[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Calling all commissioners ...

Grits and Shins

A bit long (sorry)

My long time local league allows for unlimited injured reserve and we use it extensively.

Free agency is frozen between kick off of Monday night game and Tuesday 9:00 AM CST.

9:00 AM CST priority transaction requests are processed (worst to first), owners may only claim one player.

10:00 AM CST FCFS free agency opens, players can be added/dropped anytime as long as their game for the week has not kicked off

IR rules before this year (when the NFL stopped releasing the Wednesday injury report)

• No player can be put on IR until the official NFL injury report is released on Wednesday and the MFL page is updated with the current week injury status.
  • Players are no longer eligible for IR in the current week once their game has kicked off.
  • Players must be listed as probable, questionable, doubtful, out, or IR to be eligible for IR.
  • Players that are doubtful, out or IR the player may be put on IR and another player acquired at no cost.
  • Players that are probable or questionable may be placed on IR but a fee of $10 will be assessed if said player posts fantasy stats in the current week.
  • Players must be released or re-activated from IR by Saturday noon following the week they post fantasy stats. Defaiult action will be the release of the player into the free agency pool where he will be available for normal free agency (original owner will not get preferencial treatment).
  • Players on IR that have had stats the previous week need not be re-activated if they are eligible for IR in the current week.
  • Players may not be put on IR and re-activated within the same fantasy week.

One of our major issues has been owners tendency to make IR moves using the last week's injury status. With all the mess around the Wednesday practice report and the Friday injury report this year I implemented the following changes:

• The NFL no longer releases an injury report on Wednesdays. Instead a report is released indicating:

• Out (definitely will not play)

• Did not participate in practice – (Doubtful)

• Limited participation in practice – (Questionable)

• Full participation in practice – (Probable)

Any player listed with one of these categories on Wednesday may be placed on injured reserve. For the purposes of our league, players placed on IR prior to the release of the official NFL injury report on Friday evening will be considered QUESTIONABLE with all of the implications of questionable IR moves listed in the Friday IR rules section.

THE PROBLEM

Owners that have players with a valid injury status the week before they go into their bye week get a free IR move because there is no chance that player will have fantasy stats the following week. I have already had an owner take this loop hole when he put Westbrook on IR today (questionable status).

Can I reverse the transaction or is this a lloop hole we have to address next year?

You cannot use the injury report during a bye week because the team does not have an injury report. There is no requirement by the league and an injury report is purely for the games to be played that week. You cannot, IMO, make a move based on a previous week injury report because it is invalid and meaningless the moment the game it was referring to starts. IMO, you cannot do an IR move in your league until the official designations are given on Friday and then they expire upon kickoff.

I would reverse it but then again, it should have never been allowed.

You cannot use the injury report during a bye week because the team does not have an injury report. There is no requirement by the league and an injury report is purely for the games to be played that week. You cannot, IMO, make a move based on a previous week injury report because it is invalid and meaningless the moment the game it was referring to starts. IMO, you cannot do an IR move in your league until the official designations are given on Friday and then they expire upon kickoff.

I would reverse it but then again, it should have never been allowed.

Yes ... that is the way it has worked in year's past. No injury moves were allowed until the official injury report was released on WEDNESDAY. However the league feels like Friday is too long to wait.

So the rule this year was you could use the status listed on Wednesday if you were willing to risk the $10. We did not anticipate that players going into bye weeks would have a "left over" injury status.

I had the same thing with Lamont Jordan Owner and Westbrook owner. Our IR has to be out or doubtful. I said since there'd be no report on them, then the can't IR them. They wouldn't be playing them anyways it seemed they were trying to circumvent the reason we had the IR in the first place; so owners can't stash players.

I had the same thing with Lamont Jordan Owner and Westbrook owner. Our IR has to be out or doubtful. I said since there'd be no report on them, then the can't IR them. They wouldn't be playing them anyways it seemed they were trying to circumvent the reason we had the IR in the first place; so owners can't stash players.

