[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Anybody read 1776 ?

idahov

I just finished this book, and was very impressed. Well written and difficult to put down. One of the interesting aspects, was that both sides of the story were told, giving a perspective I hadn't seen before. Lady luck was on our side many times early on in the conflict.

If you haven't read it, I highly recommend it. :D

I just finished this book, and was very impressed. Well written and difficult to put down. One of the interesting aspects, was that both sides of the story were told, giving a perspective I hadn't seen before. Lady luck was on our side many times early on in the conflict.

yes it was and i will check it out... sounds good

I read it and thought it was well written. Took me longer than most of my usual reads though as there was alot of info to process and get straight.

But I loved the historical context of it. I would like to get into more of this genre. Anyone have any reccomendations for either the Civil War or WW I/II era?

Edited by nhoops

I read and enjoyed Ghost Soldiers recently, written by Hampton Sides.

A true account of a rescue mission of POWs from the Japs in the Phillipines near the end of WW2. Including some of the time the POWs spent in the camp in the 3 years leading up to their rescue.

I read and enjoyed Ghost Soldiers recently, written by Hampton Sides.

A true account of a rescue mission of POWs from the Japs in the Phillipines near the end of WW2. Including some of the time the POWs spent in the camp in the 3 years leading up to their rescue.

This is a great book. There was a History Channel show detailing the Battan death march / camp on recently that seemed to follow the book very well.

1776 was good as well.

I'm reading Undaunted Courage right now and its very interesting but a slow read. Ambrose take his sweet time.

WWII

In Harm's Way by Doug Stanton- Story of the sinking of the USS Indianapolis. This book will freak you out.

Stalingrad by Anthony Beevor- This battle was so brutal that you can't put the book down.

Vietnam

The 13th Valley by John Del Vecchio- It's fiction, but it's one of my favorite books. I re-read it every few years.

This is a great book. There was a History Channel show detailing the Battan death march / camp on recently that seemed to follow the book very well.

1776 was good as well.

I'm reading Undaunted Courage right now and its very interesting but a slow read. Ambrose take his sweet time.

Undaunted Courage is a bit slow to start, but picks up steam once the expedition gets underway. Speaking of Hampton Sides, Blood and Thunder is also really good (American expansionism 1830s - 1870s).

I read it and thought it was well written. Took me longer than most of my usual reads though as there was alot of info to process and get straight.

But I loved the historical context of it. I would like to get into more of this genre. Anyone have any reccomendations for either the Civil War or WW I/II era?

Read the Sharra books (Michael is the dad and Jeff is the son):

The Killer Angels was a great Civil War novel.

They have others on WWI and the Revollutionary War.

1776 was great. I had kind of forgotten from my US history education what a badass Washington was; 1776 has some great stories.

Team of Rivals, about the formation of Lincoln's cabinet, is also a great read.

Edited by Bonehand

WWII

In Harm's Way by Doug Stanton- Story of the sinking of the USS Indianapolis. This book will freak you out.

I agree with this.

I also strongly recommend The Last Escape: The Untold Story of Allied Prisoners of War in Europe 1944-45. (Also, don't let the 4 out of 5 stars fool you, the book deserves at least 4.5 stars--it is only at 4 stars because some reviewer named "Barbara Dey" is an absolute moran.)