[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Last Nights Game

It was very refreshing to see a team come out and treat this like a real game. Pittsburgh brought it. Big Ben came out throwing down the field. Cedric Wilson was all over the place. The Defense came out blitzing. They looked sharp on both sides of the ball. NO could do nothing. They looked like Deer in the headlights. Tomlin looks like he means business and the players look they are buying into their system. I know its only preseason but is so nice to see a team play to win, not play to stay healthy. They were definitely not Vanilla last night. Maybe some other teams will follow suit. Even the 2nd and third sting teams were throwing downfield. :D

It was very refreshing to see a team come out and treat this like a real game. Pittsburgh brought it. Big Ben came out throwing down the field. Cedric Wilson was all over the place. The Defense came out blitzing. They looked sharp on both sides of the ball. NO could do nothing. They looked like Deer in the headlights. Tomlin looks like he means business and the players look they are buying into their system. I know its only preseason but is so nice to see a team play to win, not play to stay healthy. They were definitely not Vanilla last night. Maybe some other teams will follow suit. Even the 2nd and third sting teams were throwing downfield. :D

::D

Well, through the years, I have learned to never get too excited or disappointed over pre-season games. Two years ago, the Steelers were terrible in the pre-season and Roethlisberger couldn't complete a pass. He played like garbage and everyone was writing him off. He had monster games to start the season and the Steelers ended up winning the Super Bowl.

However, all that said, I would still rather see my team play well than play poorly. Being that it was their first game under Tomlin, I took a bit of a harder look at this one than usual, and I was quite pleased. The Steelers played very hard throughout the game. That was very good to see.

Positives:

Ben looked great in his only series

Cedric Wilson & Santonio Holmes both played very well

The offense was mixing things up from play to play, which was nice to see

Carey Davis & Gary Russell both looked hungry and ran the ball hard and well

Lamar Woodley looked impressive and is going to be a big-time contributor in his rookie season

The first string secondary looked fantastic, giving Brees very little room to connect due to their tight coverage

Negatives:

-The offensive line is still my biggest area of concern. They weren't terrible, and their two best lineman (Smith & Faneca) only played one series, but, their is lots of room for improvement on the O-Line. Problems on the O-Line will kill this and any offense.

- I was expecting more targets for the Tight Ends. Maybe that will come in time, but, I think it is something the Steelers need to do.

- Reid looked shaky on punt returns

- I wasn't blown away by Sepulvuda's punts like I expected to be

- Nate Washington needs to learn how to catch the ball. He is talented and gets open, but, his hands are suspect.

All in all, I'm quite pleased, but, like I said, I've learned to never get too excited over a pre-season game.

Edited by Menudo

Negatives:

-The offensive line is still my biggest area of concern. They weren't terrible, and their two best lineman (Smith & Faneca) only played one series, but, their is lots of room for improvement on the O-Line. Problems on the O-Line will kill this and any offense.- I was expecting more targets for the Tight Ends. Maybe that will come in time, but, I think it is something the Steelers need to do.

- Nate Washington needs to learn how to catch the ball. He is talented and gets open, but, his hands are suspect.

All in all, I'm quite pleased, but, like I said, I've learned to never get too excited over a pre-season game.

Hmmm...is this why you didn't take FWP in Ladder All-Pro? :D

Reality: The new Steelers head coach wanted to come out guns a blazing, and the Saints just wanted to get through it without any injuries.

Mission accomplished on both ends.

End of story.

Well, through the years, I have learned to never get too excited or disappointed over pre-season games. Two years ago, the Steelers were terrible in the pre-season and Roethlisberger couldn't complete a pass. He played like garbage and everyone was writing him off. He had monster games to start the season and the Steelers ended up winning the Super Bowl.

However, all that said, I would still rather see my team play well than play poorly. Being that it was their first game under Tomlin, I took a bit of a harder look at this one than usual, and I was quite pleased. The Steelers played very hard throughout the game. That was very good to see.

Positives:

Ben looked great in his only series

Cedric Wilson & Santonio Holmes both played very well

The offense was mixing things up from play to play, which was nice to see

Carey Davis & Fred Russell both looked hungry and ran the ball hard and well

Lamar Woodley looked impressive and is going to be a big-time contributor in his rookie season

The first string secondary looked fantastic, giving Brees very little room to connect due to their tight coverage

Negatives:

-The offensive line is still my biggest area of concern. They weren't terrible, and their two best lineman (Smith & Faneca) only played one series, but, their is lots of room for improvement on the O-Line. Problems on the O-Line will kill this and any offense.

- I was expecting more targets for the Tight Ends. Maybe that will come in time, but, I think it is something the Steelers need to do.

And yet, this post exists.... evaluating the punter and third string RBs. :D

Last year Oakland went 4-1 & the Saints went 1-4. Anybody who thinks this game means anything at all about how well either team will do during the season needs to get a reality check.

Yeah, the Stillers are screwwed 'cuz their rookie punter didn't blow Menudo away. :D

And yet, this post exists.... evaluating the punter and third string RBs. :D

:D

I guess have should have re-worded it............ I don't get too excited by the end results of pre-season games.

However, I still won't miss a play of Steelers games, pre-season or not, and evaluating the Punters and 3rd string backs are exactly what these games are for...... :wacko:

I will add that I would love to see Mike Tomlin succeed as a head coach...they guy is very likable...

when asked about the pressure of following Bill Cowher he responded that pressure is trying to feed a family living check to check...he "get's" it...and he has a great enthusiasm for the game...

wish the Vikes would have kept him and gotten rid of Chili...shades of Dungy all over again...

I watch the games and try to see how it affects public opinion on some of the players. My local leaguers don't play 5+ FF leagues like most of you guys so I could probably snatch Brees a little later if I were drafting today. Its funny how fickel people get but I figure I might as well try to use it to my advantage. I just hope Ben's good preseason doesn't boost his ranking much (I want to snag him late as #2QB).

Last year Oakland went 4-1 & the Saints went 1-4. Anybody who thinks this game means anything at all about how well either team will do during the season needs to get a reality check.

steelers first team dominated as did there secound and third string that does mean something