[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Separation of Church & State and NOW the NFL

keggerz

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/arti...ORTS03/70201036

The (Super Bowl) party's over

By Robert King

robert.king@indystar.com

Churches in Indiana and across the country are scrapping traditional Super Bowl viewing parties in wake of the NFL’s stance that mass viewings of the game on big screen TV’s would violate copyright law.

The issue came to light Thursday when the Star reported that the NFL had told Fall Creek Baptist Church in Indianapolis that its plans for a Super Bowl watch party in front a big screen TV would be illegal.

NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said Thursday the league stands by its interpretation of copyright law and would look into any violators that comes to the league’s attention. The main concern for the league, Aiello said, is groups that charge admission to watch games and those that use a TV screen larger than 55 inches to show the game.

A story about Fall Creek’s plan to cancel its game viewing plans prompted dozens of calls and more than 500 email comments to the Star’s website Thursday. Aiello said media from around the country have been inquiring with the league as well.

In Indianapolis, home of the AFC Champion Colts, Indian Creek Christian Church and Castleton United Methodist Church are among those who have cancelled plans to watch the game in their churches.

The issue came to light after the NFL confronted Fall Creek about its promotion of a “Super Bowl Bash” at the church that would bring together congregation members to watch the game with a projection TV.

Aiello said the league has a longstanding policy against “mass out-of-home viewings” of the Super Bowl, even if the hosts don’t charge admission. The NFL makes an exception to that, however, for sports bars that show televised sports on a regular basis. And that point has been a point of considerable anger among people who have contacted the newspaper in response to the story.

Edited by keggerz

If the game is on a free network channel & the church isn't making a tape of the game to redistribute, I don't understand how the NFL can enforce copyright laws in regard to the a church showing the game. That sports bars can show the game in front of a mass audience without compensating the NFL only reinforces that view.

Can a legal type here explain how the NFL has any standing?

We are only a few very short years away from pay-per-view NFL games. It WILL happen!

You mean like Sunday Ticket?

Aren't they charging $20 per game if you don't have the package. They say that to me.

If the game is on a free network channel & the church isn't making a tape of the game to redistribute, I don't understand how the NFL can enforce copyright laws in regard to the a church showing the game. That sports bars can show the game in front of a mass audience without compensating the NFL only reinforces that view.

Can a legal type here explain how the NFL has any standing?

As far as I understand it, the problem the NFL had with the Church was that they initially were planning on charging for the event.

As far as I understand it, the problem the NFL had with the Church was that they initially were planning on charging for the event.

Your understanding is wrong. They are banning the showing even though the church isn't charging anymore (although the church was moranic for charging to begin with).

For this week only, I was chosen to fill out one of those Nielson TV viewing surveys and I might just put down that I watched somethings besides the Superbowl on Sunday just to stick it to the NFL in my own small way.

But that's the thing. The church was originally charging a "donation admission" to help out with a local charity. The NFL said no you cant do that, so the church then said that they will not charge anything, but they wanted to create a safe atmosphere where fans can all get together and watch a game withougt having to worry about people getting trashed, then creating a problem when driving home. I suppose the NFL is now promoting that drinking and driving is ok. At least it's ok for fans to watch the game in a bar and get all drunk and stupid, and possibly start fighting with a fan of a different team. That's ok. But a free viewing in a CHURCH of all places is wrong?? Ugh.. It's too bad I became a fan of the NFL before everything was all about the allmighty dollar!

And I hope the NFL doesn't have anyone around here checking. A guy here I work with is having a superbowl party at his house. He's charging $10 admission for his own personal profit. So far, there's about 125 people going. On top of that, he has a projector and a DJ stereo system that he is setting up outside in his backyard, and is broadcasting the game on the SIDE OF HIS HOUSE!! Something tells me that it will be over 55 inches.

personally I think the NFL is getting way too big for it britches. The ego it has is dwarfed only by the french. First they put games on the NFL channel and a lot of people don't get that so they were gipped out of 8 games this year (i think it's 8), they charge way toooooooo much money for the NFL direct ticket (FYI i cancelled mine) and the tickets (even though regulated through the teams) are insane to buy.

I think the NFL needs a reality check. Big time.

For this week only, I was chosen to fill out one of those Nielson TV viewing surveys and I might just put down that I watched somethings besides the Superbowl on Sunday just to stick it to the NFL in my own small way.

You know what? Unless they hand out more of those than normal your doing that could cost the NFL a measurable amount given that ad time is what, $2mil a minute?

Is there an economist on these boards that could figure that out? :D

Edited by Pope Flick

personally I think the NFL is getting way too big for it britches. The ego it has is dwarfed only by the french. First they put games on the NFL channel and a lot of people don't get that so they were gipped out of 8 games this year (i think it's 8), they charge way toooooooo much money for the NFL direct ticket (FYI i cancelled mine) and the tickets (even though regulated through the teams) are insane to buy.

Add the Hall of Fame game to that list now.

The are the producer of the only event on the planet where 100,000,000 Americans will be watching simultaneously.

God doesn't get those kinds of numbers, and when He does, He can start negotiating broadcast rights.

Don't tell them about my party since I'll be watching/showing it on my 65" Mitsubishi! :D:D

You can charge admission to whoever shows up just to stick it to The Man.

You are a latter-day Nathan Hale, my friend.

But that's the thing. The church was originally charging a "donation admission" to help out with a local charity. The NFL said no you cant do that, so the church then said that they will not charge anything, but they wanted to create a safe atmosphere where fans can all get together and watch a game withougt having to worry about people getting trashed, then creating a problem when driving home. I suppose the NFL is now promoting that drinking and driving is ok. At least it's ok for fans to watch the game in a bar and get all drunk and stupid, and possibly start fighting with a fan of a different team. That's ok. But a free viewing in a CHURCH of all places is wrong??

Nice straw man you've built.

And I hope the NFL doesn't have anyone around here checking. A guy here I work with is having a superbowl party at his house. He's charging $10 admission for his own personal profit. So far, there's about 125 people going. On top of that, he has a projector and a DJ stereo system that he is setting up outside in his backyard, and is broadcasting the game on the SIDE OF HIS HOUSE!! Something tells me that it will be over 55 inches.

The NFL reminds me of a guy in a movie who lived off the residuals from a Christmas song his dad wrote - he told some people that he gets paid every time someone plays the song, and they asked "even Christmas carolers have to pay?"; the guy goes "they're supposed to, but you can never catch the little buggers"

Really, I think the NFL is so freakin' uptight it make Trump look humble and Pope John Paul II look like a party animal, but this is merely about cash. Churchgoers probably aren't their target demographic, so they don't give a crap if they piss them off.

Nice straw man you've built.

The NFL reminds me of a guy in a movie who lived off the residuals from a Christmas song his dad wrote - he told some people that he gets paid every time someone plays the song, and they asked "even Christmas carolers have to pay?"; the guy goes "they're supposed to, but you can never catch the little buggers"

Really, I think the NFL is so freakin' uptight it make Trump look humble and Pope John Paul II look like a party animal, but this is merely about cash. Churchgoers probably aren't their target demographic, so they don't give a crap if they piss them off.

:D well said