[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Why isn't Marion Barber getting 90% of the carries

Locness_Monster

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bronco Billy Steeler country is your game come to the dark side.

Let me put it in little words for you! IF you have a bad D like the Dallas secondary....wait I'll try something else to bring you back to the second grade.

NO D = shootout if you are playing a good offensive team

GOOD D = Hard running game controling the clock and rely on D to help you win the game

Now Bronco Billy what D looks like the Dallas Cowboys passing defense? You can do it. I know you can.

Now if you can not understand that then God help you

Edited by Dont Rookie Me........

i find it hard to believe that people can even say that JJ is productive

Look at these stats:

JJ on 1st downs: 179carries 679yards 3.8ypc 2TDs

Barber on 1st downs: 63carries 296yards 4.7ypc 7TDs

4th quarter:

JJ 43/138 3.2avg 1TD

Barber 50/285 5.7avg 8TDs

Now one could say that Barber is able to be sucessful in the 4th quarter because he is fresher but anyway you slice it a 3.2 YPC by your Starting RB is not good

and JJ has some really impressive stats in the 1st half this yr:

36carries for 101yrds 2.8ypc 1 TD and 4 1st downs

If your point is that Barber has been MORE productive than Jones this year than yeah I agree.

But if you dont think Jones is a productive runner, having a career average of 4.0 yd/rush, than I do not agree.

I am sure there are more than a few teams that would plug him in as their starter tomorrow.

Teams like Houston, Buffalo, NY Jets, Chicago, Green Bay, Detroit or Tampa Bay.

Point is, you could do a HECK of a lot worse than Jones.

@gritz and shins....any comment i made in this thread was not directed toward my FF teams.

i read through this thread again, and you like to put words in peoples mouths

to make your argument.

you shouldn't put things in the mouths of people you don't know....

makes you look desperate.

anyway, go back and read BroncoBilly's football 101. then read it again.

Edited by pig devilz

@gritz and shins....any comment i made in this thread was not directed toward my FF teams.

i read through this thread again, and you like to put words in peoples mouths

to make your argument.

you shouldn't put things in the mouths of people you don't know....

makes you look desperate.

anyway, go back and read BroncoBilly's football 10. then read it again.

:D

And besides being a fantasy football geek you are also a professional evaluator of NFL talent.

I don't know if Dallas improves to 6-0 but I think they certainly wouldn't have...

1. Fallen behind by 14 and chased the entire 1st half...and

2. End up getting blown out by 21 at home.

There's 5-1 with 5 wins over a bunch of bums with 1 BAD loss and

there's 5-1 with 5 wins over a bunch of bums with 1 CLOSE loss

You are saying that Dallas could get more by kicking it up to 4th gear, implying they should run all out all the time. I'm saying you do that and you blow the engine. Now the muscle car sits in the shop the last half of the season and you have to run the race with your mini-van.

I read this post and get the impression you are refering to Barber as a muscle car and Jones as a mini-van.

I don't think the Cowboys would have beaten NE by getting Barber more carries on Sunday, but it was better than the option they chose which failed miserably. Yes, the Cowboys are 5-1, but they are a few seconds from being 4-2. Barber helped in their come from behind win in BUF the offense seems to be more in sync when he is in the game, he just runs harder than Jones.

FF aside, the RB stats are indisputable, Barber is more productive so far this year, but like many other situations (Foster & Williams, Norwood & Dunn) the coaches obviously have their reasons to stick with what they have. However as previously stated coaches are not perfect.

Does anybody remember when Emmitt was in his wanning years and Hambrick was running behind him?

2000 - Hambrick averaged 4.7 yards per carry in relief of Emmitt.

2001 - Hambrick averaged 5.1 YPC in relief of Emmitt.

2002 - Hambrick had a more pedistrian 4.0 YPC in relief of Emmitt.

And if you remember back then Hambrick looked pretty darn good running the ball ... to the point the people were talking about how he should start ahead Emmitt.

In 2003 - Hambrick got his chance. Guess what he just wasn't the same as the full time starter ... he dropped to 3.5 YPC.

But I'm sure it is different with MBIII because the fantasy football geek geniuses of the world have declared it so.

Does anybody remember when Emmitt was in his wanning years and Hambrick was running behind him?

2000 - Hambrick averaged 4.7 yards per carry in relief of Emmitt.

2001 - Hambrick averaged 5.1 YPC in relief of Emmitt.

2002 - Hambrick had a more pedistrian 4.0 YPC in relief of Emmitt.

And if you remember back then Hambrick looked pretty darn good running the ball ... to the point the people were talking about how he should start ahead Emmitt.

