[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Do NOT get VISTA if you can wait

DMD

Okay, so I have not been online ALL DAY thanks to Windows Vista.

I got up this morning early at 10AM and started downloading email, checking out the boards (there's a way to start your day) and suddenly - poof - no more internet. I figured that my cable modem was down again so I went through the regular steps of recycling my modem and router since that sometimes fixes it. No dice. So I figured it was my ISP which on a rare occasion mysteriously goes down for about an hour and then when their server probably recycles, I am back online. Not in an hour.... I was going to call my ISP to discuss the situation with them when my wife said her PC was getting internet.... and so was my son's...

Very long story short, I tried everything possible to get it to work again. No dice. I recabled, rebooted, troubleshooted, etc.. No dice. I finally went on my kids PC to search for an answer and noticed that many VISTA OS people had the same problem and while everyone had their suggestion, no one seemed to have anything that would work. Again - long story short. About 6 hours vested into this now.

Since I bought the PC from Dell in FEB, I figured I would give India a ring just for giggles and someone to speak crossly unto. Amazingly, they answered within about ten seconds which scared me. And whatever the guys name was, he made me go through many of the steps that I had done before (actually I just said I did them since I already had. It is a game you have to play).

Another long story short, he had me just system restore from yesterday and now I have internet again. Neither he nor I have any freaking idea why it happend and was unfixable. But I have internet, at least for now.

So - do NOT get VISTA if you can wait. XP was much, much, much more stable. I have not even bothered to post the other little things I have gone through. IMO - it should still have been a year away from being ready.

sigh... :D

Okay, so I have not been online ALL DAY thanks to Windows Vista.

I got up this morning early at 10AM and started downloading email, checking out the boards (there's a way to start your day) and suddenly - poof - no more internet. I figured that my cable modem was down again so I went through the regular steps of recycling my modem and router since that sometimes fixes it. No dice. So I figured it was my ISP which on a rare occasion mysteriously goes down for about an hour and then when their server probably recycles, I am back online. Not in an hour.... I was going to call my ISP to discuss the situation with them when my wife said her PC was getting internet.... and so was my son's...

Very long story short, I tried everything possible to get it to work again. No dice. I recabled, rebooted, troubleshooted, etc.. No dice. I finally went on my kids PC to search for an answer and noticed that many VISTA OS people had the same problem and while everyone had their suggestion, no one seemed to have anything that would work. Again - long story short. About 6 hours vested into this now.

Since I bought the PC from Dell in FEB, I figured I would give India a ring just for giggles and someone to speak crossly unto. Amazingly, they answered within about ten seconds which scared me. And whatever the guys name was, he made me go through many of the steps that I had done before (actually I just said I did them since I already had. It is a game you have to play).

Another long story short, he had me just system restore from yesterday and now I have internet again. Neither he nor I have any freaking idea why it happend and was unfixable. But I have internet, at least for now.

So - do NOT get VISTA if you can wait. XP was much, much, much more stable. I have not even bothered to post the other little things I have gone through. IMO - it should still have been a year away from being ready.

sigh... :D

David,

I share your grief! I just spent 1.5 hours w/ my cuz George tryin' to install a new printer.

Long story short.................He had 3 printer installs from his attempts. We tried to delete them....errors! :D I'm going to have to go to his house next week and try and fix it.

FWIW......Everything I've read about this OS is the same! It's a bigger piece of crap than ME was. I wish I could help you, but until I get my paws on the POS I'm working in the blind.

When I helped my cuz picking this computer, I tried to talk him into paying the $90 for XP. He didn't want to do that.

If I get any info, of course I'll share.

Good Luck David! :tup:

... why don't you just go back to XP?

I have installed XP on a few machines that shipped with vista cause the users either hated it, it was too slow, or critical software would not work on it.

Good advice!

I have installed XP on a few machines that shipped with vista cause the users either hated it, it was too slow, or critical software would not work on it.

Largely because I have MS-Office 2007 Professional with Access. And that is NOT backward compatible...

i purchased a couple copies of XP Pro just in case I need a new PC since they all have Vista on them now....Vista does NOT work with my POS yet so I figured better safe then sorry.

I recommend what the h8er said. i have a new dell laptop (which came with vista) and i'm running on the xp. I was having problems with it from the getgo. and like you, i was troubleshooting every which way but loose. Aggravating to say the least. Puts you in the "kick the dog" attitude.

Unless there's an overriding business reason, no company that I am aware of is bothering with Vista until at least SP1, which may be out sooner than expected. We will not go Vista until at least the back end of 2008, most likely 2009. If someone identifies a business need, we'll assess individual cases.

David,

I share your grief! I just spent 1.5 hours w/ my cuz George tryin' to install a new printer.

Long story short.................He had 3 printer installs from his attempts. We tried to delete them....errors! :D I'm going to have to go to his house next week and try and fix it.

FWIW......Everything I've read about this OS is the same! It's a bigger piece of crap than ME was. I wish I could help you, but until I get my paws on the POS I'm working in the blind.

When I helped my cuz picking this computer, I tried to talk him into paying the $90 for XP. He didn't want to do that.

If I get any info, of course I'll share.

Good Luck David! :D

So RnR, you can still purchase XP? If so that's the way I'm going when I purchase a new PC.

So RnR, you can still purchase XP? If so that's the way I'm going when I purchase a new PC.

It was still at BB 7 weeks ago! :D

I just talked to one of my IT buds at my old CC. Mind you, this CC is HUGH! Used to be the biggest single campus CC in the US, before they changed to semesters....but I digress!

He said in no uncertain terms that my old CC would not be 100% Vista for AT LEAST 18 months!!!! :D

I respect this guy a lot! Case closed......Keep XP!

Largely because I have MS-Office 2007 Professional with Access. And that is NOT backward compatible...

Can you return it?

Why people put up with software that doesn't work, I have no idea. Would you put up with hardware that doesn't work?

Can you return it?

Why people put up with software that doesn't work, I have no idea. Would you put up with hardware that doesn't work?

Nod! I still use Office 2000, and it works fine. :D

I bought a laptop for my son last year prior to Vista appearing and it had one of those mail-in free Vista upgrades. I tossed the rebate thingy in the trash.

Edited by Ursa Majoris

My new Gateway laptop with Vista will disconnect from the wireless internet connection if I don't use it for a while. The only way I can get it back is to restart the computer. It's damn frustrating!! :D