[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Fantasy Implications of Pats vs. Jets?

Ironpenguins

So I have a question for everyone, if the league decides to punish the Patriots for cheating against the Jets by making them forfeit the win, what happens to the fantasy points those players had that week? Take away Brady, Moss, kicker, and defense, well the outcome of several games would change.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Vince

So I have a question for everyone, if the league decides to punish the Patriots for cheating against the Jets by making them forfeit the win, what happens to the fantasy points those players had that week? Take away Brady, Moss, kicker, and defense, well the outcome of several games would change.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Vince

wont happen they will loose some draft picks

With todays Tech sector and an unlimited budget? How do you get caught? I just don't understand? I think Magini knew it was going on and identified the guy or told his staff or tipped the NFL off, He used to part of his Pat's :D staff..........Just kinda Twisted............Conspiracy stuff..........

I don't think a forfeit is a possibility, but if it were I think the stats and score stay intact, just Jets get the W and Pats the L.

The score would become 2-0 if the commish inviked a forfeit.

:D

AUTHORITY OF COMMISSIONER'S OFFICE

1. Authority to cancel, postpone, or terminate games is vested only in the Commissioner and the League President (other League office representatives and referees may suspend play temporarily; see point No. 3 under this section and point No. 1 under "Authority of Referee" below). The following definitions apply:

Cancel: To cancel a game is to nullify it either before or after it begins and to make no provision for rescheduling it or for including its score or other performance statistics in League records.

Postpone: To postpone a game is (a) to defer its starting time to a later date, or (:D to suspend it after play has begun and to make provision to resume at a later date with all scores and other performance statistics up to the point of postponement added to those achieved in the resumed portion of the game.

Terminate: To terminate a game is to end it short of a full 60 minutes of play, to record it officially as a completed game, and to make no provision to resume it at a later date. The Commissioner or League President may terminate a game in an emergency if, in his opinion, it is reasonable to project that its resumption (a) would not change its ultimate result or (:wacko: would not adversely affect any other interteam competitive issue.

Forfeit: The Commissioner, (except in cases of disciplinary action; see last section on "Removing Team from Field"), League President, and their representatives, including referees, are not authorized unilaterally to declare forfeits. A forfeit occurs only when a game is not played because of the failure or refusal of one team to participate. In that event, the other team, if ready and willing to play, is the winner by a score of 2-0.

UNFAIR ACTS

Commissioner's authority

The Commissioner has sole authority to investigate and to take appropriate disciplinary or corrective measures if any club action, nonparticipant interference, or emergency occurs in an NFL game which he deems so unfair or outside the accepted tactics encountered in professional football that such action has a major effect on the result of a game.

No club protests

The authority and measures provided for in this section (UNFAIR ACTS) do not constitute a protest machinery for NFL clubs to dispute the result of a game. The Commissioner will conduct an investigation under this section only to review an act or occurrence that he deems so unfair that the result of the game in question may be inequitable to one of the participating teams. The Commissioner will not apply his authority under this section when a club registers a complaint concerning judgmental errors or routine errors of omission by game officials. Games involving such complaints will continue to stand as completed.

Penalties for unfair acts

The Commissioner's powers under this section (UNFAIR ACTS) include the imposition of monetary fines and draft choice forfeitures, suspension of persons involved, and, if appropriate, the reversal of a game's result or the rescheduling of a game, either from the beginning or from the point at which the extraordinary act occurred. In the event of rescheduling a game, the Commissioner will be guided by the procedures specified above ("Procedures for Starting and Resuming Games" under EMERGENCIES). In all cases, the Commissioner will conduct a full investigation, including the opportunity for hearings, use of game videotape, and any other procedures he deems appropriate.

Removing team from field

No player, coach, or other person affiliated with a club may remove that club's team from the field during the playing of any game, including preseason, except at the direction of the referee. Any club violating this rule will be subject to disciplinary action by the Commissioner, including possible game forfeiture and sole liability for financial losses suffered by the opposing club and any other affected member clubs of the League.

Good info there Big John, thanks.

This answers it.

"A forfeit occurs only when a game is not played because of the failure or refusal of one team to participate. "

Forfeit is not an option here.

You must have missed the 2nd bolded part in Big Johns post....

Penalties for unfair acts

The Commissioner's powers under this section (UNFAIR ACTS) include the imposition of monetary fines and draft choice forfeitures, suspension of persons involved, and, if appropriate, the reversal of a game's result or the rescheduling of a game, either from the beginning or from the point at which the extraordinary act occurred.

You must have missed the 2nd bolded part in Big Johns post....

I guess it's a difference of terminology. I don't think a forfeit and reversal of game's results are the same as a forfeit is defined there. What exactly does "reversal of game's result" mean? As defined in that text a forfeit can ONLY happen when one team can't or refuses to play, yet both teams played here. Yet another text says the league can reverse the game's result which must be different from a forfeit because both teams would have played the game which eliminates a forfeit.

Ok, from what Big John posted I've gathered that...

A. A forfeit results when a team can't or refuses to play a game. End result is a score of 2-0.

This doesn't apply here because the game was played.

B. The league can reverse the result of a game as a result of unfair acts.

This applys here and I guess we need to know exactly what that means. What happens to the game stats?

EDIT : This is an ugly can of worms for the league. What if they can trace this back several years?

Edited by SuperCharger

I don't think a forfeit would be warranted here because what purpose would that serve (other then putative)? If indeed the Pats were caught filming the Jets during the game, that probably didn't alter the outcome of THIS game. If uncaught, it might have given the Pats an advantage in subsequent games. Fines and/or loss of draft picks I think would be a more appropriate punishment.

I don't think a forfeit would be warranted here because what purpose would that serve (other then putative)? If indeed the Pats were caught filming the Jets during the game, that probably didn't alter the outcome of THIS game. If uncaught, it might have given the Pats an advantage in subsequent games. Fines and/or loss of draft picks I think would be a more appropriate punishment.

I actually think the opposite. I think a team would change it's signs from game to game but not between halves of a game. Film the signs in the first half, during halftime map them to formations and use that knowledge in the second half.

I think anyone who thinks that the reason they would or did do this is for future games is pretty naive. Do coaches in the NFL not change up their signs like coaches in Basketball and Baseball do?

With all the money (legal and illegal sports betting) involved I don't see how results could be changed once a game has ended. I'm guessing it will be money and draft picks.

Edited by ljbrun