[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Alex Smith - I am wondering if he has a solid second half this year

SpinalTapp

Discuss....will be put up Top 10 QB numbers for just the second half of the year?

Yeah this is :D but I can see him salvaging his season. He doesn't have many very difficult matchups the rest of the way until CAR and TB.

Him and Davis were just starting to get something going before Davis was injured. He was the intended receiver on 3 passes (1 rec, 31yds) in the first series of the game. Also, this injury was hardly Davis just being injury prone. It was a direct shot to the knee. I doubt any player would've escaped a hit like that without a trip to the trainer's table.

Might've been just a coincidence but in the previous PIT offensive series, Ward went down with his knee injury.

EDIT to add: I was very wrong about SF's offense before this season too. Completely inept play calling, underachieving WRs and OL, and injuries to the OL and Davis would definitely do that. I knew they would've been better off with Turner but I didn't think the play calling would be so inept.

Edited by kingfish247

bush - it is a question meant to generate discussion, not meant to indicate my personal belief. I genuinely want to see how others view ASmith's potential for the rest of this season.

OK.

San Francisco is last in the NFL in total yards per game and points scored. I see no reason to expect a big turnaround.

After 27 starts, Alex Smith has a career QB rating of 65.7 and 40.8 for the season before his injury. I see no reason to expect a major improvement.

Therefore, I don't think it is very likely he will put up top 10 QB numbers for the rest of the season.

He wont be a top 10 QB the rest of the way, he will be THE top QB the rest of the way! :D

Okay, now I have to be serious....does have the ability, YES...he was a #1 overall pick for a reason (and keep in mind, he was a YOUNG #1 draft pick, 21 at the time, so he probably will develop a litle slower than other QB's). I guarantee you while he has been injured it has been rehab, film room, rehab, film room.....he is a very smart QB (he graduated college in 3 years with a very high GPA) and a file junkie...if he doesnt ultimately succeed in this league, it wont be because he wasnt prepared...

I think he has a chance to be a sleeper the second half...getting Lelie more involved to stretch defenses will help...will he be top 10 the rest of the way, probably not, but he may be worth a pickup if you need a QB for some bye week/injury concerns..

OK.

San Francisco is last in the NFL in total yards per game and points scored. I see no reason to expect a big turnaround.

After 27 starts, Alex Smith has a career QB rating of 65.7 and 40.8 for the season before his injury. I see no reason to expect a major improvement.

Therefore, I don't think it is very likely he will put up top 10 QB numbers EVER

yup. I think Alex Smith is very close to being a major bust. Dude doesn't have it

No way, Swerski was wrong about something!??! Sorry, gotta jab.

This year, no. Next year, Davis will mature both as player and as an option with Smith. Jackson, Hill, and Lelie (if he's still around) should play with Smith a little better. It has been my contention since the offseason that this is going to be a transition year for the 49er's passing game while they get used to each other. Smith still has talent, but that offense just has not gelled at all. Better luck next year.

As opposed to you, who is wrong about almost everything. I'm still waiting for your boy Hackett to step up and lead the Seahawks in receiving. :D

To review. The things we have argued over. Briggs, Samuel, Jackson, Branch. I was wrong about one. Dead wrong. The others I was absolutely RIGHT ON about. The one that I was wrong about is currently killing both teams, and has proven to be one of the worst moves in the history of the franchise. I honestly didn't know Ruskell had it in him to make such a horrible move. My bad.

So that makes you wrong 4 times out of five issues. Is my math wrong??

To review. The things we have argued over. Briggs, Samuel, Jackson, Branch. I was wrong about one. Dead wrong. The others I was absolutely RIGHT ON about. The one that I was wrong about is currently killing both teams, and has proven to be one of the worst moves in the history of the franchise. I honestly didn't know Ruskell had it in him to make such a horrible move. My bad.

So that makes you wrong 4 times out of five issues. Is my math wrong??

No, your memory is wrong. I never claimed that Samuel WOULD hold out into the season or be dealt. I merely said that it was possible. I don't recall exactly what I said about Briggs.

You, of course, were dead wrong about D-Jax and are wrong again about it being "one of the worst moves in the history of the franchise" (unless you're confusing him with Hutchinson). Most rational people here also agree that you were wrong about Branch not being an effective #1 wideout. And barring a minor miracle, you'll be wrong once again about Hackett leading the Seahawks in receiving (for somebody who is supposedly an NFL analyst, you should know that high ankle sprains can take 6+ weeks to heal).

Edited by Bill Swerski

No, your memory is wrong. I never claimed that Samuel WOULD hold out into the season or be dealt. I merely said that it was possible. I don't recall exactly what I said about Briggs.

You, of course, were dead wrong about D-Jax and are wrong again about it being "one of the worst moves in the history of the franchise" (unless you're confusing him with Hutchinson). Most rational people here also agree that you were wrong about Branch not being an effective #1 wideout. And barring a minor miracle, you'll be wrong once again about Hackett leading the Seahawks in receiving (for somebody who is supposedly an NFL analyst, you should know that high ankle sprains can take 6+ weeks to heal).

:D

You claimed that Samuel and Briggs would be stories to watch out for and could have a large impact. I told you quite simply that these were complete non-stories and you jumped all over my ass. Well, they definitely were not stories. So I am wrong??

Most rational people here don't watch Deion Branch play every week. Effective #1? You're serious?? Get real.

Hackett will still end there. What is he, like 6 catches behind Branch?? He will score way more TD's than Egram and have more yards, although Engram will beat him in catches.

