[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The times of your life

Thews40

Rate the time period  

79 members have voted

1. 1. 13-19

• Awesome - mostly great
    • Good most of the time
    • Not so good at times
    • A bad time in my life
  2. 2. 20-29

• Awesome - mostly great
    • Good most of the time
    • Not so good at times
    • A bad time in my life
    • Not 20 yet
  3. 3. 30-39

• Awesome - mostly great
    • Good most of the time
    • Not so good at times
    • A bad time in my life
    • Not 30 yet
  4. 4. 40-49

• Awesome - mostly great
    • Good most of the time
    • Not so good at times
    • A bad time in my life
    • Not 40 yet
  5. 5. 50-59

• Awesome - mostly great
    • Good most of the time
    • Not so good at times
    • A bad time in my life
    • Not 50 yet
  6. 6. 60+

• Awesome - mostly great
    • Good most of the time
    • Not so good at times
    • A bad time in my life
    • Not 60 yet

Just curious of how you'd rate the times of your life. I was talking to someone who told me her high school years were not fond memories. I was hell on wheels during the teenage years, but it was a blast. In the home school poll, I tried to envision how my life would have turned out differently if I hadn't had the exposure to other kids. I'm almost 45, and back in 3rd grade if you didn't get a Valentine on Valentine's day, then your box was empty. Today's kids (generation Y's) are protected from a lot, and as an example most schools require that either every kid gets a Valentine, or no one gets them. Same with little league... everyone gets a trophy these days. This is supposed to bolster self esteem, but IMO this delays the growing up process, and social lessons not learned at a young age are delayed until later in life for today's kids. Unless there's some other way to expose your kids to enough social interaction, I can't see how a home schooled child could experience enough social interaction.

Anyway, I was curious to see what I should expect from the 50+ crowd.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting. My teenage and HS years were fantastic. I miss the simplicity of my life back then. Nintendo, summer vacations. Basketball, chores.

My 20's were mostly good, with an incredible college experience being the highlights. However, I had some career issues and had a failed engagement. Looking back, though... these turned out to be good things. But at the time, they sucked.

My 30's (so far) have been very up and down. A huge up (obviously) was meeting my now-wife.... the wedding... honeymoon... etc. But one of the most difficult (if not THE most difficult) things of my life happened to me about 3 years ago.

I'm wondering who the one, old, miserable geezer was that completed the poll? :D

Probably the one that lost his wife dumbass.

Show some respect.

Edit:

I'm the miserable geezer. Do you have anything else to add?

Hang in there Sky and don't worry about that Megan Fox.

Edited by twiley

The more responsibility I have taken on, the more difficulties have been associated with that portion of my life. So, my teens were Awesome, my 20s were Very Good, and my 30s have been Some Good and Some Bad.

My high school years sucked hard. Since I've taken the reins there have been those natural ups and downs, but overall I've made sure I've had an absolute blast. No offense to any practicing Hindu's but I only get one shot at this, I'm gonna make the most of it.

Plus, if the text gets quoted, you're screwed too. :D

You have the huddle on your phone? :D You're cool.

I do too... it's fun, but a pain in the rear to keep up with posting and the like. Sent someone the same PM 7 times yesterday as my phone was acting up.

Nostalgia factors in. I remember all the crazy laughs I had in high school. I don't remember the crap that made me mope.

In retrospect... getting dumped by Little Polly Rottencrotch is not a significant life event compared to the great times I had. But, at the time... it was important.

I have to assume that the day-to-day things that I stress about now will be a distant unimportant memory 10 years from now, but the laughter of my kid will be something I remember for a lifetime.

The minute I read that I just cringed...

me too :D

Irish, I have stuck up for you in the past, but this is just ridiculous. You keep saying that you want to fit in around here, yet you obviously haven't paid any attention to what is going on with the other members around here (at least I hope that is the case or else your post is even worse than it appears at first blush). I now honestly think that it just might be better for you to move on to a different forum. I'm sorry.

We need to get on with what should have been a great thread/poll and just ignore numb nuts.

Though I appreciate the responses.

=====================================

Good poll.... makes one dissect each decade and come up with an overall view of how it was lived.

Ups and downs .... Ups and downs. On the whole I don't think I can complain too much up until two years ago. Till then.... life is life....good and bad.... no real bads..lot of great goods.

In retrospect... getting dumped by Little Polly Rottencrotch is not a significant life event compared to the great times I had. But, at the time... it was important.

:D The first big D at 30 sucked real hard, but then some cool stuff happened afterwards, so I put mostly good for the 30's. I'll have an empty nest this year with both kids in college, so it's kinda hard to predict the rest of the 40's.

Skylive5, I owe you a shot of whatever that aged hooch is you like (the hard stuff is all nasty to me). Up here in Coors country, I can't deny that I actually have an acquired taste for it... kinda like water. Lemme know when road trip II kicks off.

Edited by Thews40