[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Stacked with rookie picks

Tford

I have the 1.01, 1.02 and 1.03 picks in my dynasty draft giving me the any 3 players I want from this draft. Given this team, who would you pick?

Culpepper

Alex D Smith

Roethlisberger

Deangelo Williams

LT

Lamont Jordan

Chambers

Edwards

Randy Moss

Stallworth

Sinorice Moss

Mike Williams

Passing TDs are 6, INTs are -1, the rest is pretty standard scoring. My defense is pretty solid so I probably won't need to devote alot of attention to it until much later in the draft. (I have 2 second round picks also)

Lineups are as follows:

1) Offensive Players - Each team will have the option of playing the following offensive players. (PN – Punter)

A)QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, WR, TE, K, KR, PN, OC

B)QB, RB, WR, WR, WR, WR, TE, K, KR, PN, OC

C)QB, RB, WR, WR, WR, WR, WR, K, KR, PN, OC

D)QB, WR, WR, WR, WR, WR, TE, K, KR, PN, OC

E)QB, WR, WR, WR, WR, TE, TE, K, KR, PN, OC

With OC being an open slot (any position even QB)

Do you pick AP, Lynch and Russell? or AP, Lynch and CJ2? What would you do?

If I were you, I'd keep 1.01 & 1.02 for AD & CJ, and trade off 1.03 for a stud QB - but don't tell your trading partner who you plan on picking. You can offer up either of A Smith or Roethlisberger to backup whomever you get at QB - I'd aim high, Palmer or Brees (unless the P Manning owner is certifiable), and your team is pretty well set for the next few years.

If not, offer up the 1.03 to someone who is overloaded with young stud WRs - don't take anything but a top WR, preferrably on the young side. S Smith, Fitzgerald, Boldin, R Williams, Wayne all would work in the trade. When you trade, you can promise them that you plan on taking CJ with one of the top 2 picks so they know they'll be getting one of the top 2 RBs.

Third option - trade the 1.03 down a couple of spots to 1.06 at the worst. Right now, Meachem, Bowe, and Jarrett are all pretty interchangable - try to get an extra draft pick out of the deal, say a 2nd rounder. Let them know you plan on taking CJ with one of the picks, and so they'll be getting Lynch.

You're in great shape then at RB, you'll have two studly young WRs to add to your WR corps, or you'll have upgraded at QB seriously with the best WR prospect to have come out in a while.

If you plan on taking 2 young RBs - AD & Lynch - with two of the top 3 picks, you're going to have very good RBs sitting on your bench while your other positions suffer. Upgrading your QB and/or WRs make your team a pretty solid one to compete with immediately.

If I were you, I'd keep 1.01 & 1.02 for AD & CJ, and trade off 1.03 for a stud QB - but don't tell your trading partner who you plan on picking. You can offer up either of A Smith or Roethlisberger to backup whomever you get at QB - I'd aim high, Palmer or Brees (unless the P Manning owner is certifiable), and your team is pretty well set for the next few years.

If not, offer up the 1.03 to someone who is overloaded with young stud WRs - don't take anything but a top WR, preferrably on the young side. S Smith, Fitzgerald, Boldin, R Williams, Wayne all would work in the trade. When you trade, you can promise them that you plan on taking CJ with one of the top 2 picks so they know they'll be getting one of the top 2 RBs.

Third option - trade the 1.03 down a couple of spots to 1.06 at the worst. Right now, Meachem, Bowe, and Jarrett are all pretty interchangable - try to get an extra draft pick out of the deal, say a 2nd rounder. Let them know you plan on taking CJ with one of the picks, and so they'll be getting Lynch.

You're in great shape then at RB, you'll have two studly young WRs to add to your WR corps, or you'll have upgraded at QB seriously with the best WR prospect to have come out in a while.

If you plan on taking 2 young RBs - AD & Lynch - with two of the top 3 picks, you're going to have very good RBs sitting on your bench while your other positions suffer. Upgrading your QB and/or WRs make your team a pretty solid one to compete with immediately.

