[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

WalMart Oil Change

KevinL

I've changed the oil in my car since I was 16. Now I either go to Walmart or some rapid oil change place. I don't want to mess with it and the 100% chance of getting oil spills either in the garage or driveway.

The Rapid oil change place that I like is right next to a Culver's restaurant. Yummy. The car is always ready by the time I'm done eating at the restaurant.

I just put cardboard down when I change the oil...works wonders...

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate WalMart. Not because they are a corporate giant, but because their stores tend to be dirty, their merchandise tends to be cheap, and their customer service absolutely sucks. I've probably only gone into WalMart two or three times in the last 5 years, and only then because I needed something right then, and they were the only store open that had what I needed. The last time it was for a boat paddle on a Sunday afternoon. We were making Jambalyia and my old paddle finally gave up the ghost.

I value my time, and I value customer service. I pay to get my oil changed, and I pay to get my yard work done. I figure my free time is worth more to me than what money I would save by doing it myself.

Customer Service is huge with me. I will spend $2 more on a package of band-aids at my pharmacy that is about 1/2 mile from my house because of the customer service. My pharmacist knows me and my whole family by name. I walk in and Gary asks me what I need. I tell him I need ban-aids that will cover the tip of my toe, and he comes out from behind the counter gets, them the whole time asking how the family is doing. He also knows what my kids are allergic to off the top of his head. About 2 months ago he saved my daughter from a pretty nasty allergic reaction. The doctor had prescribed something she was allergic to when he faxed in the prescription. Well my pharmacist took the initiative to call the doctor and tell him my daughter was allergic to what he called for, and had an alternative waiting for me when I got there to pick it up. You think CVS or Walgrens would have done that?

Same thing with photography stuff. I go to a local camera shop where the people their actually know something about what they are selling. When I bought my wife a new digital camera for Christmas, they actually talked me down from what I thought I was going to buy her. They asked what she was going to use it for. She is a fairly serious amateur photographer, but didn't need something the would control studio lights, so while I may have paid more for the camera that I ended up buying than I would have at a box store, overall I saved about $400 by not buying a camera that had a bunch of options she didn't need. I do the same thing when I buy a TV or audio equipment.

There is a local mens store that will call me when they get a new shipment of a certain brand of shoe or sport coat, or when they go on sale. I could probably get them cheaper at the mall, but then I'd have to go to the mall, fight the crowds, and deal with some high school kid or senior citizen that didn't know what I wanted or anything about what I wanted. When I go to Harley's they greet me at the door, I don't have to wait for service, and they already know what I like and what I don't like. I can get what I want in 10-15 minutes in lieu of an hour or so.

I've changed the oil in my car since I was 16. Now I either go to Walmart or some rapid oil change place. I don't want to mess with it and the 100% chance of getting oil spills either in the garage or driveway.

+1. except i go to grease monkey, not walmart. i'm cool with walmart for buying stuff, but not for anything requiring any sort of service whatsoever. i figure i'm totally on my own in there, so that i'm not disappointed by the complete lack of knowledgable customer service. walmart has lots of chit, and they have it at great prices! :D

+1. except i go to grease monkey, not walmart. i'm cool with walmart for buying stuff, but not for anything requiring any sort of service whatsoever. i figure i'm totally on my own in there, so that i'm not disappointed by the complete lack of knowledgable customer service. walmart has lots of chit, and they have it at great prices! :D

And I always use the self checkout...don't need some inbread slowing me down with a scanner...

Edited by alexgaddis

I hate WalMart. Not because they are a corporate giant, but because their stores tend to be dirty, their merchandise tends to be cheap, and their customer service absolutely sucks. I've probably only gone into WalMart two or three times in the last 5 years, and only then because I needed something right then, and they were the only store open that had what I needed. The last time it was for a boat paddle on a Sunday afternoon. We were making Jambalyia and my old paddle finally gave up the ghost.

I value my time, and I value customer service. I pay to get my oil changed, and I pay to get my yard work done. I figure my free time is worth more to me than what money I would save by doing it myself.