The Jackson trade was "one of the worst moves in the history of the franchise": The Hutch move severely hurt the chances of this team being elite, the Jackson move all but ended them. What a disaster. I take full blame for being wrong on this issue, but the fact that it is such a horrible trade has made me question the move even more. What the heck were they thinking!?!? Horrible move. Just horrible. I just can't convince myself that such a terrible move could be made. Why would you take a very good team, a passing team at that, and give away the #1 WR for nothing. A joke, one that Holmgren still is so pissed off about he won't talk about it. I digress, you were correct, Ruskell cares so much more about smiling than winning that you saw the move coming and I just couldn't. Congrats.

Ok, back to Alex Smith. Let's get serious, the guy just isn't all that good. He shows no poise in the pocket and is horribly inaccurate when he gets time. He is better than Losman, but at no point in his career will he be a pro-bowler.

Edited by Seahawks21

You claimed that Samuel and Briggs would be stories to watch out for and could have a large impact. I told you quite simply that these were complete non-stories and you jumped all over my ass. Well, they definitely were not stories. So I am wrong??

They certainly were big stories in New England and Chicago.

Most rational people here don't watch Deion Branch play every week. Effective #1? You're serious?? Get real.

I can name at least two Seahawks fans here who (1) watch Branch play every week and (2) think that you're full of crap. Several Patriots fans, who watched Branch play for years, have also opined that you're full of crap.

Hackett will still end there. What is he, like 6 catches behind Branch?? He will score way more TD's than Egram and have more yards, although Engram will beat him in catches.

Yeah, Hackett is only 370-some yards behind both Branch and Engram right now. I'm sure he'll eliminate that gap in, like, two weeks. :D And with Branch coming back after the bye AND Burleson playing reasonably well right now, he's not even a lock to get his job back. I'd actually love to be wrong about this since I just picked Hackett up off of waivers, but it's going to take serious injuries to both Branch and Engram for Hackett to lead the Seahawks in receiving yards.

The Jackson trade was "one of the worst moves in the history of the franchise": The Hutch move severely hurt the chances of this team being elite, the Jackson move all but ended them. What a disaster. I take full blame for being wrong on this issue, but the fact that it is such a horrible trade has made me question the move even more. What the heck were they thinking!?!? Horrible move. Just horrible. I just can't convince myself that such a terrible move could be made. Why would you take a very good team, a passing team at that, and give away the #1 WR for nothing. A joke, one that Holmgren still is so pissed off about he won't talk about it. I digress, you were correct, Ruskell cares so much more about smiling than winning that you saw the move coming and I just couldn't. Congrats.

(1) Jackson was unhappy about his contract. He even took the time to express those feelings with a marker on his cleats.

(2) Jackson has difficulty staying healthy (and even fakes injuries when he's unhappy about his contract).

(3) While Jackson might be a better wideout than Branch, he's not signficantly better. And with Hackett emerging as a potential future #1, Jackson's long-term value to Seattle was even less.

(4) The Seahawks spent a bunch of money on Branch and Burleson last year and went into this season with D-Jax, Branch, Hackett, Engram, Burleson, and Obomanu fighting for four spots. Even if we accept the premise that Burleson should be relegated to special teams, that's still a large excess of WR talent.

Agreed that trading Jackson to a divisional rival for next to nothing was not a smart move, but he was very clearly the odd man out. That was obvious after the Branch signing and Hackett's sometimes-exceptional play last season. While D-Jax and Hass had great chemistry, they weren't exactly Manning-to-Harrison or Young-to-Rice and the resulting WR corps of Branch/Hackett/Engram/Burleson/Obomanu doesn't even begin to compare to the irreparable damage that losing Hutch did to the running game.

I just wrote 1000 words about how wrong you are about most of these issues, but you just aren't worth it. Some people don't get it and never will. It is funny, however, that when I was in Boston over the summer, the one radio show I listened to was talking about the Samuel case, and basically the jock could have used my post as a reference, as he brought up just about every single point that I had made. When they took calls, the fans had the opinion that Samuel was just speaking out because it was all he could do, and he would end up being franchised just like the million guys before him. Do you think they had to use 2000 point font for the size of that story!??!

All I ask... is don't jump my ass when I am perfectly right, and if you do, bring something to the table other than namecalling. I like your last post here. Some theories are a little misguided but for the most part you tried to bring some relevant info. I'm proud of you!!

I just wrote 1000 words about how wrong you are about most of these issues, but you just aren't worth it. Some people don't get it and never will. It is funny, however, that when I was in Boston over the summer, the one radio show I listened to was talking about the Samuel case, and basically the jock could have used my post as a reference, as he brought up just about every single point that I had made. When they took calls, the fans had the opinion that Samuel was just speaking out because it was all he could do, and he would end up being franchised just like the million guys before him. Do you think they had to use 2000 point font for the size of that story!??!

All I ask... is don't jump my ass when I am perfectly right, and if you do, bring something to the table other than namecalling. I like your last post here. Some theories are a little misguided but for the most part you tried to bring some relevant info. I'm proud of you!!

The fact that you work as a beat writer or whatever for some Daily Bugle in Nowheresville, WA doesn't make you an NFL expert. Nor does the fact that you have zero credibility here and most people who bother to respond to your posts think that you're woefully ignorant. Your demeanor here (especially the PM where you threatened to beat me up :D ) also suggests that you're too immature to be anybody important in the world of sports journalism.

Have fun mowing John Clayton's lawn this weekend.

I wouldn't want Smith starting for any of my fantasy teams, but as a Gore owner, I'll take anything over Trent "I broke 100" Dilfer.

I wouldn't want Smith as the starter for my team, period. I just don't like the way he plays the position, and I am convinced he doesn't have the skills to be a good QB in the leaugue, and is on his way to bustville IMO.

Obviously better than Dilfer who is an assistant coach taking snaps.

Smith looks like a career backup to me. This isn't the MWC.