[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Henry...up in smoke.....

BumpNRun

I'd drop him now anyway. He has a partially torn PCL, and I guarantee it's worse than the team is letting on. They just keep telling the media that Henry is a game time decision because they want to disrupt their opponent's game plan. At least, that's what I'd guess... I'd actually find it amusing to see one of my opponents pick up Travis Henry after I dropped him. It would bring a smile to my face knowing that he is wasting on of his roster spots.

No Henry announcement today

11/20/2007There will be no announcement on a ruling on Travis Henry's appeal hearing today, meaning the running back will likely be available to face the Bears on Sunday if healthy.

Couldn't they annouce he is suspended tomorrow? Why was it necessary to announce a decision today and assumed that he'll now be able to play this Sunday?

Saw this today:

Link

Source: Travis Henry May Win Appeal

Last Edited: Monday, 19 Nov 2007, 6:07 PM MST

Created: Monday, 19 Nov 2007, 6:07 PM MST

Broncos running back Travis Henry

SideBar

Related Items

Links

Denver Sports Insider Blog

Stories

Henry Confident After Appeal Hearing

Shanahan Standing By Henry

RSS Feeds & Widgets AddThis Social Bookmark Button

By JOSINA ANDERSON, FOX 31 Sports

DENVER - Just four days after Denver Broncos Running Back Travis Henry participated in a hearing to fight the results of a positive Josh Gordon test, a source with first-hand knowledge of the situation said they believe Henry has a chance at winning his appeal on a technicality.

“He’s got a shot to win this. They [the National Football League] f****d up,” said the inside source.

Last Friday, at the downtown Hyatt in Phoenix Arizona, lawyers defended Henry’s case in his requested appeal hearing.

Prior to the appeal hearing, Henry’s lawyers asked the League to turn over all documents related to Henry’s latest positive test result that existed two weeks prior to, and two weeks after the actual test, the source said.

“Henry’s lawyers asked [the League] ‘is this all?’ They were told ‘yes.’ They asked again, ‘is this all?’ They were told, ‘yes.’ Well it was not all,” the source revealed.

The same source said -to their knowledge- it was unknown that there were un-produced materials in the discovery process prior to the appeal.

The source said this miscue may be enough to allow the hearing officer to rule in Henry’s favor, and thereby result in the Broncos running back escaping a one-year suspension.

“It’s an issue of fairness. If the players are held to a strict stance, everybody else has to abide by the same policy.”

“Did it have an effect? Maybe, or maybe not. The fact is, it could have potentially affected his case.”

This sentiment comes despite the fact that Henry tested positive for Josh Gordon with a result of 21ng/ml. The League’s benchmark is 15ng/ml.

When asked if the hearing officer might recommend a shorter suspension as a compromise, given the lack of complete discovery, the source expressed doubt.

“My guess is that it’s going to be all or nothing,” they said. “I don’t think that the hearing officer has the power to modify the suspension [length].”

“The only reason why [Henry] would have a favorable ruling is because of that screw up.”

On November 12th, Broncos head coach Mike Shanahan defended the innocence of his starting running back after announcing that Henry had passed both a lie detector and hair sample test.

However, the source does not believe the team-scheduled tests will have any bearing on the hearing officer’s decision.

According to the source, the line of questioning from the lie detector test was introduced as evidence during the appeal hearing, but it was not impressive.

“There were questions like…‘did you smoke a Josh Gordon joint between these such and such dates?”

“What’s wrong with that? It doesn’t ask you if you smoked the Josh Gordon from a bong or a pipe,” answered the inside source.

“The question should have been, did you knowingly ingest Josh Gordon,” explained the source.

“There is a reason why the League doesn’t use hair sample tests and lie detector tests; they’re not reliable,” opined the source.

Henry has said that a decision on his appeal is expected as early as Tuesday.

Calls to Henry’s lawyers were not immediately returned for this report.

I would just hate to drop him and then he is given the green light to play as he is the starter....even with the minimal tear....