Customer Service is huge with me. I will spend $2 more on a package of band-aids at my pharmacy that is about 1/2 mile from my house because of the customer service. My pharmacist knows me and my whole family by name. I walk in and Gary asks me what I need. I tell him I need ban-aids that will cover the tip of my toe, and he comes out from behind the counter gets, them the whole time asking how the family is doing. He also knows what my kids are allergic to off the top of his head. About 2 months ago he saved my daughter from a pretty nasty allergic reaction. The doctor had prescribed something she was allergic to when he faxed in the prescription. Well my pharmacist took the initiative to call the doctor and tell him my daughter was allergic to what he called for, and had an alternative waiting for me when I got there to pick it up. You think CVS or Walgrens would have done that?

Same thing with photography stuff. I go to a local camera shop where the people their actually know something about what they are selling. When I bought my wife a new digital camera for Christmas, they actually talked me down from what I thought I was going to buy her. They asked what she was going to use it for. She is a fairly serious amateur photographer, but didn't need something the would control studio lights, so while I may have paid more for the camera that I ended up buying than I would have at a box store, overall I saved about $400 by not buying a camera that had a bunch of options she didn't need. I do the same thing when I buy a TV or audio equipment.

There is a local mens store that will call me when they get a new shipment of a certain brand of shoe or sport coat, or when they go on sale. I could probably get them cheaper at the mall, but then I'd have to go to the mall, fight the crowds, and deal with some high school kid or senior citizen that didn't know what I wanted or anything about what I wanted. When I go to Harley's they greet me at the door, I don't have to wait for service, and they already know what I like and what I don't like. I can get what I want in 10-15 minutes in lieu of an hour or so.

:clap::clap::D:D:D:D:tup::doh: In other words, what he said. Well, except the bit about my kid's alergies, 'cause I don't have a kid. However, if I did...

Bingo. I can't afford the yard service yet but in principle this is exactly my point about cost benefit analysis of paying for service vs. using your own free time.

Amazing , all of us in this thread have basically made it clear we are not big fans of walmart ...amazing still how big and popular walmart is

Can this last for a long time ? Price is important but man what a horrible display of customer service and or lack of

I'm not a Wally world hater or a real big fan either but I will say this, I go in the auto service entrance; get a box of clay birds and 3 boxes of shotgun shells for under $20 and I'm on my way in 2 min. :D

And for those of you who are to busy to spend 10 minutes on your own oil change, just remember if you want it done right....

I drop the oil & filter and while she drains I do the other service, add wiper fluid, check the tire pressure, look for any problems, etc. I probably do each vehicle twice in the course of a year, so for 40 minutes to an hr. of my time a yr. I get it done right, and with quality stuff. ( and I actually enjoy being in my garage) :D

Amazing , all of us in this thread have basically made it clear we are not big fans of walmart ...amazing still how big and popular walmart is

Can this last for a long time ? Price is important but man what a horrible display of customer service and or lack of

there isnt a walmart that close to me so rarely go. but if i know what i need, cust service means nothing. i just want the best price. imho

Edited by dmarc117

For all the times I go to Walmart I NEVER need to talk to anyone that works there...I go in, get what I want/need, head to the self-checkout and go on my way knowing i saved some $$ by shopping there...I am sure their customer service does suck but I never need it...

I hate WalMart. Not because they are a corporate giant, but because their stores tend to be dirty, their merchandise tends to be cheap, and their customer service absolutely sucks.

That is true. Don't go there if you're in need of anything more complicated than finding an item yourself and paying for it.

That said, they sell their generic version of Claritin for $10 less than Safeway does. It's definitely worth the trip there for that.

Trying to stay on topic, in addition to WalMArt, don't use PepBoys.

Many years ago, they "fixed" my wife's car (was my GF at the time). As we are driving back from picking the car up, the car dies completely in the middle of the road and smoke starts coming from the hood. We pop the hood and the f'ing engine is on fire. Call 911from my cel lphone and could not get through.. was on hold for like 25 minutes. Used my wifes phone to call my parents and have them call 911 from the home. THey get through and the first responder is a police officer whp puts it out with a fire extinguisher.

