[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I Hurt My Shoulder

spain

I was in the gym on Monday working out my shoulders. I was using a barbell doing military presses with 175 pounds, which is my max for 3 reps. I worked up to it with a pyramid of increasing weights each set and decreasing reps. So, I do my 3 reps and have no problems. Take some weight off and do another set of higher reps. Nor problem at all. Finished my workout and everything was fine.

During the day, I start to notice that both of my shoulders are really sore. Especially my right shoulder. By that evening I knew that it was more than just being sore from a hard workout. Last night, everytime I rolled over on my right shoulder, I woke up in pain. Something is definitely wrong with my right shoulder. Standing still with my arm at my side, when I raise it out laterally, it is very very painful. Its actually painful anytime I move it. I have no idea what I did, but I didnt pop or pull anything. And there was no immediate trauma when I was at the weight pile. Any ideas here?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its more aching type pain. When I move my arm in the wrong direction, it lets me know its there.

I'm not sure as I never got mine diagonosed but whenever I worked my shoulders hard my left one hurt pretty bad afterwards to where I couldn't even do my cardio but it usually went away in a few hours. If I just did normal sets, not too arduous (sp?) then I was usually ok but heavy weight ruined it for a few hours.

It might be early stages of tendinitis? Let me know how it feels tomorrow, I'm guessing the pain starts to subside by tomorrow.

I'm sure you'll get a better answer by then from the Doc or the other lifters on the board.

Edited by chiefjay

Could have damaged the bursa in the shoulder joint which is rather painful because they no longer lubricate the socket. It is pretty common if you worked out your shoulders more than usual. If it is that, nothing you can do but let it heal I think.

I was in the gym on Monday working out my shoulders. I was using a barbell doing military presses with 175 pounds, which is my max for 3 reps. I worked up to it with a pyramid of increasing weights each set and decreasing reps. So, I do my 3 reps and have no problems. Take some weight off and do another set of higher reps. Nor problem at all. Finished my workout and everything was fine.

During the day, I start to notice that both of my shoulders are really sore. Especially my right shoulder. By that evening I knew that it was more than just being sore from a hard workout. Last night, everytime I rolled over on my right shoulder, I woke up in pain. Something is definitely wrong with my right shoulder. Standing still with my arm at my side, when I raise it out laterally, it is very very painful. Its actually painful anytime I move it. I have no idea what I did, but I didnt pop or pull anything. And there was no immediate trauma when I was at the weight pile. Any ideas here?

I injured mine a few years back doing a similar movement. I was using dumbells and bringing the weight too low. What I didnt know then (but do now) is if you come down past the point where your triceps are parallel with the floor, you CAN strain a muscle in your shoulder as it puts too much stress on it. I am not sure if this is what you did or not, but being that you didnt feel a pop, rip, or twinge at the time, I suspect maybe you just strained that muscle. I would bet if you ice it, take some ibuprofen, and give it some rest you'll be fine.

Sounds like you irritated your shoulder. I had really bad tendinitis in my shoulders during high school and college and would just pop some pain killers and give the shoulder some rest.

I think a more localized sharp pain would point to a tear or something more severe but then again I'm not a doctor.

Layoff the heavy weights and focus more on definition, you're too old for that crap.

Edited by twiley

Spain , appears you may have hurt your rotator cuff ...and with pitchers and catchers reporting in a week , that is not good

That was what I was referring to.

Too be honest, I am thinking about calling my Doc and seeing if he will give me a script of something because this shi@te is really starting to hurt. Thankfully, I have a doc like the one Elvis had and he will get me whateve I want. :D

Too be honest, I am thinking about calling my Doc and seeing if he will give me a script of something because this shi@te is really starting to hurt. Thankfully, I have a doc like the one Elvis had and he will get me whateve I want. :D

You should ice it (20 minutes on, 20 minutes off, whenever possible) and take 3 advil every 4 hours. See how it feels in a day or so. I'm not an athletic trainer, but I can change a tire faster than Puddy.

Edited by Hugh 0ne

I had a Subacromial Decompression and a tendon relocated a few years ago after experiencing symptoms like yours, but worse for 6 months. To this day, I have no idea what sparked the injury, but I was working the weights quite a bit and doing a lot of swimming. Hope you have better luck.

Step One: Medication, ice, rest

Step Two: Physical Therapy/ Cortizone Shots

Step Three: Surgery

Step Four: Learn to wipe with your left hand.

Spain , appears you may have hurt your rotator cuff ...and with pitchers and catchers reporting in a week , that is not good

After having surgery last year for it that wouldn't be good news at all. Cortizone shots didn't work at all as mine was torn. Hopefully yours is only strained.