In year's past it has always sucked if you had a player sustain an injury that would keep him sidelined 2 or more weeks just prior to his off week ... because no IR move could be made until the injury report of the week after the bye. Allowing owners to use the Wednesday status for bye week players alleviates that issue. That is a positive.

Does that positive out weigh the negative :D

If this is the first time someone has tried this, I would shoot it down now and advise the owner that the spirit of the rule does not cover this situation. There are no injury concerns when a player is on his bye week. As far as the player the owner acquired goes, I would tell him that he can keep the player under whatever rules you have for picking up free agents, but either westy or another player should be dropped (as would be the case in any free agent/claim/waiver situation--whichever applies here). Or maybe put a player for this week on IR who qualifies, instead of westy.

If other owners jumped on this bandwagon last week, then the genie is out of the bottle so to speak, as they've already reaped an advantage that other owners did not have last week. They may have picked up players that they now want to keep. You may be stuck until next year with this loophole. Let the owners know this won't be tolerated starting next season--and then exploit it for yourself this year! :D

I think your IR terms are very liberal to begin with. Most players listed as questionable, usually end up playing, at least a little bit. That being said, a player on bye week should not be eligable for an IR spot, unless he's out for the season, or at the very least a DEFINATE extended period of time(i.e. Player X was hurt and it has been said he'll be out for 6-8 weeks, his bye falls during the 2nd week of that period). Your league should really look to modifying this rule in the offseason, but I don't know that you can reverse any transactions this season....

JMO.....but in my local we allow any player that is on an injury report to be put on IR until an injury report is released that they are not on.

I think it's the easiest way to manage things.

That is a main point.

As commissioner I don't want to have to manage IR moves every week. The simplest and most straight forward approach that requires the least amount of management by the commissioner is to allow any player that shows up on the injury report to be put on IR. If owners choose to place probable or questionable players on IR they will be assessed a $10 fee if that player plays in the next weeks games and posts fantasy stats. This is pretty easy for me to manage ... Tuesday morning I go to the roster page click on each questionable/probable player on IR to determine if he posted stats that week and assess fees as appropriate.

Players on IR must be activated or lost the by Saturday noon of the next fantasy week after they have posted stats. EXCEPTION: A player that has posted stats and is still eligible for IR in the next week need not be activated (however, if the player remains on the IR report as probable or questionable and posts stats the owner will be assessed a $10 fee). This is a bit more problematical to manage but not too bad - Saturday at noon go to the roster page and click on any player still on IR to determine if he had stats the previous week, any player with stats that does not have a valid IR status immediately becomes a free agent.

New rule added this year states that an IR move made before the official NFL injury report on Friday will be treated as an IR move of a player with a QUESTIONABLE status (which may or may not bear a transaction fee based on that player's performance the next week). This is where the snag has occurred. I don't want to have to verify every IR transaction of the week.

That is a main point.

As commissioner I don't want to have to manage IR moves every week. The simplest and most straight forward approach that requires the least amount of management by the commissioner is to allow any player that shows up on the injury report to be put on IR. If owners choose to place probable or questionable players on IR they will be assessed a $10 fee if that player plays in the next weeks games and posts fantasy stats. This is pretty easy for me to manage ... Tuesday morning I go to the roster page click on each questionable/probable player on IR to determine if he posted stats that week and assess fees as appropriate.

:D I don't see why you need to make it that complicated. If the player is listed as injured, then they are listed as injured. They might post stats, but the team isn't getting the stats if the player is on IR.

IR slots are mainly used for good players that are hurt, not for end of the roster scrubs. I am not sure what you are trying to protect against. Why charge a fee?

Players on IR must be activated or lost the by Saturday noon of the next fantasy week after they have posted stats. EXCEPTION: A player that has posted stats and is still eligible for IR in the next week need not be activated (however, if the player remains on the IR report as probable or questionable and posts stats the owner will be assessed a $10 fee). This is a bit more problematical to manage but not too bad - Saturday at noon go to the roster page and click on any player still on IR to determine if he had stats the previous week, any player with stats that does not have a valid IR status immediately becomes a free agent.

