[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I saw somebody die tonight . . .

CaptainHook

Sad story indeed. When I was 13 I witnessed a head-on crash with deaths and it 's still a pretty vivid recollection. :D

I heard a car crash and found a flipped over car on my street when I was in my 20's-happened about 5:30 AM and the guy was trapped in the car and had to call 911. He was dead on the scene. There were no other cars involved on a quiet street at a 4 way stop. Can't figure out what happened.

After the ambulance and tow truck left I saw a graded paper from probably a 2nd or 3rd grader lying on the street. I just started crying. That child had just lost a father.

One time when I was on an overnight backcountry ski trip came over a ridge to find a downed Cessna. Weird to be in the middle of no where and see a wrecked plane. That's another story-but it had a happy ending.

Still haven't heard much definite yet. The driver was 17 years old. The girl in the passenger seat is in the best condition. The guy in the back seat was a senior, both of his legs are broken. All three went to New Palestine High School. Tonight is prom . . .

• Sad 1

Cory almost died in surgery, his mom told me he "coded". Broke almost every bone in his face, smashed out most of his teeth, broke his pelvis, lacerated his spleen and liver. He is in a induced coma, gonna be in the hospital for a while. They thought his internal injuries were worse, but when they opened him up they were more optimistic.

I also got to meet with the dead kids parents, since I am the only witness. Let me tell you, that sucked big time. They wanted to know what I saw, what time it was, was he alive when I got to the vehicle, did he suffer. I was about to freakin' cry, and I didn't even know the kids.

People have been driving by my house all day, leaving flowers, stopping and looking at the accident scene. It's less than 24 hours later, but the tree is cut up and gone, and the stump has even been ground out. crazy.

Edited by CaptainHook

Cory Suits almost died in surgery, his mom told me he "coded". Broke almost every bone in his face, smashed out most of his teeth, broke his pelvis, lacerated his spleen and liver. He is in a induced coma, gonna be in the hospital for a while. They thought his internal injuries were worse, but when they opened him up they were more optimistic.

I also got to meet with the dead kids parents, since I am the only witness. Let me tell you, that sucked big time. They wanted to know what I saw, what time it was, was he alive when I got to the vehicle, did he suffer. I was about to freakin' cry, and I didn't even know the kids.

People have been driving by my house all day, leaving flowers, stopping and looking at the accident scene. It's less than 24 hours later, but the tree is cut up and gone, and the stump has even been ground out. crazy.

This just gets worse........all i can think of is ......Gurgling........i assume that's the same for you and gotta ask if ya held that back from the parents.......... :D ............hang tough Captain

Yeah, I think the best bet for the parents is for Captain to lie his ass off and say that it looked like he was killed instantly and didn't suffer.

Yeah, I think the best bet for the parents is for Captain to lie his ass off and say that it looked like he was killed instantly and didn't suffer.

Ya........i know the truth is important......but the parents shouldn't have to be haunted with that memory :D .........although Hook will :D

I told them he died instantly. It was so dark, I honestly don't know who was gurgling. There were 3 in there. I just decided to leave the "gurgling" part out completely.

So far I've met with Kevin's parents and Corey's mom. I'm telling you, I never wanna have to see something like this again. The agony on Kevin's mom's face, she about collapsed. His dad said, "he was a great kid, just loved to drive fast". A couple of their schoolmates came down later, said they heard the police investigation estimates they were travelling at 105 mph. I think that's about right. Corey's mom was so thankful that someone was there to help. She's got 4 boys, her oldest gets to fly back from Iraq to deal with this. unbelievable. . .

Edited by CaptainHook

Two New Palestine High School students remained in an Indianapolis hospital late Saturday following a traffic crash that claimed the life of their friend and schoolmate.

Kevin Webber, 17, was driving east on Hancock County Road 100 South, about four miles south of New Palestine, when he lost control of the car he was driving about 11:30 p.m. Friday and it smashed into a tree, killing him, said sheriff's Maj. Joe Hunt.

Back seat passenger Corey Suits, 16, remained in critical condition, and front seat passenger Amanda Jones, 18, was in stable condition late Saturday in Methodist Hospital, Hunt said.

Webber was a senior at New Palestine High. Jones is a senior and Suits a junior.

Hunt said investigators believe the three teenagers had left Suits' residence, but were unsure where they were headed when the crash occurred. Webber and Jones were wearing seatbelts, but Suits was not, he said.

Investigators do not believe alcohol or drugs were involved in contributing to the cause of the crash, which remains under investigation, Hunt said.

link to Indy Star

IF you feel your kid isn't ready to drive don't let um.

because you are but a wee child, I will let you get away with this stupidness.

I bet you're big boned for your age, maybe 6'1" and 200#, think you're a big boy.

Trouble is, you kids don't know what the hell you're doing out there, and this comes from someone who was driving on the roads at 14, but was nearly killed at 16.

The stats don't lie, you little kids are killing yourselves at an alarming rate for nothing less than stupidness and inexperience.

Told them he died instantly. It was so dark, I honestly don't know who was gurgling. There were 3 in there. I just decided to leave the "gurgling" part out completely.

Good move.

coming back from my one and only time in the PA mountains we rounded a bend and saw a car overturned. Pulled over to the side of the road and ran over to the car. There were already some folks there. We helped lift the car up and I helped pulled the driver out. His head fell back and blood poured out of his mouth. He was no longer with us.

You're gonna live with this for a good bit CH. Keeping in mind that you did everything you possibly could should keep you on an even keel though. It's a fact of life that stuff is gonna happen and that sometimes we are around when it does. All we can do is our best.... and that is what you did.... and are doing. The talks with everyone has got to suck though. Big time. Sounds like you are a very strong person though as you kept the dead kids parents feelings in mind when recounting what you could to them.

Keep in mind that if, and when, you feel the need to blow off steam about this.. Huddlers are here for ya. I have found that to be a true fact over the years. A great group that will try their best to help you through rough times and bad situations.

CH, this is a terrible incident to be involved in as a non-emergency responder. The emergency personel taht responded all had a chance to debrief afterwards, you didn't. You have talked to us, and to the kids's parents. Now take some time and talk to someone that can help you. If you are religious talk to your clergy. If not call the police non-emergency number or fire/rescue and tell them that you were a part of that and would like to talk to someone that handles Critical Incident Stress Debreifing. If you don't this will hang with you for sometime. And like everyone else has said you did what you could.

CH, this is a terrible incident to be involved in as a non-emergency responder. The emergency personel taht responded all had a chance to debrief afterwards, you didn't. You have talked to us, and to the kids's parents. Now take some time and talk to someone that can help you. If you are religious talk to your clergy. If not call the police non-emergency number or fire/rescue and tell them that you were a part of that and would like to talk to someone that handles Critical Incident Stress Debreifing. If you don't this will hang with you for sometime. And like everyone else has said you did what you could.

I appreciate the advice. Yeah, it's been a crappy weekend for me since this happened. I tried to stay busy. I cut down a hugh maple in my backyard the next day, and have been working on cutting that up. I went and played in a poker tourney Saturday night. Did some more yard work and played in my volleyball league today. Just trying to keep my mind off it. It's hard though, especially with all the people in the community slowly driving by the accident site the last 48 hours. Here's a link to the kids obituary if anyone wants to see. I didn't know any of them, but I think I'll probably go to the funeral. Just kinda feel like I should. . .