[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Houston Texans Looking At Trading for Schaub

Beaumont

Don't forget moving further back in the first round and pretty much guaranteeing they won't touch Adrian Peterson either (even though that was probably a longshot anyways).

Unless they swap that 10th pick and Carr for the Vikes #7 and a 4th rounder or something along those lines... :D

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think David Carr can play. He has had no protection, and lil opportunity to prove it thus far, unless you count throws off his back foot, or on his way down from being sacked. . What makes anyone think Schaub is more elusive than Carr. Let alone Schaub has a weaker arm. Sorry, I think Carr will be better wherever he goes, than Schaub will in Houston, and Houston wont get anywhere close to this value for Carr.

I agree that Carr could still be a very good passer. But I disagree that Schaub is the statue in the pocket that Carr is. The thing that worries me most about Carr is that he may be permanently gunshy after his years in HOU getting beaten down as badly as he did. The guy has gigantic sized cajones, that's for sure.

that is overkill for a QB good enough to lose close.

I wouldnt give up a 07 2nd for him straight up.

Why not? Schaub has demonstrated that he can play when given the chance. What percentage of second-round picks turn into viable starting NFL QBs? And how long does it take them to adjust to the pro level?

Looks like Petrino thinks more of Vick than many on this forum.

Michael Vick is irrelevant in the discussion. They got a bump of 2 spots in the first round, a second round pick, and a second round pick next year. That's two potential starters for what amounts to a backup QB in his final year under contract. Atlanta would be foolish not have made this trade. Petrino probably wasn't even consulted.

Michael Vick is irrelevant in the discussion. They got a bump of 2 spots in the first round, a second round pick, and a second round pick next year. That's two potential starters for what amounts to a backup QB in his final year under contract. Atlanta would be foolish not have made this trade. Petrino probably wasn't even consulted.

With all due respect, I would question ATL's ability to properly evaluate & place value on a QB...

As a Texan fan and a Carr supporter, I am pretty happy about this. It might have been a little more than I personally would have given up if I were the Texans GM, but I think Schaub will turn out to be a good QB for a long time. I dont think the Falcons got a steal by making this trade. Schaub was twice the QB that Vick was, even in his limited appearances. I would have loved to seen Carr come back, but I think the Texans front office, a lot of current players and most Texan fans were ready to start fresh, whether that be with Schaub, another FA QB, Rosenfels, or one of the rookies. Do I think Carr will excel if he goes somewhere else? I sure do. Do I think he could have come back to the Texans after all that has happened this offseason? No, probably not.

FWIW, I am not 100% that the Texans are out of the Peterson sweepstakes now, either. While not very likely, it is still quite possible for him to fall to 10, unless another team moves up to get him.

Schaub was twice the QB that Vick was, even in his limited appearances.

yeah, you're gonna have to explain that one to me. schaub has a career completion percentage of 52% (to vick's 53.8%), and a TD/INT ratio of 1.0 (to vick's 1.4). so how exactly has he been twice the QB vick has again? :D

its been five years for Carr there. time for a change in Houston. it wasn't getting any better and it wasn't going to this year. you can place the blame on the team and/or the player...but it just wasn't working.

i applaud this move by the Texans.

Yep - he could end up being a bum. But there is a precendent that he may not, isn't there? Something you seem dimissively loath to admit.

Billy, you're reaching on this one. Not that Schaub won't be better than Carr, or at least a competent NFL QB once he has a starting job, but selectively taking 3 HOF QBs taken in the 3rd Round as comparison? Fouts and Tarkenton both started their rookie years. Montana was starting by year 2.

I think this is a good trade for Houston. From what I have seen of Schaub, I liked eerything you can't measure. Is he fast? No. But I was impressed with his pocket awareness. Tom Brady isn't fast, but he moves well in the pocket. Drew Bledsoe isn't fast, but has 0 pocket awareness and moves into the rush instead of away from it more times than not.

The last game he started, I believe, was against the Pats week 5 in '05. He went 18 of 34 with 298 yards, 3 tds and 0 ints. In the first four weeks of that same season, with the exact same WRs on his team, Vick had a single game high of 167 yards, just for comparison sake. i think Schaub can play in the NFl, and play well.

As for Carr, I think it was time to try something new in Houston. When one guy takes a continued pounding the way he did to start his career, he gets gun shy and starts looking for the rush, even before it gets to him. I think thatb started to be a problem for Carr. A fresh start in a new city will be good for him. I think he also will be productive in the NFL, assuming he finds himself in a better situation. (Are there any WORSE for a QB than HOU :D ?)

