[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Colts - Conservative play calling cost them the game

ThatDude

When the Colts took the ball after the Pats got the game to a 3 point difference the Colts played too conservative in my opinion. They ended up giving the ball back to the Pats with like 4 minutes and of course they scored. The Colts are a better team in my opinion but conservative play calling at the end cost them.

When the Colts took the ball after the Pats got the game to a 3 point difference the Colts played too conservative in my opinion. They ended up giving the ball back to the Pats with like 4 minutes and of course they scored. The Colts are a better team in my opinion but conservative play calling at the end cost them.

they lost, the better team won the game

The Colts lost because of that holding penalty and the offsides in the drive when they could have iced it..Hats off to the Pats for those awesome 4th quarter drives but the Colts had them dead to rights and couldnt finish..The drive before the one that gave the Pats the ball with 3 and change was the killer..2 penalties and a dropped ball..

I disagree. The Colts were the better team but lost

As a disinterested (Non-Fan) of either team, I found that they are 2 evenly matched teams with Manning really missing Harrison or Gonzalez or that 2nd option at WR, that Morehead guy is worthless against a good Def like NE. I thought NE just had that extra weapon, Welker, that Indy did not. I was of the beleif prior to the game, NE was significantly better but left the game that they are not measureably better just better today IMO due to Indy being down key guys. Congrats to NE but expect to see Indy again as the rest of the NFL seem to struggle to give either team a good game. I have a suspicion they will see each other again. And it may be ironic that in a cold snowy day in Foxborough the weather may favor Indy as NE running game is poor.

I disagree. The Colts were the better team but lost

Wonder how the better team..........

........at home

........with a 10 point lead in the 4th quarter

........getting numerous calls from the refs spotting them great field postition

Loses :D

Maybe the answer is a simple as the Pats are the better team. FACE IT and move on !

Edited by theeohiostate

Wonder how the better team..........

........at home

........with a 10 point lead in the 4th quarter

........getting numerous calls from the refs spotting them great field postition

Loses :D

Maybe the answer is a simple as the Pats are the better team. FACE IT and move on !

TOS quick question for you...can you take a look at your Ref Cam and let me know if that was truly holding by NE on that Stallworth pass completion :D

As a disinterested (Non-Fan) of either team, I found that they are 2 evenly matched teams with Manning really missing Harrison or Gonzalez or that 2nd option at WR, that Morehead guy is worthless against a good Def like NE. I thought NE just had that extra weapon, Welker, that Indy did not. I was of the beleif prior to the game, NE was significantly better but left the game that they are not measureably better just better today IMO due to Indy being down key guys. Congrats to NE but expect to see Indy again as the rest of the NFL seem to struggle to give either team a good game. I have a suspicion they will see each other again. And it may be ironic that in a cold snowy day in Foxborough the weather may favor Indy as NE running game is poor.

Yeah, how bad do they miss Stokely now? The Colts did exactly what they wanted to do, control the ball with the running game and keep Brady, Moss et al off the field. Unfortunately Manning couldn't ice the game, and turned the ball over. No doubt these are the two top teams in the NFL, the Pats were just the better team today.

Meh, I don't think it was conservative play-calling. They were short-handed, especially after Gonzo left, but they were still making plays. Moorehead doesn't scare anybody, and the Pats had Dallas Clark locked up today. Wayne dropped a couple he should have had, especially the third down play which was ANYTHING but conservative.

pats deserved to win. they played a better all-around game.

Meh, I don't think it was conservative play-calling. They were short-handed, especially after Gonzo left, but they were still making plays. Moorehead doesn't scare anybody, and the Pats had Dallas Clark locked up today. Wayne dropped a couple he should have had, especially the third down play which was ANYTHING but conservative.

pats deserved to win. they played a better all-around game.

Yep..He had someone wide open for the first down on that play but took a shot at Wayne..Cant kill him for that but Wayne did have some costly drops

Not trying to slam anybody individually or trying to really start something, I just wonder if we would have seen guys handle a defeat today the way Whomper and Hook and some notable others have if the score had been reversed.

Classy, gentlemen, nice job on what must be a difficult day for the home team. :D

Not trying to slam anybody individually or trying to really start something, I just wonder if we would have seen guys handle a defeat today the way Whomper and Hook and some notable others have if the score had been reversed.

Classy, gentlemen, nice job on what must be a difficult day for the home team. :D

The team they root for are still the defending champs and 7-1. Not a lot to complain about.

Conservative? Welcome to Billick country.

If you play not to lose, you play not to win. We get that a lot in Baltimore.

Frankly I think the Colts and the Pats are two of the best teams I've ever seen, and as closely matched as I've ever seen.

No one mentioned that when the Colts had the momentum in the 1st half they settled for 2 field goals after marching on the Pats. Hats off to the Pats they bent but didnt break.