As everyone saw, anyone can run in that scheme and behind that O Line.....My RB's have been my weekest link since Ronnie went down, Travis has been next to nothing since week 6 or before, and Willie Parker cant seem to find the end zone.....

What to do, what to do? :D

I would just hate to drop him and then he is given the green light to play as he is the starter....even with the minimal tear....

As everyone saw, anyone can run in that scheme and behind that O Line.....My RB's have been my weekest link since Ronnie went down, Travis has been next to nothing since week 6 or before, and Willie Parker cant seem to find the end zone.....

What to do, what to do? :D

I had to finally cut him in my family league. Just couldnt take it anymore. I am tied for first in that league and I had to stop thinking I could count on him. With only 5 bench spots he had to go!

DENVER - Just four days after Denver Broncos Running Back Travis Henry participated in a hearing to fight the results of a positive Josh Gordon test, a source with first-hand knowledge of the situation said they believe Henry has a chance at winning his appeal on a technicality.

Reeks of desperation. I think there's a possibility he gets off but when Henry's side keeps leaking this type of info or hyping up other tests, it just all seems so desperate leading me to believe that Henry is in trouble.

This ain't the American judicial system where you might actually be able to get a favorable ruling based on misuse or errors in discovery. This is the CBA between private parties! Even in the judicial system it's no guarantee you'll "win" a case on a discovery technicality.

I don't think he will win the appeal on a tech. I feel he is done. Especially with the Commishs history so far and hard stances.......but the what if factor remains...and he is a bonifide starter even though he is nursing his knee....which kills s. Young if he stays around......

They should decide and get on with it already...the iorny here is I had R. Brown, who got hurt. Henry who smoked it up, and I just dropped K. Smith to pick up LJ Smith on a whim...the whim didnt work cause....D. McNabb got hurt....needless to say I have re dropped LJ Smith......

I have always been very active on the WW in a Deep league with deep rosters as we play 10 and bench 10.....but this year is ridiculus....I bet cha next years FF draft's will be quite different.....

And thanks for all the feedback

Found this on another board - not sure of the source.

Shanahan expects word on Henry soon

Travis Henry, RB DEN

News: The Broncos expect to hear this week whether RB Travis Henry will be suspended for a year by Commissioner Roger Goodell for failing a drug test in September. Henry has appealed the result of the test and sued the NFL to remain eligible, but he's missed several games with an assortment of leg and rib injuries. "I would think that something would come down tomorrow, but I'm not positive. I haven't been told anything," coach Mike Shanahan said Monday.

Analysis: Between he, Selvin Young and Andre Hall, Henry stands the least chance of starting Week 13 for a dandy of a matchup at Oakland. Fantasy owners have been waiting for word on Henry's suspension for the last few weeks, as they really just want the green light to cut him at this point. Even if he doesn't get suspended, the partially torn posterior cruciate ligament in his left knee will likely make him inactive against the Raiders.

From CBS today...sounds like if he's not suspended (which it doesn't appear he will be at this point this week), he's playing:

Travis Henry, RB DEN

News: The Denver Post notes that another Tuesday has come and gone without Travis Henry being told of a suspension for violating the NFL's Substance Abuse Policy. While the NFL may make a decision on Henry at any time, they normally suspend players on Tuesdays. That said, Henry is expected to be available to play at Oakland in Week 13, and Henry believes his knee (partially torn left PCL) is strong enough for him to play. "I've got to get back on the field. I will definitely be ready this week," Henry said Monday.

Analysis: The Broncos will consider Henry as well as Selvin Young, who is reportedly recovered from a sprained knee, as well as first-year player Andre Hall, who filled in admirably at Chicago despite suffering a mild high-ankle sprain. We'll monitor how the Broncos' RB situation shakes out because whomever starts for them is expected to play well against Oakland's awful run defense. Stay tuned.

My opponent this week was able to scoop up Hall last week.

I'd like nothing more than to be able to start Young (over Morris or KJones) as we are tied, with one other team and seperated by 9 pnts, for the last 2 playoff spots.

