[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Greatest Guitar Solos of All Time

SheikYerbuti

So I'm addicted to Guitar Hero on PS2 at the moment, and I'm wondering what the 10 greatest guitar solos of all time are. . .I'll get the ball rolling.

1. Stevie Ray Vaughn - Texas Flood

2. Jimi Hendrix - Spanish Castle Magic

3. David Gilmour - Comfortably Numb

4. Robert Fripp - 21st Century Schizoid Man

5. Eddie Van Halen - Hot for Teacher

6. Eric Clapton - Crossroads

7. Steve Vai - For the Love of God

8. Frank Zappa - Rat Tomago

9. Tom Morello - Bulls on Parade

10. Stanley Jordan - Stairway to Heaven

What's your list?

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Eruption blows away Hot for Teacher and Randy Rhodes should be in there somewhere

Yeah, Eruption is a monster, but back in high school I knew 3 kids who (after years of trying) could play it note for note. I ain't ever heard anyone play Hot for Teacher verbatum.

Rhodes deserves the nod, you're right. I just didn't have room.

Its also been voted on that Kurt Cobain is one of the greatest guitarists ever... Which he was nowhere near. Voting is done by the masses, who are usually very confused.

Yeah, I'm a Nirvana guy. Have been since 2 years before Nevermind came out (I still say Bleach is their best, although not most important album). But Kurt should not be on the 100 greatest guitarist list. Greatest figures in rock history? Top 5. Greatest guitarist? Maybe top 500.

And the point of this thread is to hear YOUR top 10, not the public consensus. . .

I would like to add the entire album "Friday Night in San Francisco" by Di Meola, De Lucia, and McLaughlin, but I don't think it qualifies as a single guitar solo.

Assuming we are dealing with mostly rock/pop stuff, I'd just give a shout-out to the mostly forgotten Terry Kath, who got drunk and blew his brains out and Chicago went on to become one of the biggest Rosie O'Donnell bands of all time. However, in his day, even Jimi Hendrix was reportedly a fan. So, I'd put 25 or 6 to 4 in there somewhere, although he arguably did even better work at least on their first three albums.

Otherwise, that's a pretty good list. More thought than I would care to put into it.

When you can play Zappa's "The Torture Neve Stops" or better yet, "The Black Page" come talk to me.

Although for sheer rawness, Neil Young's "Cinnamon Girl" wins hands down. He only uses one note.

When you can play Zappa's "The Torture Neve Stops" or better yet, "The Black Page" come talk to me.

Although for sheer rawness, Neil Young's "Cinnamon Girl" wins hands down. He only uses one note.

Cinnamon Girl is actually more than one note, but not by very much. All time great tune.

The Ramones' "I Wanna Be Sedated", however IS one single pitch for the entire solo. Brilliant, and I seriously thought of putting it on my list. If it were top 20, it'd be on there for sure.

Assuming we are dealing with mostly rock/pop stuff, I'd just give a shout-out to the mostly forgotten Terry Kath, who got drunk and blew his brains out and Chicago went on to become one of the biggest Rosie O'Donnell bands of all time. However, in his day, even Jimi Hendrix was reportedly a fan. So, I'd put 25 or 6 to 4 in there somewhere, although he arguably did even better work at least on their first three albums.

Otherwise, that's a pretty good list. More thought than I would care to put into it.

+1, your beat me to it. This guy could get it done in the early years, and 25 or 6 to 4 would be a good starting point if you've never heard him.

Kirk Hammett (Metallica)- "One"

I go to my local pool hall twice a week to play in a league, and I swear to god I must hear "One" on the juke 4 times a night there. If I could get about 10 years away from that song and come back to it fresh, I'd remember that it is a HOF solo.

Layla - Clapton

Crazy Diamond or Eclipse - David Gilmore

Sultans of Swing - Mark Knofler

Stone in love or Anyway You Want It - Neil Schon, Journey. I remember this guy could RIP! I saw him live in the ealry 80s and he could jam with anyone.

Many by Robert Fripp of King Crimson, Alex Lifeson- Rush or Randy Rhodes

I go to my local pool hall twice a week to play in a league, and I swear to god I must hear "One" on the juke 4 times a night there. If I could get about 10 years away from that song and come back to it fresh, I'd remember that it is a HOF solo.

Lol, overexposed fer sure but "Justice" was an epic album. No need to skip tracks on that album to find a great solo.

Lol, overexposed fer sure but "Justice" was an epic album. No need to skip tracks on that album to find a great solo.

I have to say, if I could only keep one Metallica track and throw the rest in the ocean (and everything from the Black Album on qualifies for me), I'd keep Blackened. I think it's their signature song.

No love for Santana - Samba Pa Ti? (Or just about anything else.) Or Dicky Betts? Or Mark Knopfler?

There is some great talent out there in the guitar world for sure..and some fantastic solo's.

I got to see Dicky Betts play with Johnny Lang and BB King here for BB's Birthday a few years back and I must say DB was outstanding...way better than all the rest & even stayed playing with BB well after the show was over & most of the others had left...just sitting on stage jamming with BB. He obviously has a sincere love of playing music. :D

Song #2 (dont remember the name) makes me want to rock out no matter the mood I am in. Its like 10 minutes long, but every friggin second of it rocks.