[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Car Totaled

Footballjoe

My 17 year old son was involved in a car accident this afternoon. He was not injured, although the lady that ran into him was. It was not serious but she had to go to the hospital. I am thnkful my son is ok. It appears my 1987 Celecia GT is totaled. Front end is pretty messed up. I checked Kelly Blue Book and I figure I might get about $1200 for it. Just put 2 new tireds on it 6 months ago and last week we put new plugs, wires, dist cap etc. :D She was a good car. Now the chore of looking for a "new" one. :D I know I will not find anything as dependable for the money I will get. So is life.

Insurance company just called an said they are going to give me $1050.00 for my car. This sucks. What the heck can I buy with that? A piece of crap. I knew what I had, a reliable car that looked descent. :D

Now they said because they made an offer I have to turn the rental car back in 5 days. :D

I am not happy today.

Thanks for listening.

Insurance company just called an said they are going to give me $1050.00 for my car. This sucks. What the heck can I buy with that? A piece of crap. I knew what I had, a reliable car that looked descent. :D

Now they said because they made an offer I have to turn the rental car back in 5 days. :D

I am not happy today.

Thanks for listening.

I hate insurance companies but over a grand for a 20 year old Toyota is not that bad, IMO.

Now they said because they made an offer I have to turn the rental car back in 5 days. :tup:

I am not happy today.

Thanks for listening.

Well, if Blue Book was $1200, this shouldn't be all that surprising, right? :D

Glad the kid is okay. I know how you feel. My 17-year old neice totaled my pride and joy '87 Firebird a year ago. It was my first and only brand new car and I hoped to keep it forever.

Why are you asking what you can buy for $1k? Tell your son that is his money and he'd better get a job to pay the difference on his next car.

Actually, its my car. He is home schooled and we allow him to work part-time with a carpenter so he uses my old car. I am happy that he is wanting to work instead of sitting around all day after he does his school work. I guess I am pissed off because I had a 20 yr old car that I took car of, it looked real good on the outside and was very dependable. It will be very hard to find something that is dependable. I am just mad. :D Can't a guy just be mad? :D

Went through the same thing with my 17 year old about 3 years ago.

Totalled a car that had been well taken care of.

He hit a parked car as he was trying to roll up the passenger window while driving. :D

I didn't buy him a car until his birthday 3 years later. He did buy himself one but it was a heaping pile of crap and I didn't want him driving around LA in it.

And sorry about the car, but am happy your son is ok

Edited by REZ

The car is totaled. I took some pictures but am not skilled enough to put them on this site. At least $5000 damage acording to the estimator. He stopped after that. The front end shifted. It was hit on the drivers side and the passanger side is damaged. I am looking at a 1988 Chevy Pickup. New motor put in 2 yrs ago. It is owned by a friend of mine. He wants $1700.

I don't think what their offer is is the end of it, you can plead your case and tell them because of the way it was taken care of and that you've owned it so long it is worth more than the average same car for that year. They may tell you to jump in the lake but I wouldn't just accept their offer right off the bat.

A buddy of mine has a 94 or 95 Chevy S-10 that was his grandfathers. Very low miles, well taken care of been in the family since new. A year ago it got hit in the parking lot and had quite a bit of damage.....The insurance company said they were going to total it and give him XX amount of dollars. He told them hell no, there's no way he'd be able to find a vehicle as reliable as his and in as good a shape for that price so they fixed it for him. I know your's can't be fixed butI would still argue with them a little.

And glad yer son is OK.