[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Presidential Address

kpholmes

36 countries.. I think he misspoke I think its actually less now.

Off the top of my head:

England

Australia

Poland

Romania

Georgia

Bulgaria

Czech

S. Korea

Norway

Italy

Some of those nations have soldiers there now, some had soldiers and now only have police and instructors to train the local iraqi security forces. I'm sure somebody can find the whole list. Multi National Force Iraq. Its a pretty minor point for critics to dwell on.

The whole thing pisses me off, and I want to comment, but I am afraid of running my mouth in an inappropriate manner.

I just wish they gave more credit to what has been accomplished by soldiers/marines/sailors/airmen over there. Everyone supports soldiers, but I don't like it being implied that when we (service members) state that accomplishments have been made we are lying to ourselves or others.

"I think that the reports that you provide to us really require a willing suspension of disbelief.” -Hillary Clinton to GEN Petraeus

I ran my mouth anyway.

Edited by Thunder Chicken

I just wish they gave more credit to what has been accomplished by soldiers/marines/sailors/airmen over there. Everyone supports soldiers, but I don't like it being implied that when we (service members) state that accomplishments have been made we are lying to ourselves or others.

"I think that the reports that you provide to us really require a willing suspension of disbelief.” -Hillary Clinton to GEN Petraeus

I ran my mouth anyway.

+1 and my hat is off to you!!!

36 countries.. I think he misspoke I think its actually less now.

Off the top of my head:

England

Australia

Poland

Romania

Georgia

Bulgaria

Czech

S. Korea

Norway

Italy

Some of those nations have soldiers there now, some had soldiers and now only have police and instructors to train the local iraqi security forces. I'm sure somebody can find the whole list. Multi National Force Iraq. Its a pretty minor point for critics to dwell on.

The whole thing pisses me off, and I want to comment, but I am afraid of running my mouth in an inappropriate manner.

I ran my mouth anyway.

Appreciate the efforts in the foxholes, buddy, but Generals are extremely political. Your use of the term WE implies that in order to support the troops in theater, we must believe EVERYONE in the chain of command, all the way to the top. I expect you have been in the military long enough to know not everyone in the chain of command is worthy of that trust.

Negative reaction to a report that has been cooked (possibly) to support a position has nothing to do with the accomplishments in the field.

I think the Senator's comment above is commenting on the veracity of the report she was given, not necessarily any lack or unappreciation of effort for the troops in the field.

Bush really set Patraeus up for the beating he's getting now by constantly answering "Let's wait for the General's report" any time anyone asked him for his position on the future of Iraq for the last 4 months.

Because of that treatment for months, everyone suspects that the report is politicized, and it's the first time any of the showboating congressman right before an election get a chance to react to an actual statement and look tough.

That's politics, baby. And Bush is just as responsible for the current treatment of Petraeus as Hillary... possibly much more.

Thunder, the pansy libs (see Bushwacked) will say and do anything to see to it a Democrat is elected no matter what.

Which is more immature? Referring to those who disagree with your sentiment as pansies, or refusing to accept responsibility for anything?

Thunder, the pansy libs (see Bushwacked) will say and do anything to see to it a Democrat is elected no matter what.

I could really care less who gets elected as they are all most likely swine. All things being equal, competency of any given administration weighs fairly heavily in who I cast a vote. The primary reason why I never voted for Chimpy McCokesnorter had little to do with party allegiance and everything to do with a glaring lack of ability to do an effective job.

"those 9 guys from Cameroon are KICKING A$$!!!"

Even with the UK pulling out 40,000 Troops since the invasion (they still have about 5000) there are more than 8,000 foreign soldiers contributing to the MNF in Iraq. Even if it is 2 from moldova or 1200 from S. Korea It is still a contribution to the effort. and 8000 soldiers (equivalent to about 2-3 Brigades) not from the US is exactly that. More than half of these supporting nations provide support, police and training teams to do exactly what the whole mission is, rebuilding Iraq and its infrastructure to a point where we can leave.

Nothing is going to go fast, but accomplishments are made every day. No Soldier wants war or loves it. But we take a lot of pride in what we do and don't want what we do down played or bad mouthed.

Yes, there are politics in the military, within the change of command, even more so in this, most political of conflicts, but every Soldier, from the lowest Private to General Petraeus, wants to see every single soldier come home alive. If there is anything that can be done to accomplish this mission and see the return of every Soldier to US soil, it will be done.