This pretty much sums it up.

Yep agree with the general consensus... Peterson, Johnson and an upgrade at QB. If you really like either Russel or Quinn, you could go that way depending upon where they land, and that would be my backup plan if I couldn't work a deal for an established top 8 or so QB. Brady would be a nice aquisition there in a trade for example.

Do NOT trade the opportunity to draft a stud rookie RB for a QB, unless you could get Manning or Palmer. You got the rookie's stockpiled here, which puts you in GREAT shape for the future. Don't blow that for a QB.

Figured I'd add more fuel to the fire here. Thanks for the responses so far.

14 of the top 30 scorers from last year were QBs (25th being Roethlisberger). Alex Smith was 55th overall.

Here's the breakdown of my offensive players.

LT 1st Overall

Roethlisberger 25th Overall

Alex Smith 55th Overall

Braylon Edwards 248th Overall

Stallworth 361st Overall

Shockey 366th Overall

Chambers 404th Overall

D. Williams 444th Overall

Lamont Jordan 611th Overall

I'll be the first guy to say that I rely solely on quarterbacking, LT and my defense.

This league is a salary cap league ($260 cap) and for as much as I rely on my defense/ST, I only have $57.50 tied up in cap room on my defense.

Here are the rest of my significant signings.

LT $42 1 year remaining (able to franchise tagged for $42 for next year if I wish)

Culpepper $12.50 (able to be cut free of charge if he doesn't play)

DeAngelo Williams $13 for 5 years

Stallworth $10.50 (cannot cut free of charge)

Mike Williams $4 for 3 years

Braylon Edwards $3 for 4 years

Roethlisberger $5 for 3 years

Alex Smith $5 for 4 years

Lamont Jordan $7 for 2 years (able to cut free of charge)

I have about $95 in cap space left before the draft and if I keep all of my picks in the first and second round I will be devoting at least $60 to sign my rookies.

The teams that have Brees, Palmer, McNabb, Manning, Bulger and Vick are all very hesitant to make a deal and been dragging their heels about negotiating. So far any deal that has been offered to me has been a clear no. Also, the best QBs available on the wire are Harrington and Warner, so that tells you something.

Also, I should remind you that I can only start 3 RBs at the expense of my 2nd QB. And since rarely will a number 3 RB outscore a number 2 QB, this rarely happens.

I have a good idea what I want to do, but I'm curious to hear other opinions. TIA

I made a couple moves that I think will make this decision a no-brainer.

1) I cut Randy Moss; he was signed at $44 per year (more than LT)

2) Dealt away Shockey ($2) and Alex Smith ($5) and 2.10 of this year's rookie draft for Vince Young ($13.50 for 6 years) and Tony Gonzalez ($14 at 1 year). I'll be the first say that this was a blatent cap move and that Gonzalez is way overpaid but I was able to absorb the hit fairly easy and Young over Smith is a hugh upgrade.

3) Traded LaMont Jordan ($7) for Gary Brackett ($0.30); Easy move for me as Brackett outscored Jordan by about 100 points last year and it's $6.7 in cap relief. Jordan likely would have never left my bench and likely would've been cut.

The result is this roster;

