[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Sharpton Denies Disputing Romney's Faith

spain

http://www.comcast.net/news/politics/index...qh=itn_sharpton

Sharpton Denies Disputing Romney's Faith

By GLEN JOHNSON, Associated Press Writer

Wed May 9, 4:57 AM

BOSTON - The Rev. Al Sharpton, who recently urged that radio host Don Imus be fired for making a racially insensitive remark, said in a debate that "those of us who believe in God" will defeat Republican Mitt Romney for the White House. But Sharpton denied he was questioning the Mormon's own belief in God.

Rather, the New York Democrat said he was contrasting himself with Christopher Hitchens, the atheist author he was debating at the time.

"As for the one Mormon running for office, those who really believe in God will defeat him anyways, so don't worry about that; that's a temporary situation," Sharpton said Monday during a debate with Hitchens at the New York Public Library's Beaux-Arts headquarters.

The comment was first reported Tuesday in a blog on The New York Times's Web site.

The Romney campaign, which has been wary of campaign trail criticism of Romney's faith, jumped on the Sharpton comment. If elected, Romney would be the first Mormon to serve as president.

"It is terribly disheartening and disappointing to hear Reverend Sharpton offer such appalling comments about a fellow American's faith," said Romney spokesman Kevin Madden. "America is a nation of many faiths and common values, and bigotry toward anyone because of their beliefs is unacceptable."

Romney himself said Monday during an appearance on Fox News program "Hannity and Colmes": "I think there are differences between different faiths in this country. And there will be battles between different religions. ... That's a great thing about this country. We don't decide who's going to be in office based on what church they go to."

In a tape of the debate, Sharpton can be heard defending the role of religion in the civil rights movement and shunning any suggestion that there wasn't a religious underpinning to the efforts of its leader, the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr.

Then Sharpton spoke of Romney, although a tape reviewed by The Associated Press does not reveal why.

In a later interview with the AP, Sharpton denied questioning Romney's belief in God and suggested the Romney camp was trying to stir up a controversy because of their political differences.

"What I said was that we would defeat him, meaning as a Republican," Sharpton said. "A Mormon, by definition, believes in God. They don't believe in God the way I do, but by definition, they believe in God."

He said he was contrasting himself and other believers with Hitchens, who is the author of a new book, "God Is Not Great."

Last month, Sharpton led the calls for Imus' ouster last month after the talk show host referred to members of the Rutgers University women's basketball team as "nappy-headed hos."

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For some reason that I cannot even begin to understand, Al Sharpton is untouchable. He can say and do whatever he wants and it will never detract from his following (such as it is).

:pointsindexfingertopalmofhand:

For some reason that I cannot even begin to understand, Al Sharpton is untouchable. He can say and do whatever he wants and it will never detract from his following (such as it is).

Its because he is black. Pretty obvious.

How would you "touch" Sharpton anyway? It's not like he holds any public office. He is so irrelevant these days even african americans scoff at his nonsense. The only people that could hurt Sharpton is the media by taking the mic outa Sharptons face. The are just pandering to people like Spain that want to get all worked up by anything mildly contraversial Sharpton says. Keep empowering Sharpton Spain, he needs people like you.

How would you "touch" Sharpton anyway? It's not like he holds any public office. He is so irrelevant these days even african americans scoff at his nonsense. The only people that could hurt Sharpton is the media by taking the mic outa Sharptons face. The are just pandering to people like Spain that want to get all worked up by anything mildly contraversial Sharpton says. Keep empowering Sharpton Spain, he needs people like you.

Excuse me! He was the f'n keynote speaker at the Democratic National Committee meeting in 2004. Of course, they thought he would sway the black vote over to Kerry. But he simply alienated those folks who are against his brand of race baiting.

Excuse me! He was the f'n keynote speaker at the Democratic National Committee meeting in 2004.

I'll go ahead and pitch a chest high softball over the middle of the plate, but I'm pretty sure Barrack Obama and not Shaprton gave the keynote speech.

I'll go ahead and pitch a chest high softball over the middle of the plate, but I'm pretty sure Barrack Obama and not Shaprton gave the keynote speech.

Well, I know for a fact that Sharpton spoke at the DNC convention in 2004. He is the apex of hypocrisy and I guess thats why the Dems love him so much...

Well, I know for a fact that Sharpton spoke at the DNC convention in 2004. He is the apex of hypocrisy and I guess thats why the Dems love him so much...

I know for a fact that that Angie Harmon spoke at the RNC convention in 2004. She is the apex of Hollywood and thats why Repulitards clamor to her so much.

There's no hypocrisy in the GOP? You know, when comparing rhetoric like "limited government" and "fiscal responsibility" with actual actions like spying on Americans and racking up tremendous debt?

Despite the fact that Dems have him speak at their conventions and rally behind him in many fool causes...you bring up the fool things he says and dems will always say "who listens to him? " ..amongst other things distancing themselves... they do not care that their party will sink so low that they even put fools like this on stage for votes.

Despite the fact that Dems have him speak at their conventions and rally behind him in many fool causes...you bring up the fool things he says and dems will always say "who listens to him? " ..amongst other things distancing themselves... they do not care that their party will sink so low that they even put fools like this on stage for votes.

Rhetoric like this doesn't help, either...

I know for a fact that that Angie Harmon spoke at the RNC convention in 2004. She is the apex of Hollywood and thats why Repulitards clamor to her so much.

No wonder Dems struggle to win elections these days.

Edited by Bill Swerski

my tongue won't stay in my mouth. It's becoming an issue at work.

She should win an Oscar for being the hottest actress ever. The picture in the white bikini floating around the innernets is much better, but it's PG-13 and the tailgate has officially become PG.

Edited by bushwacked

Rhetoric like this doesn't help, either...

No wonder Dems struggle to win elections these days.

You are right on both.

And yet, none of them will even dare criticize the Dems for allowing that virolent racist to represent their party on stage at their convention. Nope. They cant come to grips with problems within their party so they have to throw out red herrings and non starters. Sad really. Their come backs are about irrelevant issues like Angie Harmon. We are talking about Sharpton here and how he is a representative of the Dem party.