post season losses. That means that he's coached his teams to the playoffs 13 times. What's there to bitch about?

Plenty, if you want to win a Super Bowl. Dude can't get there.

Just for the simple train wreck that was the 'final drive' he should go: the TEAM'S (and Rivers') inability to perform, much less get the formations correct, comes down to coaching pure and simple.

Also, what's wrong with a 5-7 yard slant to the sideline with 8 seconds left to shave some distance for Kaeding?

Late. :D

Plenty, if you want to win a Super Bowl. Dude can't get there.

Just for the simple train wreck that was the 'final drive' he should go: the TEAM'S (and Rivers') inability to perform, much less get the formations correct, comes down to coaching pure and simple.

Also, what's wrong with a 5-7 yard slant to the sideline with 8 seconds left to shave some distance for Kaeding?

Besides the chance of him not getting out of bounds on his own, and the clock continuing to run?

Hmmm... now that i've thougth about it, you guys are right.

Hell, let's just blame Shott for that kick going wide. If he coached that kicker better, and got it in his head that he COULD hit that kick, they would have won.

And a better coach would have been more intimidating to the opposing team, and would have spooked them out into thinking they had no chance to covert a 4th down pass.

Fire him. Fire him now and give him a free plane ticket out of town to speed up the process. Miami or Pittsburgh preferrably I would think...

Edited by The Vatican Hitsquad

I'm not sure if this accurate, but I heard on sports radio that LT only touched the ball 9 times in the 2nd half. If that is correct, I would call that a major error on the part of the chargers.

edit: I checked the stats and this appears to be accurate. I'm unclear why LT was such a small part of the game plan in the second half. After all, the chargers were in the lead for most of the half.

Edited by untateve

Besides the chance of him not getting out of bounds on his own, and the clock continuing to run?

When you're in the playoffs, you need to play to win. A trainwreck of a two minute drill isn't doing that.

Are you saying there's no 5-7 yard slant towards the sideline designed to get the yardage AND stop the clock in their aresenal? If yes is the answer, he should go.

Are you saying there's a 5-7 yard slant towards the sideline designed to get the yardage AND stop the clock in their aresenal but instead played it conservative (MartyBall) and didn't use it? If yes is the answer, he should go.

I say this because you know what you get with Schottenheimer: Mr. Regular Season. You like 14-2, 13-3? Keep him. You want a SHOT at winning a title, look elsewhere.

LT touched the ball 9 times in the second half? Moran.

Edited by Pope Flick

But the Chargers have that chance becuase he built that team. How can you say the game has passed him by when he jsut led them to the best record in franchise history?

Marty has nothing to do with personel decisions. AJ Smith does that, period! One of the rifts that deepened the problems with AJ and Marty was Brees. Marty wanted to keep him.

When you're in the playoffs, you need to play to win. A trainwreck of a two minute drill isn't doing that.

Are you saying there's no 5-7 yard slant towards the sideline designed to get the yardage AND stop the clock in their aresenal? If yes is the answer, he should go.

Are you saying there's a 5-7 yard slant towards the sideline designed to get the yardage AND stop the clock in their aresenal but instead played it conservative (MartyBall) and didn't use it? If yes is the answer, he should go.

I say this because you know what you get with Schottenheimer: Mr. Regular Season. You like 14-2, 13-3? Keep him. You want a SHOT at winning a title, look elsewhere.

LT touched the ball 9 times in the second half? Moran.

isn't a slant route, by definition, from the outside in toward the middle of the field? :D

Marty is a very good coach. He should not be fired following a 14-2 season. That is insanity.

He closed out his last year here in DC on a 5 game win streak and I wanted to see him return. Of course, Snyder has no patience and went and got Spurrier. And the ol ball coach failed and blew three years for us.

Dont be suckers and shoot the easiest target. Sometimes you just lose games. Marty can get teams emotionally involved and fired up to win. And with the right supporting cast is a helluva coach.

Marty is a very good coach. He should not be fired following a 14-2 season. That is insanity.

He closed out his last year here in DC on a 5 game win streak and I wanted to see him return. Of course, Snyder has no patience and went and got Spurrier. And the ol ball coach failed and blew three years for us.

Dont be suckers and shoot the easiest target. Sometimes you just lose games. Marty can get teams emotionally involved and fired up to win. And with the right supporting cast is a helluva coach.

naw, Marty is Marty, the hard working solid guy who brings the hot girl to the party, while someone else takes her home. The guy is a dinosaur, he will never win big games, or a title- he is DONE. He is very good at turning 5-11 into 9-7, 10-6, and the Chargers case, a nice season. I like the guy, I really do, but if my team is challenging for an NFL title, I want someone not seeing movies for $5 bucks and shootin for 100 grams of fiber a day.

Only so much you have to give, and I think, a bit sadly, his time has come.

I respek the hell outta the guy, but cmon, times and the game change......

the Bernie Kosar days are long gone

isn't a slant route, by definition, from the outside in toward the middle of the field? :D

Now that I think about it, you're right. Here are WR route terms according to the "football dictionary."

Curl, Curl In: A pass route in which the receiver runs downfield, then turns back toward the line of scrimmage.

Down-And-In: A pass route in which the receiver runs straight downfield, then cuts sharply toward the middle of the field.

Down-And-Out: A pass route In which the receiver runs straight downfield, then cuts sharply toward the sideline.

Hitch-and-Go: A pass route in which the runner breaks straight downfield, fakes to the right or left as if he is about to catch a short pass, then races farther downfield.

Post pattern, Post route: A receiver runs 10-15 yards down field then breaks toward the middle at a 45% degree angle. Post refers to the general direction of the goal post.

Square-in: A pass route in which the receiver runs downfield for several yards, then cuts at a right angle toward the center of the field.

Square-out: A pass route in which the receiver runs downfield for several yards, then cuts at a right angle toward the nearest sideline.

Turn in: A pass route in which the receiver runs, downfield for a short distance, then turns toward the middle of the field.

Turn out: A pass route in which the receiver runs downfield for a short distance, then turns toward one of the sidelines.

naw, Marty is Marty, the hard working solid guy who brings the hot girl to the party, while someone else takes her home. The guy is a dinosaur, he will never win big games, or a title- he is DONE. He is very good at turning 5-11 into 9-7, 10-6, and the Chargers case, a nice season. I like the guy, I really do, but if my team is challenging for an NFL title, I want someone not seeing movies for $5 bucks and shootin for 100 grams of fiber a day.

Only so much you have to give, and I think, a bit sadly, his time has come.

I respek the hell outta the guy, but cmon, times and the game change......

the Bernie Kosar days are long gone

So, basically, he is just as good as any coach the Seahawks have ever had ? :D