[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Houston Texans Looking At Trading for Schaub

Beaumont

that is overkill for a QB good enough to lose close.

I wouldnt give up a 07 2nd for him straight up.

Now imagine if Quinn falls to #8, and Atlanta takes him. Not only do they upgrade their backup now, and get their future QB over Vick, but they get 2 2nd rounders in the process. Scaub may be worse than Scott Mitchell.

Houston we have a problem. Its your scouting and front office. :D

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

no kidding. i have to say i am almost stunned. what a coup for the falcons.

8th for the 10th is about a wash; 2 second rounders for Schaub is a bit rich but not excessively so.

:D

I remember some of the exact same sentiment being offered on Drew Brees during his 3rd year and my response being wait & see with him - he was prolific in college and showed he understood the game well and just needed time to mature with some experience. Most people thought Brees sucked big time until the onset of his 4th year.

I'll offer the exact same advice on Schaub. The guy was a prolific thrower in college who has been forced to sit behind a "QB" who is allegedly developing as Schaub is trying to develop. The guy is about to embark on the 4th year of his NFL learning curve.

Watch what Kubiak does with Schaub now that Schaub figures to be the go-to guy. A few of you folks might just be eating your words - just like you might with the M Williams/Bush drafting scenario.

Edited by Bronco Billy

I remember some of the exact same sentiment being offered on Drew Brees during his 3rd year and my response being wait & see with him - he was prolific in college and showed he understood the game well and just needed time to mature with some experience. Most people thought Brees sucked big time until the onset of his 4th year.

I'll offer the exact same advice on Schaub. The guy was a prolific thrower in college who has been forced to sit behind a "QB" who is allegedly developing as Schaub is trying to develop.

Watch what Kubiak does with Schaub now that Schaub figures to be the go-to guy. A few of you folks might just be eating your words - just like you might with the M Williams/Bush drafting scenario.

+1

That move up from 10 to 8 could be huge if they do indeed want Quinn. If Quinn does fall, Miami at 9 may be forced to trade up if that is who they are targeting. I thought I read somewhere that the Falcons were enamored with someone though. Was it Landry? Can't recall.

I'll offer the exact same advice on Schaub. The guy was a prolific thrower in college who has been forced to sit behind a "QB" who is allegedly developing as Schaub is trying to develop. The guy is about to embark on the 4th year of his NFL learning curve.

The operative word here is Might be eating our words. Houston is not going the wait and see route. They're paying for it now and hope that he's a great QB. He COULD BE a great QB. Could be. Will he be?

He COULD BE a great QB. Could be. Will he be?

6 years in, Atlanta is still trying to figure that out with Vick. :D

I guess mileage varies on that issues. :D

Umm, NO. I said Houston made a mistake on passing on Vince, and I cant see that not being the case. Carr was suppose to be great in the Kubiak system as well, and lets just say that didnt work out. Carr was more prolific in college than Shaub was.

I think whoever steals Carr along with ATl are the big winners here. Houston continues to affectionate up every step of the way. Pass on Vince, throw away Carr, and give 2 high 2s for Schaub.

Umm, NO. I said Houston made a mistake on passing on Vince, and I cant see that not being the case. Carr was suppose to be great in the Kubiak system as well, and lets just say that didnt work out. Carr was more prolific in college than Shaub was.

I think whoever steals Carr along with ATl are the big winners here. Houston continues to affectionate up every step of the way. Pass on Vince, throw away Carr, and give 2 high 2s for Schaub.

Don't forget moving further back in the first round and pretty much guaranteeing they won't touch Adrian Peterson either (even though that was probably a longshot anyways).

:tup:

dumb comparison. drew brees was a regarded as a late first round, early second round QB prospect. schaub was, what, a 3rd or 4th rounder? but here is the REAL difference....going into his 4th season, drew brees had started something like 25-30 NFL games. schaub has started, what, like 4?

so let's see, a guy who has a weak arm and no mobility...but he's tall and fairly accurate, so he gets a draft grade equivalent to like a brian griese. 3 years in the league, he gets into a few games, completing 52% of his passes, throwing for 6 TDs and 6 INTs. :D

by golly, i think that fella is worth a high second rounder, a future second rounder, and 2 spots in the first round (100 points on the pick value chart, or the equivalent of a very high 4th rounder). :D

The operative word here is Might be eating our words. Houston is not going the wait and see route. They're paying for it now and hope that he's a great QB. He COULD BE a great QB. Could be. Will he be?

No one knows - though he is held in pretty high esteem in the NFL right now, obviously. HOU wasn't the only team trying to obtain his services.

I do know this - yards gained per pass attempt is a quick & dirty way of measuring a QB's effectiveness. Schaub's ypa over the past 2 years is 7.7 ypa, which is outstanding, after a miserable 4.7 his rookie year. Now, that's in very limited duty - which I fully understand. It is an indicator that he may be able to compete as a very competent starter at the NFL level, though.

