[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Atlanta Passing Attack - Say What?

DeezNuts

Ever since the Vick mess began I really started paying attention to the Atlanta cast of wide receivers... why you ask? Because at this point, none of us really know if any of these guys outside of Crumpler can do anything... with a change at QB anything could happen, even with Harrington. Not saying that Harrington is a great option yet but I have really been paying close attention to both him and the receivers throughout this pre-season and they really seem to be clicking. Not only has he looked more accurate than normal but he seems to be a bit more focused making quicker and better reads. I am not sure who the starters will be for sure but I drafted Jenkins and then after keeping track of ATL WR pre-season targets myself, I decided to drop Jenkins and gamble on Roddy White as he seemed be getting the majority of the looks. Regardless, it looks like they are going to be in a lot of 3 WR sets, with Jenkins, White, and Horn and I have to believe one of them is going to step up big. Any thoughts?

Edited by DeezNuts

Not saying that Harrington is a great option yet but I have really been paying close attention to both him and the receivers throughout this pre-season and they really seem to be clicking. Not only has he looked more accurate than normal but he seems to be a bit more focused making quicker and better reads.

Now, this may sound crazy, but maybe Harrington is receiving BETTER COACHING than he got in Detroit?

Don't let the yoopers hear you talking poorly about Mooch.

Anyway, all that aside, there were rumbling that Garcia was Mooch's guy and he lost no opportunity to undercut Harrington's standing with the team.

If true, that sorta chucks Mooch's "nicest guy coaching" rep right out the f'in window. Or maybe the Millen Stupid Virus passed over to him temporarily.

Anyway, all that aside, there were rumbling that Garcia was Mooch's guy and he lost no opportunity to undercut Harrington's standing with the team.

If true, that sorta chucks Mooch's "nicest guy coaching" rep right out the f'in window. Or maybe the Millen Stupid Virus passed over to him temporarily.

Garcia was his guy. He had no problem undercutting Harrington to benefit Garcia.

Garcia was his guy. He had no problem undercutting Harrington to benefit Garcia.

I'll assume you'd agree that the head coach stabbing you in the back at every opportunity would, in most cases, hinder the development of a young QB?

ummm.... Jeff Garcia is cool and all but any thoughts about the Atlanta wide receivers or Harrington(ATL version)? :D

They have looked pretty good in Petrino's system. Harrington made many good throws and showed good touch downfield. There were too many drops so he should go to Crumpler more. Once he was open but then double covered later in the Bengals game.

I haven't seen him go to Joe Horn much, but it was the pre season; anything can happen now. Joey will face more pressure and I wonder how he'll respond.

I'll assume you'd agree that the head coach stabbing you in the back at every opportunity would, in most cases, hinder the development of a young QB?

Yup. Joey handled himself as well as one could hope. I would love to see him as Comeback Player of the Year. Detroit's problems were bigger than one QB could solve. I think this year will be much better, but I've been saying that for awhile.

:D

ummm.... Jeff Garcia is cool and all but any thoughts about the Atlanta wide receivers or Harrington(ATL version)? :D

Discussing factors that contributed to Harrington's failure in Detroit IS discussing Harrington, you moron.

My thoughts on Atl WRs? They stink on ice - except for Horn, who qualifies for social security. If Petrino can make this crew into something resembling a legit NFL passing offense, he is making chicken salad out of chicken mess.

I think that Joey will be a good fit in this system. He never fit the West Coast Offense. If the Falcons fail this year, it won't be because of Joey.

I don't know... it seems to me that on the rare occassion I have seen a football thrown in the vicinity of an Atlanta WR, they come up with a case of the dropsies more often than with a reception. Keeping my eyes on Laurent Robinson though. They've been looking for a go-to guy for a while now... it might be him if given the chance.

I don't know... it seems to me that on the rare occassion I have seen a football thrown in the vicinity of an Atlanta WR, they come up with a case of the dropsies more often than with a reception. Keeping my eyes on Laurent Robinson though. They've been looking for a go-to guy for a while now... it might be him if given the chance.

This makes the Vikes/Falcons the battle of the dropsies. Get your tickets! There going fast! :D

Harrington is a stiff. He couldn't stick with Detroit or Miami. I acknowledge that the Dolphins aren't the savviest of teams, but they liked Cleo f'n Lemon better than Harrington. The guy makes bad decisions. He couldn't lead a dog on a leash.