IMO these are two equally matched teams and the Pats just played better. Wayne didnt show up but Addai sure did.

Great game!

Pats were the better team but I think if they played 10 times it would be a 5-5 tie. Both these teams are insane.

No one mentioned that when the Colts had the momentum in the 1st half they settled for 2 field goals after marching on the Pats. Hats off to the Pats they bent but didnt break.

IMO these are two equally matched teams and the Pats just played better. Wayne didnt show up but Addai sure did.

Great game!

Pats were the better team but I think if they played 10 times it would be a 5-5 tie. Both these teams are insane.

It would be a 5-5 tie if Bellichek coached both teams...

Absolutely. Of course, it didn't help that Anthony Gonzalez got stripped on a TD reception in the endzone. Nor did it help that Gonzalez didn't got hurt and missed almost all of the second half.

While I could blame the Colts D for giving up two TDs in the fourth quarter, they played as well as could be reasonably expected for the first three and, frankly, they're not the strength of the team. There are maybe two Pro Bowl caliber players on the Colts D (Freeney and Sanders), along with a few good-but-not-great players (Brackett, Mathis, Bethea). What did them in during the second half was their inability to sustain drives after Belichick stacked his D against the run. And while Peyton and Reggie didn't have their best games, injuries and the resulting matchups are what really did them in. You're not going to sustain drives with Aaron Moorehead lined up at flanker against Asante Samuel or Charlie Johnson lined up at LT against Richard Seymour/Roosevelt Colvin. It got to the point where doubling Wayne and putting Rodney Harrison on Clark was all that the Pats needed to shut down the passing game.

I disagree that the teams are evenly-matched. Even if the Colts offense was fully-healthy, the Pats are still way better on defense - not only personnel-wise, but also in terms of coaching. The Colts put up what was easily their best defensive performance of the year over the first three quarters and I was shocked that they were up 20-10 in the 4th. NOBODY expected them to hold the Pats offense like that. They caught NE off guard and were en route to the upset... and then blew it. It's a tough pill to swallow. I just hope that they forget about it quickly and are able to overcome a tough matchup against a very dangerous Chargers team next weekend.

Edited by Bill Swerski

Absolutely. Of course, it didn't help that Anthony Gonzalez got stripped on a TD reception in the endzone. Nor did it help that Gonzalez didn't got hurt and missed almost all of the second half.

While I could blame the Colts D for giving up two TDs in the fourth quarter, they played as well as could be reasonably expected for the first three and, frankly, they're not the strength of the team. There are maybe two Pro Bowl caliber players on the Colts D (Freeney and Sanders), along with a few good-but-not-great players (Brackett, Mathis, Bethea). What did them in during the second half was their inability to sustain drives after Belichick stacked his D against the run. And while Peyton and Reggie didn't have their best games, injuries and the resulting matchups are what really did them in. You're not going to sustain drives with Aaron Moorehead lined up at flanker against Asante Samuel or Charlie Johnson lined up at LT against Richard Seymour/Roosevelt Colvin. It got to the point where doubling Wayne and putting Rodney Harrison on Clark was all that the Pats needed to shut down the passing game.

I disagree that the teams are evenly-matched. Even if the Colts offense was fully-healthy, the Pats are still way better on defense - not only personnel-wise, but also in terms of coaching. The Colts put up what was easily their best defensive performance of the year over the first three quarters and I was shocked that they were up 20-10 in the 4th. NOBODY expected them to hold the Pats offense like that. They caught NE off guard and were en route to the upset... and then blew it. It's a tough pill to swallow. I just hope that they forget about it quickly and are able to overcome a tough matchup against a very dangerous Chargers team next weekend.

Frankly Bill I think you under-rate the IND defense, they've played much better teams than NE.

The offense lost the game, not the defense, IMHO.

You know my feelings on IND but man they have one heckuva a team. With a healthy, active Harrison...

Edited by Gdawg

Frankly Bill I think you under-rate the IND defense, they've played much better teams than NE.

The Pats D has been a non-factor all season because their offense has put them up 30-40 points per game. But they're a much more talented (and better-coached) unit and they tend to step up big-time when it counts. There's MUCH more talent on NE's defense. It's not even close. Outside of safety, NE kicks the crap out of the Colts on D...

Seymour > Freeney

Warren > Mathis

Wilfork/Seymour >> Brock/Johnson

Bruschi/Vrabel/Seau >> Brackett

Thomas/Colvin >> Keiaho (who didn't even play today)

Vrabel >>> Boiman

Samuel > Jackson

Hobbs > Hayden

Sanders >/= Harrison

Bethea > (whoever subbed for Wilson)

Belichick > Dungy

The offense lost the game, not the defense, IMHO.

I agree. They need to get healthy if they're going to beat them in the playoffs.