[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Press 1 For English

spain

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just returned from Canada. All signs are posted in English and French. What's the problem ? :D

Do they have 20 million illegal beaners already in their country with hundreds of millions massing at the border ready to get in? When did the American male become so f'n weak minded? You liberals are soooooo accepting of everything and everybody. It is destroying our country. Just took a look at the liberal mecca called France!

All you liberals and gov't agencies act like Spanish is the only other language being brought to this country. Why don't they provide Chinese, Vietnamese, etc.? Those damn beeners that Spain is talking about is cornering the market on liberal Rosie O'Donnell and I for one have had it. The libs need to spread the juice a little more...

I havent clicked the song as I am sure its a cliche riddled hillbilly fest but it is kind of sad that english speaking Americans no matter what their original origins are becoming more and more passive about people livin here learning the language

There are plenty of reasons not to be passive about people living here learning English. Redneck Rosie O'Donnell whining about pressing 1 for English doesn't get much sympathy from me. :D

Do they have 20 million illegal beaners already in their country with hundreds of millions massing at the border ready to get in? When did the American male become so f'n weak minded? You liberals are soooooo accepting of everything and everybody. It is destroying our country. Just took a look at the liberal mecca called France!

:D for sure.

That should be illegal! And I speak both redneck and Spanish!

Fixed!

You and the babe in the video talk funny. I couldn't understand a word of it. Please translate. Your typing ain't too bad. :D

There are plenty of reasons not to be passive about people living here learning English. Redneck Rosie O'Donnell whining about pressing 1 for English doesn't get much sympathy from me. :D

The message is delivered in a corny way that probably works against their "cause". I truly feel that people that come here and enjoy the freedom and opportunity our country offers should at least learn the language. Like Ursa said will pressing 1 ruin my day, of course not, but its the principle. Some people that come here whether legally or illegally dont make any attempt at all to learn the language and instead of forcing the issue we seem to accomodate and enable.

Don't like it?

Don't do business with places that offer the option on their voicemail menu, and let them know WHY you are not patronizing their store (or whatever) anymore.

Of course, the business will probably be more concerned about the dollars in the hands of hundreds of millions of beaners as opposed to whatever you are able to spend, but hey, that's capitalism for ya, best economic system in world history, I'm told.

The message is delivered in a corny way that probably works against their "cause". I truly feel that people that come here and enjoy the freedom and opportunity our country offers should at least learn the language. Like Ursa said will pressing 1 ruin my day, of course not, but its the principle. Some people that come here whether legally or illegally dont make any attempt at all to learn the language and instead of forcing the issue we seem to accomodate and enable.

I think you'll find that historically, second generations have learned English just fine. First generations tend not to. Check out the Italians, Russians, etc, etc.

I think you'll find that historically, second generations have learned English just fine. First generations tend not to. Check out the Italians, Russians, etc, etc.

Really? You got a link to back that up?

Bottom line, these people come to our country for a better life... great. If we moved to their country - for whatever reason - I can guarantee you we'd have to learn their language or we'd be chit outta luck. And yet, they move here, and we're forced to learn THEIR language? OK maybe not forced, but how many drive-thru orders are screwwed up because the person on the other end of the speaker didn't understand you (or vice versa). How many times are qualified applicants passed over because they don't speak Spanish? It happens all the time in California, and I'm getting the feeling it happens in Texas too. Maybe it's a regional thing but it's pretty damn annoying and to be perfectly honest, unfair.

Edit to add: F'in liberals! (always wanted to say that...)

Edited by darin3

Really? You got a link to back that up?

Bottom line, these people come to our country for a better life... great. If we moved to their country - for whatever reason - I can guarantee you we'd have to learn their language or we'd be chit outta luck. And yet, they move here, and we're forced to learn THEIR language? OK maybe not forced, but how many drive-thru orders are screwwed up because the person on the other end of the speaker didn't understand you (or vice versa). How many times are qualified applicants passed over because they don't speak Spanish? It happens all the time in California, and I'm getting the feeling it happens in Texas too. Maybe it's a regional thing but it's pretty damn annoying and to be perfectly honest, unfair.

Edit to add: F'in liberals! (always wanted to say that...)

Here's a handy dandy chart (scroll down for the chart) showing how quickly the native language is dropped as immigrant generations pass. You will see that as people establish in the US, they learn the language, even to the exclusion of the language of their parents.

Yer making a lot of fuss over f*ck all - and get out of yer car at the fast food joint.

F'n lazy Californians! (always wanted to say that...)

:D Yep, that will do.

Just the other day, I saw a my grandfathers birth certificate from 1906. It was in German. Those dam immigants! It's been over a hundred years and they still haven't learned.