Player YTD Pts Bye Salary Contract

Culpepper, Daunte MIA QB - 8 $12.50

Roethlisberger, Ben PIT QB - 4 $5.00 3

Young, Vince TEN QB - 7 $13.50 6

Tomlinson, Ladainian SDC RB - 3 $42.00 1

Williams, DeAngelo CAR RB - 9 $13.00 5

Chambers, Chris MIA WR - 8 $0.30 1

Edwards, Braylon CLE WR - 6 $3.00 4

Moss, Sinorice NYG WR - 4 $1.50 4

Stallworth, Donte' NEP WR - 6 $10.50

Williams, Mike DET WR - 8 $4.00 3

Gonzalez, Tony KCC TE - 3 $14.00

Lewis, Marcedes JAC TE - 6 $3.50 3

Scheffler, Tony DEN TE - 4 $0.30 3

Scobee, Josh JAC PK - 6 $0.30 1

Maynard, Brad CHI PN - 7 $0.30

Plackemeier, Ryan SEA PN - 5 $2.25

Abraham, John ATL DE - 5 $10.25

Peppers, Julius CAR DE - 9 $3.00 1

Rice, Simeon TBB DE - 4 $6.00

Spicer, Paul JAC DE - 6 $0.30

Suggs, Terrell BAL DE - 7 $3.00 1

Udeze, Kenechi MIN DE - 6 $2.00 2

Vanden Bosch, Kyle TEN DE - 7 $9.25

Brackett, Gary IND LB - 6 $0.30 1

Carpenter, Bobby DAL LB - 3 $0.30 3

Dansby, Karlos ARI LB - 9 $1.00 2

Davis, Thomas CAR LB - 9 $2.00 3

Draft, Chris STL LB - 7 $0.30 1

Harris, Napoleon KCC LB - 3 $0.30 1

Harrison, James PIT LB - 4 $1.75

Johnson, Derrick O. KCC LB - 3 $3.00 4

Leber, Ben MIN LB - 6 $0.30 2

Thurman, Odell CIN LB - 5 $1.00 3

Ware, Demarcus DAL LB - 3 $3.00 4

Williams, DJ DEN LB - 4 $1.00 4

McGee, Terrence BUF CB - 8 $4.25

Allen, Jason MIA S - 8 $0.30 2

Archuleta, Adam WAS S - 8 $3.75

Demps, Will NYG S - 4 $0.30 1

Hope, Chris TEN S - 7 $0.30 1

Simpson, Ko BUF S - 8 $0.30 2

Taylor, Sean WAS S - 8 $3.00 2

And I have these draft picks; 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 2.6, 3.1.

Turns out the Palmer, Brees and Manning owners were not interested in dealing at all. However, I did manage to get Young without forfeiting a 1st round pick.

I made a couple moves that I think will make this decision a no-brainer.

1) I cut Randy Moss; he was signed at $44 per year (more than LT)

2) Dealt away Shockey ($2) and Alex Smith ($5) and 2.10 of this year's rookie draft for Vince Young ($13.50 for 6 years) and Tony Gonzalez ($14 at 1 year). I'll be the first say that this was a blatent cap move and that Gonzalez is way overpaid but I was able to absorb the hit fairly easy and Young over Smith is a hugh upgrade.

3) Traded LaMont Jordan ($7) for Gary Brackett ($0.30); Easy move for me as Brackett outscored Jordan by about 100 points last year and it's $6.7 in cap relief. Jordan likely would have never left my bench and likely would've been cut.

The result is this roster;

