[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Grilling on a porch with a screen

peepinmofo

How bad is it to grill on a screened in porch? I live in a townhouse with a screened in back porch. I could always move it in front of the door while I cook, but that seems like a hassle. Will it color the screen, or make it nasty if I just keep it in the corner on the porch and grill and let the smoke go through the screen? How long before it is noticeable?

How bad is it to grill on a screened in porch? I live in a townhouse with a screened in back porch. I could always move it in front of the door while I cook, but that seems like a hassle. Will it color the screen, or make it nasty if I just keep it in the corner on the porch and grill and let the smoke go through the screen? Yes. How long before it is noticeable? Not really sure, but you should see the grillzebo that I have over my grill.

In due time it will look really bad and I'm sure the landlord will be looking for your $$ when you decide to leave.

I AM the landlord as it is my home. I can do what I want, but if it gets really REALLY ugly, they might force me to rescreen it, and thats not gonna happen.

Potential fire hazard too, I would have thought.

Possibly, but that doesnt worry me. They call me Fire Marshall Bill (In Living Color)

"Lemme show you something!!!"

I grilled on my screened porch when I lived in an apt.

F'm.

I wouldn't do it daily, but every once in awhile isn't gonna hurt anyone.

This was sort of my thinking. It would only be maybe once a week, maybe every other week.

George Foreman baby!

I had one, but need to get a bigger one. I lost (not sure how) my smaller one.

Install a hood thru the roof and all will be fine. One of those turbine-wind-powered dealies on the top will work better.

At least that's a polocks way of doing it!

Jak się masz :D

I wouldn't do it. The fire hazard alone would make me not want to do it. You'd feel pretty bad if you set your whole house on fire just for the sake of cooking some ribs on the porch. Seriously, fires like this happen more often than you might think.

If this were a poll I'd choose Puddy. I've grilled on our screened in breezeway. Not often, mind you, but numerous times and never had a problem. It's your house, by God, and if you want to make the news that's your right! :D

Don't call the Braintree, MA fire department, though.

I would be worried about whether your homeowners insurance would cover a fire if it occurred.

I wouldn't.

That is a very good point. I would probably just get the George Foreman and grill that way. Risking your entire property in the event of a fire is not worth it IMO. Any claims adjustor will look at the originating point of the fire and your grill would give you away and I have no doubt they would deny your claim. If you have a loan with you home the lender will be asking for your loan to be paid off by you and without the insurance company to back you up and pay for the damages you may really screw yourself....

If you really want to grill out can you roll it out into the yard? :D

Edited by PSULions

That is a very good point. I would probably just get the George Foreman and grill that way. Risky your entire property in the event of a fire is not worth it IMO. Any claims adjustor will look at the originating point of the fire and your grill would give you away and I have no doubt they would deny your claim. If you have a loan with you home the lender will be asking for your loan to be paid off by you and without the insurance company to back you up and pay for the damages you may really screw yourself....

If you really want to grill out can you roll it out into the yard? :D

I can actually keep it in the garage and roll it out when I want to grill, but I was hoping to keep it on the back porch for convenience. Yeah Im not gonna risk it, so in the garage itll stay. Now I just have to BUY one. heh

I can actually keep it in the garage and roll it out when I want to grill, but I was hoping to keep it on the back porch for convenience. Yeah Im not gonna risk it, so in the garage itll stay. Now I just have to BUY one. heh

Definitely the smart thing to do. :D

Girlfriend has about a 14x7 screened porch - (gas) grill sits at a 45 degree angle in one corner. We grill on avg about twice a week, have done so for years. Screens, paint etc not affected at all. FWIW

Edited by BeeR

What state do you live in?? In some states you can't have open flames within 10 ft. of combustible construction in one or two-family structures.

Is your townhouse joined to others?

Also, you can't store propane tanks on porches or balconies. These are in the International Fire Code and if the fire department sees you using it they will ask you to move the grill.

What state do you live in?? In some states you can't have open flames within 10 ft. of combustible construction in one or two-family structures.

:D Florida

Edited by Big John

Is your townhouse joined to others?

Also, you can't store propane tanks on porches or balconies. These are in the International Fire Code and if the fire department sees you using it they will ask you to move the grill.

Florida, and they are joined to others.

Im not too concerned about the fire dept seeing it as mine definitely wouldnt be the only one. Every few homes have one on the porches, but not all are screened in.