[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Son wants a lizard

Missoula Griz

My son is turning 11 next week. He wants a lizard(iguana) for his birthday. I called some pet shops and they said they dont sell iguanas because they grow upto six feet. I am confused on what I should be shopping for.

Any help would be appreciated.

My Godson has had one for at least 10 years. Ralph, is now about 3' long and his cage/box is made of glass & wood and is about 5'x3'x4' and weighs a ton. They don't move much and they only eat like once a week or so. He likes it.

My sister had an Iguana that just recently died. It was around 7 or 8.

I have never seen one 6 feet and it may be exagerrated or seem smaller then the number because their tails get really long. Tip of tail to tip of nose may be 4 feet or so but the Iguana doesnt come off that big

They eat greens

They need room and heat. Usually a heat rock or a heat lamp does the trick. They like to climb too if you get a tall fish tank you can put some branches in it.

You can line the cage with cedar chips. Im not sure how often you need to change them

A local pet store that specializes in Birds and Reptiles (where I bought 2 of my birds) generally has several beared dragons in stock. I have done a little reading on the subject in the past, and this seems like a solid choice. The references I posted support this as well.

A local pet store that specializes in Birds and Reptiles (where I bought 2 of my birds) generally has several beared dragons in stock. I have done a little reading on the subject in the past, and this seems like a solid choice. The references I posted support this as well.

Thanks. Good info.

My grandkids in CA have two of those dragons. They love them. Need a lot of care from what I could see...but the kids sure thought they were worth it.

How old are your grandkids? My son lacks responsibility.

:D They were 15 and 8 when they got them IIRC.

And while I love them bunches.... at that time they probably wouldn't have recognized responsibility if it came up and introduced itself.

Check out leopard gekos. I have three for my kids and they are SUPER easy to care for and handle. Not a lot of investment either, under $100 for lizard, cage and heater. They are fun to watch "hunting" the crickets too! Dry environment lizard that does not have a messy wet environment to maintain.

Check out leopard gekos. I have three for my kids and they are SUPER easy to care for and handle. Not a lot of investment either, under $100 for lizard, cage and heater. They are fun to watch "hunting" the crickets too! Dry environment lizard that does not have a messy wet environment to maintain.

How big are they? How large do they get?

How big are they? How large do they get?

You generally get them really young at a place like PetSmart. I think ours were about $25-$30 each. All three are living, for the moment, quite happily in a ten gallon aquarium. They get about 8-10 inches full grown and the males grow a lot faster than the females.

:D

Just bought one at the pet store. Cool looking fella. He is real mellow and easy to hold. He is about 7 inches long. My son is turning 11 tomorrow and has no idea he is getting a pet.

I am now sitting at my desk at work eating a samich looking at all these crickets in a seperate container crawl all over themselves. It would suck to be a cricket.

Now I have to figure out how to put all the required heating pads, lights, and other stuff together. Lucky its another slow day in mortgage land. I cant wait until the little guy crunches his first cricket. Its a female, but I am going to tell my son its a male. Dad/son thing.

Thanks again for all the input on this subject. :D