[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Bull$pit clock stoppages

Ramhock

That last sec ice crap? Can they just get rid of that or double the kicker's salaries. :D

That last kick won me high game of the week = $100 in my local. In my other league, I started Kris Brown. :D

You mean call timeout before the ball is snapped....they have been able to do that ever since they let coaches call timeouts from the sidelines....unless of course you have something against a fair and valid timeout call?

You mean call timeout before the ball is snapped....they have been able to do that ever since they let coaches call timeouts from the sidelines....unless of course you have something against a fair and valid timeout call?

True but I never remember it being called 1 second before the guy kicks it..Its bush league ISMHO..Legal but Bush league

Edited by whomper

I think there will be a rule change.

I agree it is one of the worst rules in football.

Or maybe the snap just needs to come quicker so the team has no time to ice a player. If a player on the field calls timeout an instant before the kick...it should be granted. This is not like calling TO in the NBA while in midair flying out of bounds. How on earth are you gonna regulate how and when a TO can be called with reference to a kick unless there is a standard snap count for all teams attempting field goals and extra points...then that gives an unfair advantage to the defense....so...pray tell how this would be governed?

Geez, is this the first year some guys have watched football?

This has been going on at all levels in league allows FGs to be kicked since I've played & watched the game played. Before the coach could call timeout from the sideline, one of the D players would stand next to the ref, let the ref know what he was doing, and call timeout after the team was at the line, the holder ready, and the kicker lined up.

This is time honored strategy, and given the mental makeup of a lot of Ks, the pressure of the kick to tie or win a game, and the hugh importance of an action by the player on most teams that is the least athletic guy on the roster by a long shot, is effective & reasonable.

What are you going to do? Not allow teams to call timeouts when the center is on the ball? What happens if the D team discovers it has too many men on the field? Are you going to force them to take a penalty rather than call timeout, moving the freakin' kicker 5 yds closer? How about if a player is woozy & hurt and doesn't show it overtly immediately? Do you allow him to get creamed in his state?

This is football. This is the way it works at the end of close games. It has happened this way since FGs and timeouts have been around. Some of you guys need to take up watching checkers tournaments - you clearly don't have the constitution to watch a game as adversarial as football.

Edited by Bronco Billy

I think in the case of the field goal attempts, it appears that the coach is trying to call a timeout just a split second before the ball is snapped. Which, IMO, is very difficult to do from the sideline. From the limited camera angle, it appears that the TO is called "after" the snap which should not be honored. Once the ball has been snapped it is in play. In previous years, the kicker was iced just as he did his final setup, not on the split second that hte snapper begins his motion.

I do believe that the rules committee will take a look at this in the off-season.

Geez, is this the first year some guys have watched football?

This has been going on at all levels in league allows FGs to be kicked since I've played & watched the game played. Before the coach could call timeout from the sideline, one of the D players would stand next to the ref, let the ref know what he was doing, and call timeout after the team was at the line, the holder ready, and the kicker lined up.

This is time honored strategy, and given the mental makeup of a lot of Ks, the pressure of the kick to tie or win a game, and the hugh importance of an action by the player on most teams that is the least athletic guy on the roster by a long shot, is effective & reasonable.

What are you going to do? Not allow teams to call timeouts when the center is on the ball? What happens if the D team discovers it has too many men on the field? Are you going to force them to take a penalty rather than call timeout, moving the freakin' kicker 5 yds closer? How about if a player is woozy & hurt and doesn't show it overtly immediately? Do you allow him to get creamed in his state?

This is football. This is the way it works at the end of close games. It has happened this way since FGs and timeouts have been around. Some of you guys need to take up watching checkers tournaments - you clearly don't have the constitution to watch a game as adversarial as football.

I think in the case of the field goal attempts, it appears that the coach is trying to call a timeout just a split second before the ball is snapped. Which, IMO, is very difficult to do from the sideline. From the limited camera angle, it appears that the TO is called "after" the snap which should not be honored. Once the ball has been snapped it is in play. In previous years, the kicker was iced just as he did his final setup, not on the split second that hte snapper begins his motion.

