[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

reason #183837627363 to shop at Wal-Mart

polksalet

Yeah I found that story to be a little irritating. From the looks of it the Marines weren't even 'recruiting', they were just talking to an old high school friend who happened to be working there. I'll be scratching Target off my list of places to shop from now on (not that I shopped there often before this event took place).

ok so they were talking to an employee, um that employee is being paid to work SO GET TO WORK SON...

it was confirmed that they were dressed like recruiters, they were talking to an employee...if it looks like a duck and sounds like duck it must be a duck....i dont really see a problem with them not allowing the marines to recruit in their store...one of the biggest hurdles for a retailer with regard to policy and procedure is to ensure that it is being used consistently and without discrimination...if there was a young african american in recruiting for NAACP memebers and he got kicked out and then saw the Marines recruiting all hel1 could break loose and rightfully so.

"We have a no-solicitation policy," Sherman said. "It has been in the news before. It's the same thing we went through with the Salvation Army and we give a lot of money to them. But we don't necessarily allow them to solicit on our property."

Target banned the Salvation Army's Christmas-time kettles from all its stores in 2004.

Sherman provided Target corporate statements that say since 2002, it has been "the victim of a misleading e-mail campaign, which grossly misrepresents our support of veterans and our soldiers."

"Target supports many charitable causes, including veterans' organizations," according to a statement. "For years we have donated funds and volunteer hours to local and national veteran and military organizations around the country."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I, for one, appreciate a company that protects its shoppers from unwanted solicitations as a strict policy. Once you start making exceptions, its a slippery slope.

I can politely decline advances of all kinds, but my wife is uncomfortable being approached by strangers like this (esp. homeless 'vets' reeking of alcohol,) when she has the kids by herself.

And Target has better stuff and cleaner stores than Walmart anyway.......

Yeah I found that story to be a little irritating. From the looks of it the Marines weren't even 'recruiting', they were just talking to an old high school friend who happened to be working there. I'll be scratching Target off my list of places to shop from now on (not that I shopped there often before this event took place).

They were talking to a guy who was supposed to be WORKING. As in being paid to work, not socialize with old friends. I don't see why you would hold this against Target. If people stopped by my office and turned it into social hour, I'd be telling people to leave as well.

I'll go to Shopko before I go to any of these other chain stores.

I help organize a Toys for Tots campaign every December here at work. We spend a week collecting cash from fellow employees and then go out and buy toys and donate them to Toys for Tots. We generally average $3000 from just here in our plant. Since we started this...the Marine who is in charge of the local Toys for Tots will join us that night and also bring other cash that has been donated and we'll also do the shopping for him and use that cash up buying more toys. So, every year, we'll have any where from $5000 up to $10,000 and we spend every penny buying toys.

We have approached all the local stores, Target, Walmart, KMart, Toys R Us...some of them(Target) don't even want us in their store. :D None of them would offer us any kind of deal to spend all this cash at their place. Except for Shopko. They set up one cash register just for us. Every toy in the store is put on some kind of discount for us, depending on the toy, 10-25% off everything we buy that night.

I try and avoid these chain stores as much as possible, but if I do go in one, it will always be Shopko I chose, before I go into any of these other places.