Given the shape that Henry's been in, I'd actually consider starting Young even if Henry does play. Young will probably still see a significant amount of touches whether or not Henry starts. Besides, when is the last time Henry made it through a whole game? And from what I've read, Andre Hall appears to be out of the picture for this week.

From CBS today...sounds like if he's not suspended (which it doesn't appear he will be at this point this week), he's playing:

Travis Henry, RB DEN

News: The Denver Post notes that another Tuesday has come and gone without Travis Henry being told of a suspension for violating the NFL's Substance Abuse Policy. While the NFL may make a decision on Henry at any time, they normally suspend players on Tuesdays. That said, Henry is expected to be available to play at Oakland in Week 13, and Henry believes his knee (partially torn left PCL) is strong enough for him to play. "I've got to get back on the field. I will definitely be ready this week," Henry said Monday.

Analysis: The Broncos will consider Henry as well as Selvin Young, who is reportedly recovered from a sprained knee, as well as first-year player Andre Hall, who filled in admirably at Chicago despite suffering a mild high-ankle sprain. We'll monitor how the Broncos' RB situation shakes out because whomever starts for them is expected to play well against Oakland's awful run defense. Stay tuned.

Does anyone think this looks like more of the same old song and dance that's been going on with Henry since he hurt his knee? Has the team offered any opinions about his knee? All I see here is Henry saying he will be ready, but athletes ALWAYS they are ready.

Henry must have something remotely resembling a case. If he didn't, the NFL wouldn't be dragging their feet on this.

Meh -- They're probably getting a lot of pressure from the legion of "Travis Henry Impregnated Me" mommas out there to let him play so he can pay all those child support payments in between hanging out with pot smokers and inhaling all the second hand smoke he can find ... What a tragic waste in so many ways -- all because of Josh Gordon.

Fortunately, I stayed away from THenry and have stowed away Selvin and Andre at the end of a roster, so if the league does indeed hold him accountable for his actions, not only does it hopefully help finally straighten out THenry and provide a learning lesson to other athletes, it helps my depth -- win, win, win!

Does anyone think this looks like more of the same old song and dance that's been going on with Henry since he hurt his knee? Has the team offered any opinions about his knee? All I see here is Henry saying he will be ready, but athletes ALWAYS they are ready.

From the sound of your last two posts, it appears you are hoping Henry doens't play. Young/Hall owner, I presume?

I'm a Henry owner in one league and a Young/Hall owner in another, so I win (or lose depending on your perspective) either way. I'm just sick and tired of having players on my rosters that I would be foolish to start and foolish to drop. I'm a black and white kind of guy. Either a player is going to play or he's not. Having a player that's a game time decision for weeks on end just pisses me off. If it didn't, my four teams would be loaded with Patriots and I'd be out spending my championsip money instead of posting on a thread about a player that has been virtually useless all season anyway!

In other words, I'm not looking for a definitive answer on the suspension because of the suspension itself. I'm looking for a definitive answer on the suspension because it will spare me and every other person that owns a Broncos RB the weekly aggravation of wondering if Henry is going to start the game, finish the game, and actually DO something of note during the game!

So why don't I drop him? Because if he does have one studly game left in him, it will come when I play the guy that picked him up in the playoffs!

Edited by tomfin2000

From the sound of your last two posts, it appears you are hoping Henry doens't play. Young/Hall owner, I presume?

Broncos fan first and foremost, Young/Hall owner second. But I don't really care who plays this weekend. I was fortunate enough to squeak out a win last weekend to clinch my division and a first round bye in the playoffs. I get two weeks to cross my fingers that nobody gets hurt (and that the guys on my team who are hurt - Hackett, Coles, AP, Lynch, Young/Hall are healthy by week 15).

NFL Network's Adam Schefter reports Travis Henry is expected to learn of the league's decision about his one-year suspension within the next 24 hours.

Profootballtalk.com's Michael David Smith believes it will be hard for Henry to win his appeal considering the NFL's strict and clear rules on urine samples. It sounds like we'll finally get confirmation on the situation shortly.

Source: Profootballtalk.com