Jay Glazer of FOXSports.com reports that the trade that sent quarterback Matt Schaub from the Falcons to the Texans involves not one but two second-round picks, plus a swap of first-round picks in 2007.

The Falcons held the No. 10 pick in round one, and the Texans held the No. 8 pick.

In all, it's a good haul for the Falcons. No one was going to give them a one and a three for Schaub. But to get two twos and a two-spot upgrade in the top ten is huge -- especially since it puts them in striking distance to make a deal that would put them in position to draft someone like Adrian Peterson or the one guy who could make the locals forget about Mike Vick: Calvin Johnson.

its been five years for Carr there. time for a change in Houston. it wasn't getting any better and it wasn't going to this year. you can place the blame on the team and/or the player...but it just wasn't working.

i applaud this move by the Texans.

i have to agree. while they may have given up more than they should have, and it is a bit of a gamble, i still think it's a probably a good move.

Billy, you're reaching on this one. Not that Schaub won't be better than Carr, or at least a competent NFL QB once he has a starting job, but selectively taking 3 HOF QBs taken in the 3rd Round as comparison? Fouts and Tarkenton both started their rookie years. Montana was starting by year 2.

Agreed - but I wasn't the one who proclaimed that a 3rd round QB couldn't possibly live up to what Brees had accomplished.

To be perfectly honest, I don't quite understand what the round a QB was drafted in makes in evaluating his ability once he's in the pros. There are some 1st rounders who are studs, some who are medicore, and some who are complete bums. Same thing with 2nd rounders, 3rd rounders, etc. Why Brees' selection in the 2nd round would automatically make him better than Schaub as a 3rd round pick made very little to no sense to me.

I simply put forth that being a 3rd round pick at QB doesn't automatically disqualify one from success in the NFL, and I backed it up with examples.

Agreed - but I wasn't the one who proclaimed that a 3rd round QB couldn't possibly live up to what Brees had accomplished.

good god you're an idiot. of course, i didn't say anything like that. i said that the comparison of schaub with brees was a bad one, and i did offer as one reason the fact that brees was a much more highly regarded QB prospect from the start. but of course, as i made clear, the MAIN reason i noted it was a stupid comparison is that brees had already started 25-30 games as an NFL QB after 3 years, to schaub's 3 or 4. yet somehow in your idiotic replies, you have failed to address THIS argument at all....preferring instead to completely distort one part of my statement, while completely ignoring the main part, and then to focus on the fact that fran tarkenton was drafted in the third round in 1961. :D:D:doh:

edit:

But at least I won't take someone's post completely out of context to make an utterly stupid statement.

:D oh you won't, huh? :tup:

Edited by Azazello1313

good god you're an idiot. of course, i didn't say anything like that.

:D oh you won't, huh? :D

So you didn't say this?

dumb comparison. drew brees was a regarded as a late first round, early second round QB prospect. schaub was, what, a 3rd or 4th rounder?

And I clearly addressed Schaub's lack of a track record - more than once.

People who live in glass houses shouldn't be throwing stones...

Moran.

Umm, NO. I said Houston made a mistake on passing on Vince, and I cant see that not being the case. Carr was suppose to be great in the Kubiak system as well, and lets just say that didnt work out. Carr was more prolific in college than Shaub was.

I think whoever steals Carr along with ATl are the big winners here. Houston continues to affectionate up every step of the way. Pass on Vince, throw away Carr, and give 2 high 2s for Schaub.

The word filter is...priceless. :D

And for my :D if Houston doesn't do something to shore up the O-line then it wouldn't matter if you had Jesus himself back there. (But I would become an instant Houston fan if He was). :tup:

The word filter is...priceless. :D

And for my :D if Houston doesn't do something to shore up the O-line then it wouldn't matter if you had Jesus himself back there. (But I would become an instant Houston fan if He was). :tup:

Touchdown Jesus Christ!!!!

yeah, you're gonna have to explain that one to me. schaub has a career completion percentage of 52% (to vick's 53.8%), and a TD/INT ratio of 1.0 (to vick's 1.4). so how exactly has he been twice the QB vick has again? :D

Vick is a better athlete, but the games I have seen Schaub play, he is more of an overall package, ie passing and all.

Okay.... now what are the chances of Schuab actually being the starting QB?

Somehow today my Dynasty League QB and his back-up morphed into two QB's. I now have one that can't throw the ball downfield if his life depended on it... and one that will have to run as if his life depended on it.

Is there anything out there that says Carr is gone for sure? Or is Schuab insurance?