Call Pep Boys, and then my wife's Sicilian side comes out. Manager says to have it towed there and they will fix it (he even mentions that he told the mechanic to be sure he made sure some wire/clip thing was moved away from the metal, so it is apparent they knew they had neglected something). My wife goes off on him and says that there is no way she wil lbring it back to them. Manager claims he can't guarantee they will pay for anything if it is not towed back to them. Wife states, and manger humbly agrees, that they will pay for her to tow it wherever she wants, and for any towing after that for additional quotes if she wants them, that they will pay for the repairs (including repainting the hood) and they will pay for a rental car. (Not fun to have her mad at you).

Anyway, since then, no way I let PepBoys do service on any car of mine.

Trying to stay on topic, in addition to WalMArt, don't use PepBoys.

Many years ago, they "fixed" my wife's car (was my GF at the time). As we are driving back from picking the car up, the car dies completely in the middle of the road and smoke starts coming from the hood. We pop the hood and the f'ing engine is on fire. Call 911from my cel lphone and could not get through.. was on hold for like 25 minutes. Used my wifes phone to call my parents and have them call 911 from the home. THey get through and the first responder is a police officer whp puts it out with a fire extinguisher.

Call Pep Boys, and then my wife's Sicilian side comes out. Manager says to have it towed there and they will fix it (he even mentions that he told the mechanic to be sure he made sure some wire/clip thing was moved away from the metal, so it is apparent they knew they had neglected something). My wife goes off on him and says that there is no way she wil lbring it back to them. Manager claims he can't guarantee they will pay for anything if it is not towed back to them. Wife states, and manger humbly agrees, that they will pay for her to tow it wherever she wants, and for any towing after that for additional quotes if she wants them, that they will pay for the repairs (including repainting the hood) and they will pay for a rental car. (Not fun to have her mad at you).

Anyway, since then, no way I let PepBoys do service on any car of mine.

Wow, all they had to do was cross-thread a lug on my car to lose my business. I will never go to pep boys for any product or service.

The Rapid oil change place that I like is right next to a Culver's restaurant. Yummy. The car is always ready by the time I'm done eating at the restaurant.

We just got a Culvers down here. Yummy indeed.

One step further, regardless of what I go to WalMart for, I'm routinely pissed that I went there. There is no product so simple and everyday or cheap that it is worth dealing with that place.

There's like 5 people in line and one cashier. Everyone, including that cashier are about as stupid as anyone you'll meet. Every customer waits until the transaction is over to even open their purse, cashier can't find the code or mis-rings at least one item per transaction.

I'd like to think that this will provide some precedent that will aid future arguments against shopping at this god forsaken hell hole.

The single thing that people tend to forget about money, is that you must always remember it's intrinsic value. People put up with anything to save a buck not mindful of what that dollar actually costs them. If I came up to you on your day off and offered you a buck to stand there for 30 minutes and let me throw a tennis ball against the back of your head, you'd tell me to piss off. SO WHY IN GOD'S NAME WOULD YOU MAKE A SPECIAL TRIP TO THIS HORRIBLE PLACE TO SAVE A BUCK ON SOAP?!?!?

lol and amen

On those rare occasions I actually decide for some insane reason it's worth it to pop in there to get whatever, and even tho I fly through there and always use the self-checkout (GB it), I feel like I'm holding my breath as I wade through a pool of sewage. Rarely is it worth it to save a buck.

I live in an upscale town, and the wal-mart there is actually pretty nice place to shop for groceries. There are hotties everywhere.

. Now the wal-Mart where my old man lives, is like going to a cross between a trailer park and ghetto.

There are certainly nice and not so nice areas where I live so there are plenty of examples of good and bad versions of the same store. The Walmarts, however, are pretty much all nasty in my area. The one I spoke of is, admittedly, in a pretty sketchy part of town, so it is likely among the worst Walmarts out there (no self checkout BTW). The target, on the other hand, seems to be cheap enough and is orders of magnitude nicer.

I live in an upscale town, and the wal-mart there is actually pretty nice place to shop for groceries. There are hotties everywhere.

. Now the wal-Mart where my old man lives, is like going to a cross between a trailer park and ghetto.

You live off Lake June Road?