[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Desensitized

AtomicCEO

My wife and I were watching the local news tonight and there were like 4 awful stories in a row about murders, "credible" threats of a school shooting, car crash deaths... and then this story came on (I paraphrase):

"A man died in a vehicle rollover today when his SUV went off a cliff, slid down the side of the hill, hit a boulder and rolled over. The driver was not seriously hurt and managed to get out of his car, but then he slipped off another cliff to his death."

The wife and I both started cracking up.

Sad world. He survived a car rollover, and then walked off a cliff.

My wife and I were watching the local news tonight and there were like 4 awful stories in a row about murders, "credible" threats of a school shooting, car crash deaths... and then this story came on (I paraphrase):

"A man died in a vehicle rollover today when his SUV went off a cliff, slid down the side of the hill, hit a boulder and rolled over. The driver was not seriously hurt and managed to get out of his car, but then he slipped off another cliff to his death."

The wife and I both started cracking up.

Sad world. He survived a car rollover, and then walked off a cliff.

its sad but that made me laugh out loud too.

I hate TV news. Hearing about car accidents, puppies burning in fires, baby's falling out of windows and such does not teach me anything - give any extra tools to use in my day or or... Athenae, doesn't do anything other than depress.

Why do folk need to know stuff like this?

I hate TV news. Hearing about car accidents, puppies burning in fires, baby's falling out of windows and such does not teach me anything - give any extra tools to use in my day or or... Athenae, doesn't do anything other than depress.

We don't usually watch, but my wife works with a bunch of kids who went to the high school that had the threats, so she wanted to see any updates.

There weren't any. They basically did a 20 second piece on exactly the same info that had been on the internet all day long.

I forget where I heard this theory (probably from some dumb ass TV show), but it goes something like this: we are fascinated by death. While the human animal is generaly very uncomfortable confronting its own demise, it can't help but fixate on the demise of others. We stare at it like a little kid might stare into a roaring fire place; transfixed, curious, but ultimatley unwilling to test that curiosity with our own flesh.

My wife and I have stopped watching the local news. We used to watch the 10pm news but realized it was just way too depressing of a way to end the day. It was just horrible story after horrible story right before drifting off to sleep. No thanks.

My wife and I have stopped watching the local news. We used to watch the 10pm news but realized it was just way too depressing of a way to end the day. It was just horrible story after horrible story right before drifting off to sleep. No thanks.

Same here, we'll try and catch the 6pm news now if we're home.

Same here, we'll try and catch the 6pm news now if we're home.

NPR and the Huddle for us.

The huddle might be one of the best places to get the news - because if something can be disproven - you better believe it will be. There's no getting half of the story here.

I don't watch the news. I don't get a newspaper. I listen to npr. I go to google news. hit a few other sites from time to time and review some of the news info here at thehuddle.

put bluntly, I deal with enough sick shiilt everyday at work. I avoid it at home.