[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Can you younger old timers point me in the right direction?

Grits and Shins

Tomorrow my daughter will have completed the 9th grade.

It seems to me that now would be the time to begin exploring scholarship and other funding opportunities.

Have any of you recently been through this process? Can you point me to a good starting place to begin this monumental task of getting my daughter through college ... hopefully on somebody else's ticket?

It seems to me that now would be the time to begin exploring scholarship and other funding opportunities.

Have any of you recently been through this process? Can you point me to a good starting place to begin this monumental task of getting my daughter through college ... hopefully on somebody else's ticket?

Let me know if you or your daughter is going to have to take out loans for college. I work in the student loan industry and will tell you all you need to know :D

Rotary Club, Elks, in general sounds like you've got a lot of applications and essays to help write. :D Athletes and superior academic students get the free rides is she either of those two or both? :D

Oh wait you don't read my posts. I said it last year and I'll say it again this year... Get over it!!

Softball :D

It would be wonderful if she was able to get a softball scholarship ... but realistically I don't see it happening. Certainly we have to prepare for it not to happen.

In addition if she sticks to her desire to be a marine biologist her school of choice may not even have a softball program.

Now we have wondered about the idea of a karate scholarship ...

Grits most states have some type Guaranteed Tuition program where you can buy credits at a discounted price and use them for the same price when her time comes to pay for higher education. Saves quite a bit as tuition seems to get higher every year.

Also if she can write there are a myriad of grants etc. just for writing essays on everthing from having curly hair to making pancakes. My daughter got a caddy scholarship from a local course, and several dollars from essays and local businesses that sponsor kids for different projects and community service they do. Talk to her counselor now. They can help if they are any good at all. Also get her into a quick strat program in HS where she can take courses and receive credits from local colleges. Helps a ton in a lot of ways.

Make sure her grades are good, the better the grades the bigger slice of the pie she'll get. That and being well rounded IE: Softball etc.

This isn't much but......i was doin a Dave Ramsey class last Fall that was taught by a College Administrator.....kinda on the Downlow .....he didn't seem comfortable sayin it.......was that

1) College tuition is negotiable.......take the Price of 3 or 4 colleges in the same area and ask them to match the low tuition.....(obviously dealin with smaller schools that need the seats filled to survive)

2) Some colleges like to have a student from every state (want to be able to claim that :D ).....so hit up all the big schools no matter what......he knows from experience that 5 kids in last 2 years from Iowa got Scholarships at Arizona, Cal, and Oregon

3) like NSab said ......Grades are your biggest helper and what they can offer the College

4) my wife just said last night.........college looks like it's gonna cost us a month like Braces are....wait no :D ....... alot more then Braces......... :tup:

I know you don't consider it a sport, but many LPGA scholarships go unclaimed every year.

IF she can, have her take all honors in High school. That is the road to many scholarships.

Yes I have heard that golf is a good way to get scholarships ... she has no interest in that area however.

< Nod > Yup ... she is in all honors classes ...

Scholarships of every type are difficult and income has to be pretty low to get hardship (It was <$30K household income in 1996) . Having been a college adviser for 20+ years, though not recently, I can say that the market is tough and getting tougher. For science and engineering degrees, ACT scores need to be in the low 30's minimum just to apply.

Grad rank is important. ACT/SAT scores will mean a lot. National Merit Scholars increase your chances also. My niece was the 2nd or 3rd highest NMS in TX, and got a full scholarship to A & M, pre-vet! So, until those are done, your research now won't mean much, but it's still worth it.

Seriously, you have great schools in Texas. I did a quick Google and came up w/ this:

Texas A & M........

Anything else, just ask. :tup:

Edit for:

OOPS!!!!! You intended this for "YOUNGER" oldtimers. :D Forget everything I said. :D

Edited by rocknrobn26

Grits most states have some type Guaranteed Tuition program where you can buy credits at a discounted price and use them for the same price when her time comes to pay for higher education. Saves quite a bit as tuition seems to get higher every year.

Enrollment for that in Texas is currently closed...

http://www.texastomorrowfunds.org/ttf_overview.html

Two words: state schools

Two more words, hyphenated: in-state

Five words: she can get a job

And now some links about Marine Biology that she should look at:

http://www.soc.soton.ac.uk/PR/schools4.html

http://life.bio.sunysb.edu/marinebio/becoming.html

http://www.lovelab.id.ucsb.edu/revenge.html

I'm all about state schools and have a particular affinity for Texas A&M ....

This might be a stretch but do any of the Colleges she may be interested in have a Martial arts team that could eventually lead to a scholarship.

Scholarships of every type are difficult and income has to be pretty low to get hardship (It was <$30K household income in 1996) . Having been a college adviser for 20+ years, though not recently, I can say that the market is tough and getting tougher. For science and engineering degrees, ACT scores need to be in the low 30's minimum just to apply.

Grad rank is important. ACT/SAT scores will mean a lot. National Merit Scholars increase your chances also. My niece was the 2nd or 3rd highest NMS in TX, and got a full scholarship to A & M, pre-vet! So, until those are done, your research now won't mean much, but it's still worth it.

Seriously, you have great schools in Texas. I did a quick Google and came up w/ this:

Texas A & M........

Anything else, just ask. :tup:

Edit for:

OOPS!!!!! You intended this for "YOUNGER" oldtimers. :D Forget everything I said. :D

I was thinking that the OLDER old timers may be a bit behind the times ... but all input is appreciated.

Yes I have heard that golf is a good way to get scholarships ... she has no interest in that area however.

< Nod > Yup ... she is in all honors classes ...

Invest in pre-SAT classes. The Junior year SAT (forgot what it is called, PSAT?) is deceptively important for gaining scholarships.

There is virtually no "central data base" for scholarship information. You just have to hunt and peck on the intranets. Now, once she knows what school she will likely attend, you can locate all the financial aid resources offered by that school. But hiting up civic clubs, special interest groups, alumni organizations and the like is something you have to do piecemeal.

Student loans, and some grants, can be researched and applied for fairly easily.

It isn't an easy process, but there is a sea of money available out there. Unfortunatly, most of the private money is tied to being a certain "type" of person. Most of the public money is tied to athletics, academics, and financial need.