We dont have 20 million illegal krauts in this country with another 100 million ready to invade. Apples and oranges lefties! Apples and oranges...

Here's a handy dandy chart (scroll down for the chart) showing how quickly the native language is dropped as immigrant generations pass. You will see that as people establish in the US, they learn the language, even to the exclusion of the language of their parents.

Yer making a lot of fuss over f*ck all - and get out of yer car at the fast food joint.

F'n lazy Californians! (always wanted to say that...)

Oh, so they can f*ck up my order inside the restaurant? And of course you ignore the more salient part of my argument: the REQUIREMENT of being a Spanish speaker in many jobs nowadays.

Oh, so they can f*ck up my order inside the restaurant? And of course you ignore the more salient part of my argument: the REQUIREMENT of being a Spanish speaker in many jobs nowadays.

To do what? Work with people that don't speak English? Hardly surprising. How many jobs require English? Pretty much all of them that have worthwhile wages attached. Like I said, anyone here who doesn't learn English is condemning themselves to a stunted career. Second and third generations will speak English just fine.

BTW, I do agree with Arnie when he told immigrants they need to learn the language - they do.

To do what? Work with people that don't speak English? Hardly surprising. How many jobs require English? Pretty much all of them that have worthwhile wages attached. Like I said, anyone here who doesn't learn English is condemning themselves to a stunted career. Second and third generations will speak English just fine.

BTW, I do agree with Arnie when he told immigrants they need to learn the language - they do.

That's great that the second and third generations are learning English, as they should. But the first generations should learn English too, just like they did in decades past.

And are you f'in kiddin' me about the work issue? Employers are asking for bilingual applicants because the Spanish-speakers are too lazy and have a ridiculous sense of entitlement and refuse to learn English.

Edited by darin3

That's great that the second and third generations are learning English, as they should. But the first generations should learn English too, just like they did in decades past.

But they generally didn't learn English - they tended to live in enclaves and ghettos where their native language ruled. It was their kids that broke out. My city has a whole raft of first generation Russians and the older ones only speak Russian. The younger ones are bilingual.

The real difference is that the host country didn't do anything to accommodate people who didn't speak English back in the day - now we do. However, like I said, there are good commercial and administrative reasons to do so.

But they generally didn't learn English - they tended to live in enclaves and ghettos where their native language ruled. It was their kids that broke out. My city has a whole raft of first generation Russians and the older ones only speak Russian. The younger ones are bilingual.

The real difference is that the host country didn't do anything to accommodate people who didn't speak English back in the day - now we do. However, like I said, there are good commercial and administrative reasons to do so.

Generally... generally...

I dunno. My immigrant relatives learned English. They didn't ignore where they were from.. but they certainly learned English.

My best friend's parents, fresh off the boat from Italy, learned English.

You're failing to see my point, by the way. Immigrants from many countries, right off the bat, make an attempt at learning English. It's only CERTAIN IMMIGRANT GROUPS that do not. And we're facilitating their reluctance (or refusal) to learn the language. Ridiculous.

They need to learn english first and foremost , for extra credit they need to learn the english spoken in the deep south

If companies do not offer spanish as an option on the phone line , it wouild force them to learn faster or be out of luck

And are you f'in kiddin' me about the work issue? Employers are asking for bilingual applicants because the Spanish-speakers are too lazy and have a ridiculous sense of entitlement and refuse to learn English.

As has been mentioned time and again, first generations were no more inclined to learn english before. It really isn't all that different now. If you learn English, your chances of thriving go up a ton. If you don't you hang within your neighborhood and support a cottage industry of bilingual people who help you with your taxes, etc. and risk being taken advantage of.

I employ a number of people who's first language is not English. My policy at work is that they speak to me in English as much as possible. However, they work for me because they are dedicated, hard working, and reliable. It is fiscally irresponsible for me to trade those in for somebody who may not be as good at the job but happens to speak better English. I know enough Spanish to get most points across and my sous chef (not a native English speaker who has risen to that position in part because he's learned a lot of English) takes care of the rest.

Trust me, those who don't speak much English are not being "coddled". They're stuck in the back washing dishes (yes, and listening to REM) and they pretty much stay back there until they can communicate enough to be able to function on the line.

If you want to be pissed because people are given the tools to survive in the US despite not speaking English, so be it. I think it's a lame stance, but you are welcome to it. However, for the love of god. Please get over the "once upon a time" bit because it simply does not hold any water at all.

Edited by detlef

I don't know ...when my parents came here from italy in the early 60's they had to speak english to make a living and support a family ..I do not believe this is the case now and we do in fact coddle those who do not speak english ..imo