I do believe that the rules committee will take a look at this in the off-season.

Exactly..And there is your difference..It is a weak method..I never remember in all my years of watching football having to worry once a kick was in the air if a team called a last second TO..If this keeps up we will get to the point where we will expect a last second kick not to count until the 2nd try..I cant wait for the day one of these coaches calls this bush league TO and the kicker misses..Then he drills the game winner.

Edited by whomper

What are you going to do? Remove the ability of the HC to call the TO from the sidelines on kicks.

They were talking about this on ESPN the other day and had actually said they are working on a rule that prevents the TO being called at the last second. They usually tell the ref they are gonna call it and then wait until there is 1 second left. That's the part they will change. TO's will still be able to be called, but not with 1 second left. They thought by next season it would be in effect. So we'll see what it actually will be.

Then the defensive captain will do it instead. Simple enough. This isn't going to be stopped so just live with it.

I disagree..They will change this next year..They will figure out a way..

They were talking about this on ESPN the other day and had actually said they are working on a rule that prevents the TO being called at the last second. They usually tell the ref they are gonna call it and then wait until there is 1 second left. That's the part they will change. TO's will still be able to be called, but not with 1 second left. They thought by next season it would be in effect. So we'll see what it actually will be.

HUH...how on earth would anyone know if there was one second left before the snap....unless of course everyone had a five second snap count once the kicker is set and signals the ref...which gives a hugh advantage to the defense....I guess a penalty should then be assessed if the kicking team doesn't snap the ball within the fives second window...or better yet, the defensive side just gets the head start....lets just ruin the game of football altogether. Again, if the kicking team doesn't want this to happen...stagger the snap counts or snap the ball quicker.

I don't like it, but it's not illegal. What I would like to see though is when the kicker drills the 2nd field goal much like Folk did last night, a simple little gesture toward the opposing coach would be worth a chuckle.

Of course then he would get flagged for taunting and probably be fined and suspended. :D

It's happened already. More than once.

I hope that I just made your day. Hell, I hope that I just made your life.

Easy Chachi ( © Kid Cid) Why so Hostile ? :saidinthevoiceofjefe'fromthe3amigos: Could it be that you are just a little upset because you are turning 40 today ? Or that Shanahan , although not the first in history to ice a kicker, is being credited with starting this douschbaggery this year ? Again I know Shanny didnt invent it but the furor started when he did it to Janikowski..

Edited by whomper

The rules will be changed in the offseason to fix this. I remember seeing double kicks occasionally before this year. Usually you would hear the whistle blow but the kicker would follow through anyway just for practice. This year, for some reason, either the whistle is being blown too late or no one can hear it. I mean, the entire "winning" teams bench is clearing onto the field after the fake kicks. Unacceptable, punishable by a pentalty (bench clearing w/ time on the clock) and bad for the game, IMO.

What is the big deal? I actually like it - it adds drama.

the offense does not need to be so predictable and snap it a bit early or change the signal the holder gives to snap. this is what football is all about. the defense figured something out that currently seems to work and now it is up to the offense to figure a way to take that advantage away.

Why is it bush league? I don't understand why people have issues with it?

You're in a good mood today.

I am filled with love for my fellow man. If seeing a missed kick negated by a timeout followed by a made kick that wins a game makes whomper's life just a little bit better, I'm exuberant to be the bearer of good news for him.

Once the teams lineup, no timeouts can be called on last second field goals....there is your way to change it...

As for the person who said, well what if they need to call a TO due to too many men on the field, dont have too many men on the field...

Calling a TO to ice the kicker is one thing...thats gamesmanship, but any kicker will tell you it helps, not hurts them....but calling a TO at the very last second with the intention of having him kick it once and it not counting is bush league!!