[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Pats lose 1st round pick

budlitebrad

Did the league send out a memo to all 32 teams about it? Did the league fine Tony Dungy $500k and take away draft picks?

Did anybody have any concrete evidence at all (like, say, a guy with an unauthorized video camera)?

Yeah, just like the league sent out a memo to all 32 teams before the Pats incident. Was it specific to them? Do you need a videtape guy when you can HEAR how ridiculously loud it is in the dome? Think anyone who's ever been in there twice heard a significant difference? I mean, I've never heard anyone accuse ANY OTHER team of doing this.

By the way, can you tell me where Rodney Harrison admitted to taking HGH during the football season? Was he actually playing while he was using HGH? Or did he maybe use it to recover in the off-season more quickly? I mean, he's only played like 7 games over the past two seasons. Was it after his knee was destroyed? Or he broke his shoulder? Or when he was cut block and had his MCL torn?

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Which is because of HGH? I'd like to see your link to that, because it would be against the CBA for it to be released to you.

Rhodes violated the NFL's Substance Abuse Policy. That's the same policy that got Ricky suspended for testing positive for THC.

Again, you're full of crap.

So, his shoulder hasn't healed in four years? Um, OK. :D

He had surgery on it this past offseason....don't let the facts get in the way of a good argument.

Sorry..... back to the pissing contest. :D

Yeah, just like the league sent out a memo to all 32 teams before the Pats incident.

They send the memo to the entire league LAST SEASON because of what happened at the Pats/Packers game.

By the way, can you tell me where Rodney Harrison admitted to taking HGH during the football season? Was he actually playing while he was using HGH? Or did he maybe use it to recover in the off-season more quickly? I mean, he's only played like 7 games over the past two seasons. Was it after his knee was destroyed? Or he broke his shoulder? Or when he was cut block and had his MCL torn?

It doesn't matter when or why he used it. It doesn't change the fact that HE'S A CHEATER. And you could've added "convicted felon" to that if he hadn't cooperated with the Feds.

Edited by Bill Swerski

As a Pats Homer I am feeling raped of integrity!!! We as fans have always prided ourselves that we are a classy organization.....Well Cheating AINT CLASSY!!! I could care less if other teams do it or not.....Bottom line the pats and BILL B got caught not once but several times! I am just flabergasted that my home town team has as much Class as a school teacher in the middle of Summer...NONE!!!!!

Makes it real hard to route for them this season !! shame for the Pats could have been legit contenders too!

:D

At the end of the day, you're right.

The Pats cheated and got caught. I'm as ashamed as anyone.

What I won't tolerate is people coming out and taking this to the next level pulling up laundry lists of BS because they are so sour.

Enough said.

The items which you point to on your list are simply ridiculous.

- We saw the Pats CB rough up the WRs... rediculous. This is called strategy. Your boys are soft. The Pats knew they wouldn't call penalites in the playoffs. Is that their fault, or excellent strategy. Could the Colts have done it too?

- Controlling the injury report. Just because the Pats choose to be smart about the information they disseminate doesn't mean this is wrong.

- HGH - see the cheater which tarnishes your superbowl team, Dominic Rhodes.

I agree with these points.

I have no problem with any DBs roughing up WRs - that's part of the game. As a matter of fact, I almost never complain about calls made, or not made, on the field of play. Despite what happened in the NBA, I still trust referees calls - I may not agree with them, but I trust that they are calling it as they see it and I can live with whatever ruling they make. I can also live with calls they miss, because I trust that they are doing their best to call a fair game. For example, if this week we had found out that the Patriots had been playing with 12 men for the past 7 years and that the referees had somehow failed to notice that, I'd be OK with the Pats. I'd be pissed at the league, but I'd be OK with the Pats.

Second, I have a slight problem with manipulating the injury report - but I don't think manipulating the injury report directly hurts comprtition. The injury report exists for only one reason - gambling. The injury report was instituted because Vegas insiders and bigtime gamblers were weaseling their way into locker rooms (literally and figuratively) and bribing players, assistant coaches, trainers, etc. to give them inside information on injury statuses. The NFL recognized he danger in big-time gamblers (gambling rings, mafia, etc.) contacting players and coaches (i.e. "Hey, is Pennington going to play this week - Oh, by the way, would you like $200K to miss a couple of tackles this week.." type of thing.). The only problem I have with manipulating the injury report is that it gives big-time gamblers a reason to try to infiltrate the locker room. I don't think NFL teams should have an obligation to tell the opposition (or, fantasy football owners for that matter) who's hurt and who's not.