New rule added this year states that an IR move made before the official NFL injury report on Friday will be treated as an IR move of a player with a QUESTIONABLE status (which may or may not bear a transaction fee based on that player's performance the next week). This is where the snag has occurred. I don't want to have to verify every IR transaction of the week.

:D Again....if the player is on the injury report, then they can be in the IR spot. If there was no report released, use the last one available.

If a player on your league can't use the IR system honorably, then replace them.

I think the way things stand you could be in for some messy problems with savy owners. Best example i can think of is the perenial T Brady and his record appearances on the injury report. During his bye week he could be IR'ed to enable an extra pickup for that week. You should probably try and nip this in the bud now.

I agreed with everything you said, but this last thing is just dumb.

:D

You obviously have never been in a sportsline league, where you can put a player on the IR slot when they are injured, and then don't ever have to take them out. We had people doing this to grab an extra roster spot, which was in effect cheating. And cheating owners get booted in leagues I run.

IMPLICATION NUMBER TWO:

The owner that has Chester Taylor on IR will be required to activate him this week or lose him because Taylor had fantasy stats last week. However, if Chester shows up on the IR report this week (he was probable Wednesday) then this owner would NOT have to reactivate Chester and would not be penalized because MIN is off week 5.

I think having an IR spot is a bad idea, it's too hard to track and makes life miserable for a commish if owners decide to violate the spirit of the IR.

I had 3 leagues expand the roster and omitted the IR this season, and i think that is the best solution for leagues with IR disputes.

Edited by theeohiostate

:D I don't see why you need to make it that complicated. If the player is listed as injured, then they are listed as injured. They might post stats, but the team isn't getting the stats if the player is on IR.

IR slots are mainly used for good players that are hurt, not for end of the roster scrubs. I am not sure what you are trying to protect against. Why charge a fee?

:D Again....if the player is on the injury report, then they can be in the IR spot. If there was no report released, use the last one available.

If a player on your league can't use the IR system honorably, then replace them.

The league doesn't want owners using IR transactions to make FREE moves; i.e. I shouldn't be allowed to put a scrub from my team on IR to acquire my off week kicker.

Utilizing loop holes in the rules is not "dis-honorable".

:D

You obviously have never been in a sportsline league, where you can put a player on the IR slot when they are injured, and then don't ever have to take them out. We had people doing this to grab an extra roster spot, which was in effect cheating. And cheating owners get booted in leagues I run.

as a pats fan, i guess you should be glad roger goodell doesn't share your attitude.

Commissioner Setup - Injured Reserve Setup.

On the last question, are you set to yes or no to carry over the injured reserve status for bye week players?

I checked on this in one of my leagues. It is set to no. I then checked Westbrook, and as of this post, he shows as Questionable still on the roster report, but if you click on his name, he does not have an injury status yet for week 5 (not sure if this is because there are no stats for week 5, or becasue the official report is not out). For comparison, I looked at Shaun Alexander, and he shows a probable on the roster page but also has no status on his player page.

You can submit a ticket to MFL to see what is going on with this.

......I had 3 leagues expand the roster and omitted the IR this season, and i think that is the best solution for leagues with IR disputes.

This is exactly what we did in our league this year. The IR spot was a major PITA to track and police. Good riddance!

Commissioner Setup - Injured Reserve Setup.

On the last question, are you set to yes or no to carry over the injured reserve status for bye week players?

I checked on this in one of my leagues. It is set to no. I then checked Westbrook, and as of this post, he shows as Questionable still on the roster report, but if you click on his name, he does not have an injury status yet for week 5 (not sure if this is because there are no stats for week 5, or becasue the official report is not out). For comparison, I looked at Shaun Alexander, and he shows a probable on the roster page but also has no status on his player page.

You can submit a ticket to MFL to see what is going on with this.

I do indeed have it set to 'No'