[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Tree Question

Savage Beatings

My wife and I are going to be doing some major landscaping in the next two years... we are wondering if such a tree exists as a miniature weeping willow. I've done some online searches but haven't come up with anything. Basically we really like the weeping willow, but we're concerned that it might end up getting just too big for the space that we are considering.

Any ideas? :D

My wife and I are going to be doing some major landscaping in the next two years... we are wondering if such a tree exists as a miniature weeping willow. I've done some online searches but haven't come up with anything. Basically we really like the weeping willow, but we're concerned that it might end up getting just too big for the space that we are considering.

yes there are some but most are about 15-20 not the standard 40 so its not that much smaller.. they are dirty trees( alot of leafs/ branches etc) and need a lot of water... maybe look at a weeping crab or weeping cherry .

I cut one down in my front yard that is most likely perfect for what you are thinking of, I'll see if I can get the name of it and holler back.

I believe it's weeping willows that love water so much they will wrap themselves around yer water pipe and crush it over time. Be careful putting it around those pipes.

I'll be planting 5 or 6 Japanese Maples this year. They are nice trees IMO. I started cleaning out some of the woods on Saturday. Got some nice poison ivy popping up today (3rd time in 6 months with this vile stuff).

Weeping Willows don't necessarily have to be right on the water, they just do very well in that location compared to other trees. Anyway, I've never heard of a miniature version.

As mentioned above, a Weeping Cherry sounds like a good option for a tree with the "weeping" look. They get around 12-15 feet tall. Its a very nice, decorative tree. Your local nurseries should have stock to see this spring.

Be sure it is appropriate for your Hardiness Zone

Edited by The Irish Doggy

I just got off the phone with my dad (he's a horticulturist). He said that there isn't any such thing as a dwarf weeping willow, but that you could "train" a regular weeping willow to be small by keeping it pruned.

Thanks! That's what I needed. :D

I just got off the phone with my dad (he's a horticulturist). He said that there isn't any such thing as a dwarf weeping willow, but that you could "train" a regular weeping willow to be small by keeping it pruned.

i was thinking that, it's certainly easy enough to do with most trees. but i thought it might be really tricky to keep the weeping habit while trying to train it to the smaller size.