[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Colts' win second most-watched Super Bowl ever

Shorttynaz

"NEW YORK -- Peyton Manning had a lot of witnesses to his soggy super win, with the estimated 93.2 million viewers representing the second most-watched Super Bowl broadcast ever."

I didnt think that there were going to be THIS many people watching the game.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs06/n...tory?id=2755160

In the northeast it was below zero temps, almost everyone stayed inside and pretty much had to watch the game. And I wonder how the ratings go with people at bars vs. people at home. If the bars are packed the ratings I would think would be less than if everyone was at their own tv?

Bears have a big fan base and with Indy's current fan base and the base left behind (Balt) I am not surprised at all by the big audience.

And geeze, Prince was playing :D

What was the most watched ever?

Only the 1996 Super Bowl between Dallas and Pittsburgh, which had 94.1 million viewers, had a bigger audience. Behind that 1996 game and the M-A-S-H series finale, Sunday's game was the third most-watched program in television history.

Edited by THE SIX KINGS

What was the most watched ever?

If I were to guess it would be the Seattle/Pitt superbowl.

From the article:

"Only the 1996 Super Bowl between Dallas and Pittsburgh, which had 94.1 million viewers, had a bigger audience, according to Nielsen Media Research on Monday."

If I were to guess it would be the Seattle/Pitt superbowl.

No, the same article states that there was approx. 1M more viewers for the '96 SB of the Cowboys/Steelers. I think that the MASH final episode was the highest viewed program. Dont know how many people watched it.

Given that there were at least a dozen angry, hypocritical Ravens fans here at The Huddle rooting against the Colts during the playoffs, I'd suspect that quite a few more spiteful people in Baltimore tuned in. :D

Actually Bill I was rooting FOR the Colts this past Sunday. Thanks to the "Colts will win the SB" Futures bet I made before they beat the Pats, I made a NICE little sum. :D

No anger here. Hard to be angry when you're countin' your winnings :bash:

Actually Bill I was rooting FOR the Colts this past Sunday. Thanks to the "Colts will win the SB" Futures bet I made before they beat the Pats, I made a NICE little sum. :D

No anger here. Hard to be angry when you're countin' your winnings :D

Well, it's nice to know that you won SOMETHING this year. :bash:

:clap:

Are there really THAT many more people and TVs in America than 10 years ago? I'm not sure about that.

Well, sure the population has increased in the last ten years.

It was the highest-rated Super Bowl game since St. Louis-Tennessee in 2000. The ratings were lower this year than in 2000, but, because there are more homes with television sets than seven years ago, there were more people watching. Last year's Super Bowl between Pittsburgh and Seattle drew 90.7 million viewers.

I'm curious as to the 'share' (which is the percentage of TV audience who watched the game on Sunday), right now the two largest "share" SuperBowls were XVIII and XX with over 70% of the TV audience for that slot, that's higher than XXX Dal/Pit at 68%.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_most-...vision_episodes