[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Jury returns with +$10 Million award against military funeral pickets

Randall

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21566280/

BALTIMORE - A grieving father won a nearly $11 million verdict Wednesday against a fundamentalist Kansas church that pickets military funerals out of a belief that the war in Iraq is a punishment for the nation's tolerance of homosexuality.

Albert Snyder of York, Pa., sued the Westboro Baptist Church for unspecified damages after members demonstrated at the March 2006 funeral of his son, Lance Cpl. Matthew Snyder, who was killed in Iraq.

The jury first awarded $2.9 million in compensatory damages. It returned in the afternoon with its decision to award $6 million in punitive damages for invasion of privacy and $2 million for causing emotional distress.

Snyder's attorney, Craig Trebilcock, had urged jurors to determine an amount "that says don't do this in Maryland again. Do not bring your circus of hate to Maryland again."

Church members routinely picket funerals of military personnel killed in Iraq and Afghanistan, carrying signs such as "Thank God for dead soldiers" and "God hates fags."

A number of states have passed laws regarding funeral protests, and Congress has passed a law prohibiting such protests at federal cemeteries. But the Maryland lawsuit is believed to be the first filed by the family of a fallen serviceman.

The church and three of its leaders — the Rev. Fred Phelps and his two daughters, Shirley Phelps-Roper and Rebecca Phelps-Davis, 46 — were found liable for invasion of privacy and intent to inflict emotional distress.

Award 'exceeds the net worth' of defendants

Even the size of the award for compensating damages alone "far exceeds the net worth of the defendants," according to financial statements filed with the court, U.S. District Judge Richard Bennett noted.

Snyder claimed the protests intruded upon what should have been a private ceremony and sullied his memory of the event.

The church members testified they are following their religious beliefs by spreading the message that soldiers are dying because the nation is too tolerant of homosexuality.

If ever a verdict is likely to be overturned, this is it. Much as I despise these people, the First Amendment is going to win this one.

I thought about that...

But is a funeral a public event?

Is specific speech being discriminated against if a law outlaws all picketing at a funeral?

If ever a verdict is likely to be overturned, this is it. Much as I despise these people, the First Amendment is going to win this one.

What about the protection of people's privacy? Seems like this is gray area...

not so sure........

U.S. District Court Judge Richard Bennett instructed jurors at the start of testimony Tuesday that the First Amendment protection of free speech has limits, including vulgar, offensive and shocking statements. Bennett said the jurors must decide "whether the defendant's actions would be highly offensive to a reasonable person, whether they were extreme and outrageous, and whether these actions were so offensive and shocking as to not be entitled to First Amendment protection."

not so sure........

Ah...the reasonable, prudent person understanding of the law. To me, yes, protection of people's free speech is key. But at some point, when it becomes hateful and misguided, they need to be curtailed to protect the other party involved.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21566280/

BALTIMORE - A grieving father won a nearly $11 million verdict Wednesday against a fundamentalist Kansas church that pickets military funerals out of a belief that the war in Iraq is a punishment for the nation's tolerance of homosexuality.

Albert Snyder of York, Pa., sued the Westboro Baptist Church for unspecified damages after members demonstrated at the March 2006 funeral of his son, Lance Cpl. Matthew Snyder, who was killed in Iraq.

The jury first awarded $2.9 million in compensatory damages. It returned in the afternoon with its decision to award $6 million in punitive damages for invasion of privacy and $2 million for causing emotional distress.

Snyder's attorney, Craig Trebilcock, had urged jurors to determine an amount "that says don't do this in Maryland again. Do not bring your circus of hate to Maryland again."

Church members routinely picket funerals of military personnel killed in Iraq and Afghanistan, carrying signs such as "Thank God for dead soldiers" and "God hates fags."

A number of states have passed laws regarding funeral protests, and Congress has passed a law prohibiting such protests at federal cemeteries. But the Maryland lawsuit is believed to be the first filed by the family of a fallen serviceman.

The church and three of its leaders — the Rev. Fred Phelps and his two daughters, Shirley Phelps-Roper and Rebecca Phelps-Davis, 46 — were found liable for invasion of privacy and intent to inflict emotional distress.

