[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Opening doors for others

Mark5

This mainly concerns opening a door at a convenience store.

When you hold the door open for others, they say thank you 99% of the time, but is it a common courtesy for that person to let you in front of them at the register if you both walk straight there when you enter? I ask this because only about 10% of the time they let you ahead of them. Does this irritate you? Sometimes it does me depending on how the day went.. Kind of a scratch my back thing.

I did have a lady yesterday let me break line with one item at Wal-Mart when she had a buggy full, and we all stand there going "c'mon Lady, please please please... THANK YOU"

This mainly concerns opening a door at a convenience store.

When you hold the door open for others, they say thank you 99% of the time, but is it a common courtesy for that person to let you in front of them at the register if you both walk straight there when you enter? I ask this because only about 10% of the time they let you ahead of them. Does this irritate you? Sometimes it does me depending on how the day went.. Kind of a scratch my back thing.

I did have a lady yesterday let me break line with one item at Wal-Mart when she had a buggy full, and we all stand there going "c'mon Lady, please please please... THANK YOU"

If you are courteous enough to hold the door open for someone you shouldn't expect reciprocation, seeing as you are trying to be selfless with the initial gesture. If you are doing it because you expect a return courtesy, then you defeat the whole purpose of your kind gesture in the first place.

occationally irritates me. courtesy seems lost these days....

i don't expect them to return the favor, but it seems like the right thing to do.... irritates me more when going into a restaurant and they get a table first after holding the door

Edited by Bier Meister

Not to hijack but I deal with a similar situation at work and I get nailed on this a lot ..It enrages me..When I get on an elevator and I am first on there then a big group gets on I always let women off the elevator first before me if they are getting off at the same floor..What happens sometimes is I get on the elevator then a competitor of mine or a non competing salesperson gets on the elevator with us..Eventhough I was on first and technically could get off first I let the woman go..These douschbags piggyback the woman and get out before me therefore getting to the receptionist first and if they are there to see the same person as me I have to wait when I technically could have been first :D

Edited by whomper

That is the price we pay to spread the word.

Im spreading the word to the woman..Not the scumbag who knows I am getting off to see the same person that he is so he runs behind the woman...

I've been opening and holding doors for 40+ years and I don't give a rat's a$$ what anybody does or doesn't do for me. I am spreading good will and don't require any thrown in my direction.

Bingo ...fully agree with this ...being nice is simply being nice with nothing in return to be expected

I've been opening and holding doors for 40+ years and I don't give a rat's a$$ what anybody does or doesn't do for me. I am spreading good will and don't require any thrown in my direction.

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. Goodness counteracts global warming.

If you are courteous enough to hold the door open for someone you shouldn't expect reciprocation, seeing as you are trying to be selfless with the initial gesture. If you are doing it because you expect a return courtesy, then you defeat the whole purpose of your kind gesture in the first place.

I'm not expecting reciprocation per se but just seeing how someone will act after a small courtesy. I also see the "defeating the whole purpose" side. There just needs to be more OLD STYLE values retained in todays society, which if that was the case, we would expect nothing in return for that gesture, knowing down the road it will be returned to you one day. I'm nice to people in general anyway because of the way my mom and grandparents raised me..

And yes, women always get off the elevator first, it has its advantages.. :D

see, when people do others a favor nowadays when walking in public, they look at it like they are being a b!tch....

for instance, a month ago I recall walking on the streets and a later-teenage couple (male and female) were walking side by side and the male sidestepped behind his girl to give me the path as the walkway was slim...

after I passed, I overheard her question why he sidestepped me for and why he was "being a b!tch"...

and this is what I notice nowadays...the generation being brought up now thinks that when they hold the door for someone, move out the way or show any sign of respect.....they mistake that for showing fear and "being a bitch"...

when I hold the door for someone....I actually don't want to hear a thank you....and I don't think I should as this should be commonplace in the world and looked at as if someone opened a can of soda or were to read a newspaper...