[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Garnett traded?

BillyBalata

I agree KG and Ray have a lot more in the tank. I was thinking of it more from the standpoint of three guys that are used to being "the guy" now sharing the ball and how the egos will mesh. Sometimes it works. Sometimes it doesn't.

Don't know about Pierce but KG and Ray will easily be able to make their egos secondary to the team. KG is the hardest working athlete in sports and also no dummy - he wants a ring and will do whatever it takes to get one.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Paul Pierce is one of the most durable players in the NBA. It will be pretty cool to see these three guys play together. I am not sure how Ray Allen will do though. He tore it up last year but his ankles are shot.

Boston wouldn't make this move if they knew Garnett is going to walk. They just wouldn't and that already has been reported.

If I am a Timberwolves fan, I am loving this. You guys are robbing the Celtics! :D Minnesota has set themselves up well for the future.

Celtics will be a top five team in the east, but that doesn't say that much. Who knows how stars likes these play together these days.

Minnesota got all 5 players AND 2 first round picks? :D

Yup.....but one of the 1st was from Minn that we got in the Ricky Davis Deal

Yup.....but one of the 1st was from Minn that we got in the Ricky Davis Deal

Agreed but now we can actually draft again - we owe the Clippers a conditional first rounder too from a previous catastrophic trade. Having these two picks will enable us to pay off our debt much quicker.

Exactly. The Celts were in tank mode last year tyring to get the #1 pick. The injury had nothing to do with Pierce missing time. If you watched any of their games, he was also riding the pine in the fourth quarter when the game was still very much in question.

Well, while I am usually quick to talk about the bad luck the C's have had in the last 20 years, it's tough to say anything but that they got what they deserved in the lottery this year. Yes, as a long time C's fan I would have liked to see a #1 or #2 selection, but I imagine that justice was served by the fact that they got the 5th pick.

Well, while I am usually quick to talk about the bad luck the C's have had in the last 20 years, it's tough to say anything but that they got what they deserved in the lottery this year. Yes, as a long time C's fan I would have liked to see a #1 or #2 selection, but I imagine that justice was served by the fact that they got the 5th pick.

And rapidly got rid of it too.

Hey Sarge, sorry to burst your bubble but...

The Boston Herald reported on its Web site Tuesday that Garnett has agreed to a three-year extension with the Celtics, in addition to the two years left on contract, which would keep him in Boston through the 2011-12 season.

Edited by Goopster24

Hey Sarge, sorry to burst your bubble but...

The Boston Herald reported on its Web site Tuesday that Garnett has agreed to a three-year extension with the Celtics, in addition to the two years left on contract, which would keep him in Boston through the 2011-12 season.

Be careful Goopster, if you put Sarge in his place for the idiot he is he will ignore you. :D

Be careful Goopster, if you put Sarge in his place for the idiot he is he will ignore you. :D

Haha, don't worry. Sarge and I go way back. It's all about respect and I have plenty for him.

Edited by Goopster24

Back to the topic...

So the Celtics trade

Jefferson

Ratliff

Gomes

Green

Telfair

Delonte West

#5 Pick

Hopefully a late 20's 1st round pick

Minny's pick back

for

Kevin Garnett

Ray Allen

Glenn Davis

I love Jefferson but he and the #5 pick are the only thing that would be considered "good" that the Celtics traded away. Gomes and West are decent end of the bench players and Green has a long long way to go. Telfair was going to be cut, the Celtics first rounder should be late and it was doubtful the they would actually get a first rounder from the TWolves because of the stipulations in the deal it would most likely turn into a 2nd.

So basically they get back 2 All Stars (one being a top 5 player in the league) for Jefferson, picks and some spare parts.

Hooray for Danny Ainge. Never thought I would say that but he had a great offseason. Anyone who says the Celtics morgated the future to win now has to ask themselves...What future? Now they have a legit shot to go deep in the playoffs.

Back to the topic...

So the Celtics trade

Jefferson

Ratliff

Gomes

Green

Telfair

Delonte West

#5 Pick

Hopefully a late 20's 1st round pick

Minny's pick back

for

Kevin Garnett

Ray Allen

Glenn Davis

I love Jefferson but he and the #5 pick are the only thing that would be considered "good" that the Celtics traded away. Gomes and West are decent end of the bench players and Green has a long long way to go. Telfair was going to be cut, the Celtics first rounder should be late and it was doubtful the they would actually get a first rounder from the TWolves because of the stipulations in the deal it would most likely turn into a 2nd.