In 2003 - Hambrick got his chance. Guess what he just wasn't the same as the full time starter ... he dropped to 3.5 YPC.

But I'm sure it is different with MBIII because the fantasy football geek geniuses of the world have declared it so.

Hambrick = MB3. :D

Hambrick = MB3. :D

Julius Jones is the better back. They are not calling enough screens and draw plays for him. Some delayed handoff would be nice too. Barber isn't a great back...he is a hard runner for sure...but Jones has better ability...and hasn't been given the chance to show it. The only time he had his chance was the last 6 games of his rookie year...and he gained almost 1000 yards over that stretch...he is the better of the two backs...he will have the better career.

Bronco Billy Steeler country is your game come to the dark side.

Let me put it in little words for you! IF you have a bad D like the Dallas secondary....wait I'll try something else to bring you back to the second grade.

NO D = shootout if you are playing a good offensive team

GOOD D = Hard running game controling the clock and rely on D to help you win the game

Now Bronco Billy what D looks like the Dallas Cowboys passing defense? You can do it. I know you can.

Now if you can not understand that then God help you

Being a condescending prick at a FF message board is a lot more effective if you understand that game just a bit...

Well clearly if they had run Barber exclusively Dallas would have beaten NE and be 6-0.

I haven't seen anyone other than you take that position in this thread.

If DAL would have run the ball more with their more effective RB - you can read that as being Barber - they would have given themselves a chance to win the game. As it was, getting into a scoring contest with NE, they had no chance to win the game other than NE making a lot of significant mistakes in its passing O. Perhaps you think its a wild coincidence that DAL only ran the ball 14 times and lost by 21 points despite having an offense that averages 34 ppg.

Getting into a track meet with NE when a team has a passing D that is utterly incompetent is nothing less than complete stupidity. There's no way to win that game.

I haven't seen anyone other than you take that position in this thread.

If DAL would have run the ball more with their more effective RB - you can read that as being Barber - they would have given themselves a chance to win the game. As it was, getting into a scoring contest with NE, they had no chance to win the game other than NE making a lot of significant mistakes in its passing O. Perhaps you think its a wild coincidence that DAL only ran the ball 14 times and lost by 21 points despite having an offense that averages 34 ppg.

Getting into a track meet with NE when a team has a passing D that is utterly incompetent is nothing less than complete stupidity. There's no way to win that game.

Actually if Dallas cuts down on penalties they have a better chance to win the game.

With 10:34 left in the 3rd quarter, Dallas goes on a 74 yard drive to score the Crayton TD and at this point, Dallas is essentially winning 3-0 (with J. J. rushing for 43 of the 74 yards).

The Pats go on a 5:24 second drive, score a TD and the Pats are up by 4.

The Cowboys next possession is a Romo incomplete pass, a spectacular Barber run for 2 yards and another incomplete pass and a punt. NE kicks a FG with their next possession to go up by 7.

Cowboys get the ball back and Barber runs for 18, then he runs for 1 yard, then Barber converts that 4th and 1 except for the Kosier penalty and the Cowboys punt.

2:13 later Brady to Stallworth and the Cowboys are down by 14 with 12 minutes left in the game and have abandoned the run for the rest of the game. Jones hasn't touched the ball at this point since the Cowboys were up 24-21 but at this point they are down 38- 24. The Cowboys rushed the ball exactly 1 more time the rest of the game (Jones).

I'm not even saying that it was Barber's fault but in the Cowboys 1 loss, Barber was ineffective at nursing and grinding the Cowboys to a victory. So explain to me again how Barber carrying the ball more benefits the Cowboys.

my thoughts on this topic are as a Cowboys fan. I get excited when I see Barber in the backfield. The kid runs angry.

Agreed. Most Boys fans wonder why he doesn't take a more featured role. Not only is he a tougher runner than JJ, he energizes the entire offense more. He may not be a quick as JJ, but I can't recall the last time JJ's quickness got him a long TD run. Besides, you don't need to be as quick if you're better at breaking tackles...

I'm not even saying that it was Barber's fault but in the Cowboys 1 loss, Barber was ineffective at nursing and grinding the Cowboys to a victory. So explain to me again how Barber carrying the ball more benefits the Cowboys.

You can tell Barber was ineffective at nursing & grinding when he only got 8 carries all game, never lost yardage, made a superb run to save DAL from a safety, and half of his runs were for 4 yds or more?

You can tell Barber was ineffective at nursing & grinding when he only got 8 carries all game, never lost yardage, made a superb run to save DAL from a safety, and half of his runs were for 4 yds or more?

as much as it pains me to say this about a cowboy...that was one of the most determined/toughest runs i have ever seen