Third, steroids or HGH is an individulal decision by the player. I don't think it reflects on the team at all. The fact that Dominic Rhodes, or Shawn Merriman, or whoever - gets caught using to me is irrelevant as far as the franchise is concerned. I love the Jets, but if there are players on the team breaking league rules I want them busted and suspened. But if they are caught by the league drug testing policy, it doesn't reflect negatively on the team to me. If 5 or 6 Jets are suddenly suspended, then I might think the team was somehow involved - but a player here or there I think is due to individual choice regardless of what team he is on.

But this situation with the Patriots is simply cheating.

What I won't tolerate is people coming out and taking this to the next level pulling up laundry lists of BS because they are so sour.

Enough said.

Your team cheated. What you will or won't tolerate is no longer relevant.

Enough said.

You'll damn well will tolerate it, what's put down in a public forum in a public debate, or you will remove your ass altogether from the topic.

This thread is ridiculous. But then, I guess I shouldn't be surprised by that. Should Belichick and the Pats have been punished for this? Of course they should have. Did the punishment fit the crime? I suppose it did. I think a draft pick loss is harsher than a suspension, personally, since it can affect the team long term moreso than the possible loss of a couple games in one season.

From what I understand about the sign stealing usage of video, there has to be someone to do the taping in-game, then someone to sit down with the tape and match it up EXACTLY to the in-game polaroids (which everyone takes) and match it to the play, etc. Do you guys really think that someone can do this in a matter of seconds and someone can still call in a play? Do you imagine that someone could really do this and have it be effective within the course of a single game? Teams try to build this information for use in subsequent games.

The facts are that the camera was confiscated 8 minutes into the game. EIGHT MINUTES. There was ZERO impact on the taping during this game.

Sign stealing or no...the fact is that the Pats executed on their plays. Even if you have the advantage of knowing what another team might do, if you can't execute you won't be successful.

You'll damn well will tolerate it, what's put down in a public forum in a public debate, or you will remove your ass altogether from the topic.

You're right... I will tolerate the discussion of THIS TOPIC. Not BS drudge allegations from the past...

"Oooh, the Pats DBs roughed up my WRs."

Agreed, but you're assuming that they haven't tried this before and gotten away from it. I'm not sure I'd make that assumption.

Au contraire, I assume they've been doing it for years. Just like I assume that every other team in the NFL does what it can to steal signals. Belichick pushed the envelope and just a bit too far. He and the team are paying the price, as are their fans. The fact that he did it in the face of having been warned not to makes me as mad as anything. The guy was standing out there with his camera, not 'hiding' in the slightest.

I still believe that it doesn't provide real time, in game advantage. It builds the database for future successes, certainly.

You're right... I will tolerate the discussion of THIS TOPIC. Not BS drudge allegations from the past...

"Oooh, the Pats DBs roughed up my WRs."

Not saying it's right or wrong, but that is being "drug through the mud" as was mentioned early. Hey, I wish it would have never happened....to any team at this point. I just want to watch football and enjoy the season and FF, this is putting a major damper on the season right out of the gate( and I think I speak for many people here), especially since your homer team was picked by many to "win it all" has only added gasoline to a towering inferno at this point.

Au contraire, I assume they've been doing it for years. Just like I assume that every other team in the NFL does what it can to steal signals. Belichick pushed the envelope and just a bit too far. He and the team are paying the price, as are their fans. The fact that he did it in the face of having been warned not to makes me as mad as anything. The guy was standing out there with his camera, not 'hiding' in the slightest.

Fair enough.

The New England Patriots are cheaters. This is not speculation, this is not sour grapes, this is now a proven fact. The New England Patriots are cheaters.

nope. sorry, you are wrong. this is not a 'proven fact'.

what is a proven fact is that the Patriots violated an NFL rule

of having a camera on the sideline and they were fined for it.

get your facts straight please.

:D