Player YTD Pts Bye Salary Contract

Culpepper, Daunte MIA QB - 8 $12.50

Roethlisberger, Ben PIT QB - 4 $5.00 3

Young, Vince TEN QB - 7 $13.50 6

Tomlinson, Ladainian SDC RB - 3 $42.00 1

Williams, DeAngelo CAR RB - 9 $13.00 5

Chambers, Chris MIA WR - 8 $0.30 1

Edwards, Braylon CLE WR - 6 $3.00 4

Moss, Sinorice NYG WR - 4 $1.50 4

Stallworth, Donte' NEP WR - 6 $10.50

Williams, Mike DET WR - 8 $4.00 3

Gonzalez, Tony KCC TE - 3 $14.00

Lewis, Marcedes JAC TE - 6 $3.50 3

Scheffler, Tony DEN TE - 4 $0.30 3

Scobee, Josh JAC PK - 6 $0.30 1

Maynard, Brad CHI PN - 7 $0.30

Plackemeier, Ryan SEA PN - 5 $2.25

Abraham, John ATL DE - 5 $10.25

Peppers, Julius CAR DE - 9 $3.00 1

Rice, Simeon TBB DE - 4 $6.00

Spicer, Paul JAC DE - 6 $0.30

Suggs, Terrell BAL DE - 7 $3.00 1

Udeze, Kenechi MIN DE - 6 $2.00 2

Vanden Bosch, Kyle TEN DE - 7 $9.25

Brackett, Gary IND LB - 6 $0.30 1

Carpenter, Bobby DAL LB - 3 $0.30 3

Dansby, Karlos ARI LB - 9 $1.00 2

Davis, Thomas CAR LB - 9 $2.00 3

Draft, Chris STL LB - 7 $0.30 1

Harris, Napoleon KCC LB - 3 $0.30 1

Harrison, James PIT LB - 4 $1.75

Johnson, Derrick O. KCC LB - 3 $3.00 4

Leber, Ben MIN LB - 6 $0.30 2

Thurman, Odell CIN LB - 5 $1.00 3

Ware, Demarcus DAL LB - 3 $3.00 4

Williams, DJ DEN LB - 4 $1.00 4

McGee, Terrence BUF CB - 8 $4.25

Allen, Jason MIA S - 8 $0.30 2

Archuleta, Adam WAS S - 8 $3.75

Demps, Will NYG S - 4 $0.30 1

Hope, Chris TEN S - 7 $0.30 1

Simpson, Ko BUF S - 8 $0.30 2

Taylor, Sean WAS S - 8 $3.00 2

And I have these draft picks; 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 2.6, 3.1.

Turns out the Palmer, Brees and Manning owners were not interested in dealing at all. However, I did manage to get Young without forfeiting a 1st round pick.

Okay, now you're in business, as you have a legit QBBC to work depending upon matchups. You're very thin at RB and you definitely need a #1 WR. With your dealings, that makes keeping the 1.01-1.03 desirable for you. Draft AD, CJ, & Lynch with the 1st 3 picks, and then look for either RB or WR depth if either drops unexpectedly in your draft, or if in the first 17 picks you see 7 to 8 each of RBs and WRs go as expected and no hidden talent drops, take a good young QB to increase your QB depth - I really like a guy like Stanton at the 2.06.

You are now in a position where you don't have to take a risk. Fill your roster with the BPA available as each pick comes up. You'll have good young talent at every O skill position, which ought to carry your for a few years as you work each year to fill any small holes as they come up.

Nice work, my friend.

:D

You guys are in a dream world. No way can you get a proven stud player for the #3 overall pick. Especially not when the only two sure fire studs in this draft will already be gone. If you can get a Steve Smith caliber WR or a top 5 QB for the 1.3, I want to join this dynasty league. To get a stud, it will have to be a package deal at a minimum...

You guys are in a dream world. No way can you get a proven stud player for the #3 overall pick. Especially not when the only two sure fire studs in this draft will already be gone. If you can get a Steve Smith caliber WR or a top 5 QB for the 1.3, I want to join this dynasty league. To get a stud, it will have to be a package deal at a minimum...

Well, since you're so good at dynasty FF that you feel that you can be so damned smug & condescending here, why don't you offer up some advice of your own, genius?

If Lynch goes to BUF or GB in the draft (which is very likely), his value goes through the roof. You're telling me that you couldn't get a top 5 QB (the ADP of the #3 QB in startup dynasty drafts right now is around the 30th to 35th pick off the board) or a top WR (S Smith ADP is ~ #18 to #19 off the board, Fitz is about the same, Boldin is ~ #28 off the board, with Wayne & R Williams in about the same range, give or take).

So you're telling me Lynch in a good spot doesn't go earlier than #30-#35 - which is how you establish his trade value? That's about the area where the 19th/20th RB in the draft goes off the board. Reasonable projections for Lynch in a combined vet/rookie draft would have him going off the board somewhere around the 20th-25th pick.

Tell you what junior, I want to join some of your leagues...

Edited by Bronco Billy