Now Harringington goes to a running team with suspect WRs. I think that you are :D if you expect anything out of him except continued medicority, at best.

:D

Edited by Furd

I think the drops in Atlanta were from wides being surprised that the ball got to them. They were likely caught looking for a block so their QB didn't break in half when hit.

I don't know if any of us knows what Atlanta's wides are capible of.

Harrington though lacks leadership and a killer instinct. He reminds me of Eli. Maybe it was from Mooch. Maybe it was simply from being in Detriot and his time in Miami was not the type of situation that was going to build confidence.

Whatever the case, I am curious.

I'd be thrilled if a mary (maybe not, as stated above) was able to take the team to places that the most exciting QB in the game could not.

Regardless, it looks like they are going to be in a lot of 3 WR sets, with Jenkins, White, and Horn and I have to believe one of them is going to step up big. Any thoughts?

I don't think they're a sleeper O or White or Jenkins or Horn will suddenly become FF startable.

I think numbers will improve across the board but only because they will be passing about 33% more than previous years. Because of this shift, the ground game will suffer AND they will find themselves behind in games more than often resulting in even more passing.

I don't see any significant jump in measures of efficiency (completion %, passer rating etc.). An increase in stats will be because the gameplan (Petrino's stated goals) and game situations (trailing in the 3rd/4th quarters) calls for more passing.

It will be a completely different Atlanta O for sure. But I wouldn't confuse completely different with lots of consistent passing/receiving FF points. The baseline for Atlanta's passing game is so low (~170yds/g, ~55% comp) that even if they improve to, say about, 20th in a few major passing categories. It's an improvement but won't make Harrington or the Falcons WRs FF starters. For example, in '06 the Browns were 20th in the league based on pass yds/g. The Skins and Phins were 21st and 22nd in completion %.

I think the drops in Atlanta were from wides being surprised that the ball got to them. They were likely caught looking for a block so their QB didn't break in half when hit.

I don't know if any of us knows what Atlanta's wides are capible of.

Harrington though lacks leadership and a killer instinct. He reminds me of Eli. Maybe it was from Mooch. Maybe it was simply from being in Detriot and his time in Miami was not the type of situation that was going to build confidence.

Whatever the case, I am curious.

I'd be thrilled if a mary (maybe not, as stated above) was able to take the team to places that the most exciting QB in the game could not.

+1

I don't think they're a sleeper O or White or Jenkins or Horn will suddenly become FF startable.

I think numbers will improve across the board but only because they will be passing about 33% more than previous years. Because of this shift, the ground game will suffer AND they will find themselves behind in games more than often resulting in even more passing.

I don't see any significant jump in measures of efficiency (completion %, passer rating etc.). An increase in stats will be because the gameplan (Petrino's stated goals) and game situations (trailing in the 3rd/4th quarters) calls for more passing.

It will be a completely different Atlanta O for sure. But I wouldn't confuse completely different with lots of consistent passing/receiving FF points. The baseline for Atlanta's passing game is so low (~170yds/g, ~55% comp) that even if they improve to, say about, 20th in a few major passing categories. It's an improvement but won't make Harrington or the Falcons WRs FF starters. For example, in '06 the Browns were 20th in the league based on pass yds/g. The Skins and Phins were 21st and 22nd in completion %.

With a new QB, a new head coach and new offense (Harrington is not Vick) I wonder what you are basing this off of. Now, I am not saying we've the same situation here - but I am going to bring up the Saints. Out with the dumb-as-shi-t-mobile QB - in with the highly drafted but slow to develop - not so great arm, game managing QB. Out with the old coach in with the new.

I am not saying that this team will be NO... I am just saying that it is just as possible as them staying status quo.

I am not saying that this team will be NO... I am just saying that it is just as possible as them staying status quo.

It won't be status quo. I don't think they'll be NO either. Maybe from worst pass O to better than worst but still crappy.

I'm basing this off of what Petrino has said and what they did in the preseason. Petrino has said he wants 30-35 pass attempts per game. Atlanta averaged 26 attempts in '06

In '06, ATL had a 5.7 ypa. Assume this efficiency, or ineffeciency, continues. Also assume in '07 they average 33 attempts per game (this would be middle of the road in the NFL, 528 attempts)... that's 3009 pass yards which, again, puts them right around 20th-22nd in pass yards.

I think 33 attempts is VERY conservative because this is the stated goal BEFORE they have to go pass whacky in the 4th quarter of games they're trailing.

Anyways, it's not good but not the WORST in the league.