QBs in NFL history with a minimum of 750 pass attempts and a career ypa of 7.3 ypa or better:

| Name Y/A

| Graham,Otto 8.6

| Luckman,Sid 8.4

| Roethlisberger,Ben 8.3

| VanBrocklin,Norm 8.2

| Warner,Kurt 8.2

| Young,Steve 8

| Brown,Ed 7.9

| Unitas,Johnny 7.8

| Starr,Bart 7.8

| Berry,Bob 7.8

| Lujack,Johnny 7.8

| Fouts,Dan 7.7

| Manning,Peyton 7.7

| Dawson,Len 7.7

| Staubach,Roger 7.7

| Culpepper,Daunte 7.7

| Morrall,Earl 7.7

| Bulger,Marc 7.7

| Jurgensen,Sonny 7.6

| Green,Trent 7.6

| Montana,Joe 7.5

| Grogan,Steve 7.5

| Dickey,Lynn 7.5

| Meredith,Don 7.5

| Ryan,Frank 7.5

| LeBaron,Eddie 7.5

| Kelly,Jim 7.4

| Tittle,Y.A. 7.4

| Stabler,Ken 7.4

| Morton,Craig 7.4

| Namath,Joe 7.4

| White,Danny 7.4

| Lamonica,Daryle 7.4

| Nelsen,Bill 7.4

| Palmer,Carson 7.4

| Lee,Jacky 7.4

| Marino,Dan 7.3

| Tarkenton,Fran 7.3

| Esiason,Boomer 7.3

| Anderson,Ken 7.3

| Griese,Bob 7.3

| Baugh,Sammy 7.3

| Wade,Bill 7.3

| Waterfield,Bob 7.3

| Shaw,George 7.3

Just something to chew on...

Schaub hasnth thrown 750 passes, so lets revist that then.

I agree. My whole point with the posts above is that some people might be leaping to conclusions that not only can't be supported but just might be dramatically wrong - and pointed out that it has happened in the recent past with another young QB.

He could be a turd - but only time will tell. But to leap to that conclusion definitively right now given what he has shown us in his very little field time seems downright foolhardy, IMO.

Edited by Bronco Billy

I agree. My whole point with the posts above is that some people might be leaping to conclusions that not only can't be supported but just might be dramatically wrong - and pointed out that it has happened in the recent past with another young QB.

He could be a turd - but only time will tell. But to leap to that conclusion definitively right now given what he has shown us in his very little field time seems downright foolhardy, IMO.

The problem is Schaub isnt worth this much. Maybe a move up 2 spots in the 1st this yr and a 2nd next yr. Maybe. But to give up the 39th pick, I wouldnt do that for him. Hell I rate the BYU QB miles ahead of Schaub. And he will be sitting there in round 2 for Houston.

The problem is Schaub isnt worth this much. Maybe a move up 2 spots in the 1st this yr and a 2nd next yr. Maybe. But to give up the 39th pick, I wouldnt do that for him. Hell I rate the BYU QB miles ahead of Schaub. And he will be sitting there in round 2 for Houston.

That may be true, but I'd take Schaub's college credentials over Beck's any day. What Schaub did in college in a much better conference puts him in a plane with Rivers and light years ahead of Beck, if that's your standard of comparison.

If HOU gets a legit starting top 10 QB in the first 4 years of his career, the trade goes over hughly in HOU's favor. That's something teams give top 5 picks in the draft for taking a chance on.

Time will tell...

Edited by Bronco Billy

3rd round by ATL

The same round Montana, Fouts, & Tarkenton were all drafted in...

:tup: and...Rick McIvor, Bubby Brister, Robby Bosco, Cody Carlson, Erik Wilhelm, Tommy Hodson, Peter Tom Willis, Billy Joe Hobert, Eric Zeier, Bobby Hoying, Brian Griese, Brock Huard, Giovanni Carmazzi, Chris Redman, Josh McCown, Dave Ragone, Matt Ware, David Greene and Andrew Walter. :D

but hey, I'm sure Montana, Fouts and Tarkenton are more indicative of what we can expect from Schaub. :D

:tup: and...Rick McIvor, Bubby Brister, Robby Bosco, Cody Carlson, Erik Wilhelm, Tommy Hodson, Peter Tom Willis, Billy Joe Hobert, Eric Zeier, Bobby Hoying, Brian Griese, Brock Huard, Giovanni Carmazzi, Chris Redman, Josh McCown, Dave Ragone, Matt Ware, David Greene and Andrew Walter. :D

but hey, I'm sure Montana, Fouts and Tarkenton are more indicative of what we can expect from Schaub. :D

Yep - he could end up being a bum. But there is a precendent that he may not, isn't there? Something you seem dimissively loath to admit.

Maybe they should have spent their #1 on a QB instead - then maybe in 5 years they could be bragging about the next Heath Shuler, Ryan Leaf, Joey Harrington, Kyle Boller, Tim Couch, Akili Smith, or Rick Mirer that they drafted...

BTW - I wouldn't give up on Walter just yet, my friend.

Edited by Bronco Billy

I think David Carr can play. He has had no protection, and lil opportunity to prove it thus far, unless you count throws off his back foot, or on his way down from being sacked. . What makes anyone think Schaub is more elusive than Carr. Let alone Schaub has a weaker arm. Sorry, I think Carr will be better wherever he goes, than Schaub will in Houston, and Houston wont get anywhere close to this value for Carr.

Edited by Sgt. Ryan