So basically they get back 2 All Stars (one being a top 5 player in the league) for Jefferson, picks and some spare parts.

Hooray for Danny Ainge. Never thought I would say that but he had a great offseason. Anyone who says the Celtics morgated the future to win now has to ask themselves...What future? Now they have a legit shot to go deep in the playoffs.

It's another one of those deals that if they don't win a championship, it will be looked at as a failure.

And I am curious to know what you mean when you say "What future?" Jefferson is great as I am sure you know and will be a force long beyond Garnett retires. Green does have a way to go but the guy has the potential to become a star. And two first round draft picks? Ask the Pacers or Knicks how trading away first round picks have done for them.

Edited by Goopster24

It's another one of those deals that if they don't win a championchip, it will be looked at as a failure.

:D Whatever they decided to do, if they don't win a championship it would be considered a failure.

This just in: Water is wet. And at 11, the sky is blue.

It's another one of those deals that if they don't win a championchip, it will be looked at as a failure.

And I am curious to know what you mean when you say "What future?" Jefferson is great as I am sure you know and will be a force long beyond Garnett retires. Green does have a way to go but the guy has the potential to become a star. And two first round draft picks? Ask the Pacers or Knicks how trading away first round picks have done for them.

Well as much as I love Jefferson he could only dream of being 3/4 as good as Garnett. He plays very little defense. He has nice rebound totals but his man to man leaves a lot to be desired. That said he will be an All-Star for the TWolves.

Green on this team has no place. He backs up Allen and Pierce and if Tony Allen is healthy he will actually be behind Allen on the sub list. I know a lot of Celtic fans who think he could become an All-Star but I just never saw it in him. Granted that was a very short time to make that decision but I have zero problem with them moving Green.

And as far as youth, I feel they still have two of the three best young players left on the team.

1. Al Jefferson

2. Rashon Rondo

3. Tony Allen

4. Gerald Green

Rondo and Allen both play very good defense and in Rondo's case it is near elite defense.

I do agree giving up Jefferson sucks but you have to give a lot to get someone like KG.

:D Whatever they decided to do, if they don't win a championship it would be considered a failure.

This just in: Water is wet. And at 11, the sky is blue.

Not at all. Did you expect the team they had before Garnett to win a championship? No. Now trading away all of their best assets in Green, Jefferson, and draft picks, if they don't win, they are setting themselves up for more low years down the line.

Not at all. Did you expect the team they had before Garnett to win a championship? No. Now trading away all of their best assets in Green, Jefferson, and draft picks, if they don't win, they are setting themselves up for more low years down the line.

It is a gamble to make a run at it now. But what would you be hoping from a youth movement? To be a legit contender in the East right? Well that is what they are now. It is reality not a dream of what the kids might turn into. I could only hope Jefferson, Green and whoever they would have picked at #5 could turn into as good of a team as Pierce, Garnett and Allen should be.

Ha ve you been a Celtics fan for a long time? Are you one?

Year after year, there is really only one goal on Boston Celtics Basketball....to win an NBA Championship. My disappointment exists in what ever moves they make that do not bring them closer to that goal. And that is the way it is out here.

Year after year, there is really only one goal on Boston Celtics Basketball....to win an NBA Championship. My disappointment exists in what ever moves they make that do not bring them closer to that goal. And that is the way it is out here.

no offense, but 3 players and a cloud of dust isnt going to get it done. If Tony Allen is 100%, and Pierce and Allen can play up to their potential, this team makes the playoffs. If not, they certainly dont. The east is inferior to the west, but there are still several legit teams in the East. Id take Dwight Howard over Garnett and R Lewis over Pierce in a second. Throw in Hedu, and J Nelson and a few other pieces, and Orlando is going to improve big time. Toronto was the #2 seed, and Garnett cant cover Bosh. I think everyone is over looking some solid teams. Washington is going to be back. Jamison, Butler, Agent 0, that is a team that will outscore Boston on many of occasions. Then you have the usual suspects, Miami with a healthy wade, Detroit, Cleveland, and New Jersey. The East isnt as loaded, but Boston doesnt have much around those 3, to take the pressure off. And does anyone think if any of the 3 get in foul trouble, they are winning a game. What about when they have to rest 2 at the same time. On paper it looks nice, but reality is, Boston doesnt even have a legit NBA calibur starting 5.

