[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Hot Water Heater Question

Hugh 0ne

I have a natural gas hot water heater in mah basement. How often should those be changed? Last thing I want is for that f*cker to spring a leak and flood mah basement. It was installed in 1999. What's the rule of thumb? I was thinking 10 years. :D

Edited by Hugh 0ne

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a natural gas hot water heater in mah basement. How often should those be changed? Last thing I want is for that f*cker to spring a leak and flood mah basement. It was installed in 1999. What's the rule of thumb? I was thinking 10 years. :D

When carbon monoxide kills the cat.

I didn't think there was a hard rule for changing items like this. When they break they break and I didn't think when a Hot Water heater broke it would flood but I'm not an expert.

Mine is pretty old too, maybe I should be pro-active and change it out?

I didn't think there was a hard rule for changing items like this. When they break they break and I didn't think when a Hot Water heater broke it would flood but I'm not an expert.

Mine is pretty old too, maybe I should be pro-active and change it out?

Those are my thoughts as well.

we have a drain in our basement right by the water heater ... the water runs into it.

just replaced ours after 9 years of use (it leaked). a pre-emptive strike at 8 years is probably not a bad idea. peace of mind and you also may get a tax break for the energy efficiency.

I have a Handyman/Plumbing business. I have replaced water heaters that are over 20 years old and some that were less than 5. They go when they want. You may be able to put a pan under yours with a line running to a sump pump drain, if you have one.

I looked into these two years ago, and this is what I found out.

Gas HWH will last longer than electric. They warranty them for 8 to 15 years IIRC nowadays. So, yours is just reaching the end of its life cycle, but will probably go for much longer. I would let it go until it breaks and then replace it. Its unlikely that your tub would go this early, but the overflow and pressure relief valves could leak over time. Its not likely to be a flood when you're away, but a slow drip that develops with time so you can catch it.

PS: you do have at least one carbon monoxide detector with working batteries in the house right?

I have a Handyman/Plumbing business. I have replaced water heaters that are over 20 years old and some that were less than 5. They go when they want. You may be able to put a pan under yours with a line running to a sump pump drain, if you have one.

:D

How do I feed the line to the pump? I can't leave it above the concrete, that'll look ret*rded. And I really don't want to put a channel in the concrete, sawing concrete sucks ass. I just doubled the size of my sump pump basin and had to cut through the 4 inch foundation, talk about a mess. I think everyone in my neighborhood had dust in their homes. :D

Do you think the water will magically disappear if it springs a leak? :D

I was thinking more from the heating aspect plus I too have a drain right by the water heater and while it would overflow it would eventually go down that drain.

Be proactive I say, change it now.

When it is time to replace, would you consider a tankless water heater? I've been thinking about doing that.

Go to Lowes. They havem and you can see what they do and how they operate. About $500-$600. Or call a plumber.

:D

How do I feed the line to the pump? I can't leave it above the concrete, that'll look ret*rded. And I really don't want to put a channel in the concrete, sawing concrete sucks ass. I just doubled the size of my sump pump basin and had to cut through the 4 inch foundation, talk about a mess. I think everyone in my neighborhood had dust in their homes. :D

Well, the only choices are to install it in the slab or run it on top. You could run it along the wall as much as possible and paint it.

Edit: Unless you are doing this yourself it would wise to replace the water heater at the same time due to cost.

Edited by Footballjoe