Award 'exceeds the net worth' of defendants

Even the size of the award for compensating damages alone "far exceeds the net worth of the defendants," according to financial statements filed with the court, U.S. District Judge Richard Bennett noted.

Snyder claimed the protests intruded upon what should have been a private ceremony and sullied his memory of the event.

The church members testified they are following their religious beliefs by spreading the message that soldiers are dying because the nation is too tolerant of homosexuality.

I have heard of this Westboro group before and (for the life of me) cant get my head around how some people can be that soul-less and ignorant. If I were at a funeral and these maggots showed up, I would find it VERY difficult to keep from attacking them. My heart goes out to the families who have had to endure these protests on top of the loss of a loved one.

Hell will not be hot enough for Fred Phelps and his sick followers.

Ah...the reasonable, prudent person understanding of the law. To me, yes, protection of people's free speech is key. But at some point, when it becomes hateful and misguided, they need to be curtailed to protect the other party involved.

It is called Time, Place, and Manner restrictions. USSC has restricted lots of speech. The way I see it, the only way these kooks win on appeal is if the USSC actually declares their speech protected. At least these crazies have Justice Alito in their pocket....ALAS.

I thought about that...

But is a funeral a public event?

Is specific speech being discriminated against if a law outlaws all picketing at a funeral?

What about the protection of people's privacy? Seems like this is gray area...

not so sure........

Y'all have a point - except I don't think "misguided" could ever be banned. Dunno.......not as obvious as it seemed earlier. I would personally enjoy setting fire to these people one by one but anything that curtails rights under the First has to be really well thought through, whatever the nature of the speech involved.

Are you sure this article is not from The Onion?

I mean, the attorney fighting against the side that thinks we are being punished for allowing homosexuality is named Trebilcock?

Edited by Controller

Many states have passed non-protest laws dealing with funerals in general. In South Dakota you can not protest 1/2 hour before to 1/2 hour after all services are scheduled to start, or within 500 yards this includes the procession to the cemetery. It was the whole yelling fire in a crowded theater. Unnecessary.

Once the funeral is advertised in an obituary or funeral notice on the radio or newspaper it is a public event with anyone welcome. I inform families that once you publiize the time and you don't want certain people (mistresses, ex-wives, estranged family in general) there, you must hire your own security to ask those people to leave, but they don't have to as long as they conduct themselves in a proper manner.

I am just tickled that this has happened to them. They are all attorneys and they make their money by being assaulted during their protests and suing people.

It is called Time, Place, and Manner restrictions. USSC has restricted lots of speech. The way I see it, the only way these kooks win on appeal is if the USSC actually declares their speech protected. At least these crazies have Justice Alito in their pocket....ALAS.

Agree! Ya still can't yell "FIRE!" in a crowded event.

Sic the dogs on them.

i have no doubt that has been and will continue to be a key peg of their defense, but i don't see this as really being a first amendment issue. the jury held that phelps invaded their privacy and intentially inflicted emotional distress. the first amendment protects you from the government censoring your speech....it doesn't exempt you from liability for damage your speech causes to others, except in a few rare circumstances (like the jerry falwell, hustler magazine case, where the court specifically made exception because fallwell was a public figure). if the first amendment was a general bar, i don't think there would be ANY intentional infliction of emotional distress cases that would survive that challenge, because almost all of them are directly tied to actions that could be considered "speech".

i have no doubt that has been and will continue to be a key peg of their defense, but i don't see this as really being a first amendment issue. the jury held that phelps invaded their privacy and intentially inflicted emotional distress. the first amendment protects you from the government censoring your speech....it doesn't exempt you from liability for damage your speech causes to others, except in a few rare circumstances (like the jerry falwell, hustler magazine case, where the court specifically made exception because fallwell was a public figure). if the first amendment was a general bar, i don't think there would be ANY intentional infliction of emotional distress cases that would survive that challenge, because almost all of them are directly tied to actions that could be considered "speech".

You converted me. Whatever, if these pigs are made bankrupt, so much the better.