no offense, but 3 players and a cloud of dust isnt going to get it done. If Tony Allen is 100%, and Pierce and Allen can play up to their potential, this team makes the playoffs. If not, they certainly dont. The east is inferior to the west, but there are still several legit teams in the East. Id take Dwight Howard over Garnett and R Lewis over Pierce in a second. Throw in Hedu, and J Nelson and a few other pieces, and Orlando is going to improve big time. Toronto was the #2 seed, and Garnett cant cover Bosh. I think everyone is over looking some solid teams. Washington is going to be back. Jamison, Butler, Agent 0, that is a team that will outscore Boston on many of occasions. Then you have the usual suspects, Miami with a healthy wade, Detroit, Cleveland, and New Jersey. The East isnt as loaded, but Boston doesnt have much around those 3, to take the pressure off. And does anyone think if any of the 3 get in foul trouble, they are winning a game. What about when they have to rest 2 at the same time. On paper it looks nice, but reality is, Boston doesnt even have a legit NBA calibur starting 5.

Not to be an ass... :D ...but where does Chicago fit in on your list. They got a HUGH center in the draft and a high motor rebounder/defender in Noah. I think the Bulls win the central and compete for the 1st seed this year.....especially if Deng gets better and Noc stays healthy.

****edited to cahnge HUGE to HUGH.....I forgot the rule!!!****

Edited by TheShiznit

Not to be an ass... :D ...but where does Chicago fit in on your list. They got a HUGH center in the draft and a high motor rebounder/defender in Noah. I think the Bulls win the central and compete for the 1st seed this year.....especially if Deng gets better and Noc stays healthy.

be an ass to Private Ryan all you want........ yes, any discussion of the Leastern conference has to include Chicago- who has the best young pieces of any team, and I would put them at #1 or #2 for next season.

Exactly. One more team Boston isnt better than. Thanks for helping prove my point. :D

None taken. It's all just speculation at this point anyways. I expect the team to make some noise. I dunno of they wil make the finals, but I think they have a better shot at it now than they did last week :D

Garnett couldnt even get the Wolves in the playoffs

Um....yeah, he did, eight times in a row in fact. It wasn't Garnett that failed these last three years, it was the idiot Taylor and his idiot McHale. The one time Taylor supplied a worthy partner for KG (Csssells and to a lesser extent Sprewell), the T-Wolves made the Conference Finals, losing in 6 to an extraordinarily good Lakers team. If Cassells hadn't been hobbled in the playoffs, that team was going all the way.

Basketball is a five man game (or 12 man game), not a one man game. You put Dirk on last season's T-Wolves instead of Garnett and they're still not making the playoffs.

It is a gamble to make a run at it now. But what would you be hoping from a youth movement? To be a legit contender in the East right? Well that is what they are now. It is reality not a dream of what the kids might turn into. I could only hope Jefferson, Green and whoever they would have picked at #5 could turn into as good of a team as Pierce, Garnett and Allen should be.

No, I am a Chicago Bulls fan so I know something about championships as well. Every team’s goal is to win an NBA championship every year but obviously that isn’t realistic sometimes. It wasn’t realistic really with the Celtics last year.

This deal definitely makes them a contender but at what cost? If they don’t win, then they are further hurting their future. Look at the Bulls. Paxson hasn’t mortgaged his young talent for one superstar. Fans and the media have been crying to Paxson to go after Garnett for the longest time but he liked his core. Now that is a debatable blueprint, one that is yet to show a championship, but they have gotten better each year recently.

What Sarge says is dead on. Washington is the perfect example of an awesome trio. If Butler, Jamison, and Arenas were all healthy, they would have had a higher seed and done some damage in the playoffs. That said, they had NO ONE else.

Um....yeah, he did, eight times in a row in fact. It wasn't Garnett that failed these last three years, it was the idiot Taylor and his idiot McHale. The one time Taylor supplied a worthy partner for KG (Csssells and to a lesser extent Sprewell), the T-Wolves made the Conference Finals, losing in 6 to an extraordinarily good Lakers team. If Cassells hadn't been hobbled in the playoffs, that team was going all the way.

Basketball is a five man game (or 12 man game), not a one man game. You put Dirk on last season's T-Wolves instead of Garnett and they're still not making the playoffs.

Ursa is right, they should have gone to the Finals that year when they lost to the Lakers. Garnett has done all he can and he has proven he is a top 5 player, maybe top 3.