[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Dallas vs. GB - NFL Network

KOKIDKOKID

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just curious, (and this has probably been mentioned in some of the past discussions) but why does cable need to pass the cost on, when the satellite companies have not added any costs for the channel. I am on the poverty package with DISH and have NFL N.

DirecTV likes to consider Comcast the "Big Cable" industry, trying to soak up as much revenue as they can possibly manage. While this is a fine business standpoint, it is also a lackluster one in this situation. Comcast fails to realize that the market for football is enormous. Just ask ESPN who's paying $1.1 billion a year to host the MNF games. I'm sure Comcast's customer service is getting flooding (daily) with emails about their stance on offering NFL Network.

Just curious, (and this has probably been mentioned in some of the past discussions) but why does cable need to pass the cost on, when the satellite companies have not added any costs for the channel. I am on the poverty package with DISH and have NFL N.

The satellite companies are passing the cost on to the consumer. A quarter here, $.75 there, it might not be so obvious. They aren't going to pay $0.75/subscriber/month to NFLN without having the subscriber pay that $0.75/month + premium for being the company providing satellite.

I'm 90% sure that there will be a online stream like the ones I've posted for a couple other GB games and it should just work in WMP. I usually get the link about 15-30 minutes before game time.

The only concern is that I don't want to overload the stream, since more Huddlers than usual may be logging on. :D

Big issue being missed here is this - NFLN is charging cable companies about double or more than what other basic channels cost, then stating they should provide as part of basic services. Cable companies are stating "umm, charge the basic price, or charge a premium price and we'll premium tier it, or screw off"

What does fully annoy me is the NFL sold Sunday Ticket to Directv (and more importantly re-upped it behind closed doors) and thinks that's not a consumer affecting issue (almost all games not avail unless you go to their one selected partner for all your TV needs), yet now that they want everyone to have access to a few games, it is one. I find it stupid - allow any TV provider to have Sunday Ticket, then you can start bashing them over NFLN issues. As a diehard out of market Eagles fan, I'm essentially a pawn of DIrectTV on my needs....

Big issue being missed here is this - NFLN is charging cable companies about double or more than what other basic channels cost, then stating they should provide as part of basic services. .

Yes but 75 cents for it vs 40 cents for the food network or whatever is just cable company spin. How much does ESPN cost?

Big issue being missed here is this - NFLN is charging cable companies about double or more than what other basic channels cost, then stating they should provide as part of basic services. Cable companies are stating "umm, charge the basic price, or charge a premium price and we'll premium tier it, or screw off"

Not true. The freakin' Disney channel is $0.80/month. ESPN is currently a whopping $2.90/month/subscriber. However, I think NFLN should be more in line with ESPN2's $0.33/month/subscriber.

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/article/CA6316995.html

What does fully annoy me is the NFL sold Sunday Ticket to Directv (and more importantly re-upped it behind closed doors) and thinks that's not a consumer affecting issue (almost all games not avail unless you go to their one selected partner for all your TV needs), yet now that they want everyone to have access to a few games, it is one. I find it stupid - allow any TV provider to have Sunday Ticket, then you can start bashing them over NFLN issues. As a diehard out of market Eagles fan, I'm essentially a pawn of DIrectTV on my needs....

Sunday Ticket only on DirecTV is here to stay. Plenty of my friends complain that it should be available on all cable/satellite companies. That's not going to happen. The NFL won't do it b/c then it won't have the bargaining power to charge billions to FOX, CBS, ESPN, and NBC. Those companies are paying billions for exclusivity in their respective markets. I wouldn't pay billions if there was no guarantee viewers in Dallas would only watch my game. This goes hand in hand with the advertisers. If you can't guarantee me the local audience will watch my Chevy dealership commercial on your network at 3pm, why would I pay top dollar for ad time? Bottomline, it screws up advertising. The NFL has probably spent tons of money to figure out they can make more money allowing DirecTV to have sunday ticket over the alternative.

Edited by WorstCoachingEver

Haven't read all the post so don't know if this has been said already. What really grates me is that the NFL wants to be global and play games and possibly the SB to a foriegn country which is total BS, yet they can't provide for ALL to watch a game on TV. fluck the NFL :D

:D

NFL Network: Truth About Cable Monopolies

Truth About Cable Monopolies

The truth is simple: cable companies raise rates and stifle competition – and are now denying you access to football 24:7 on NFL Network. Football fans are being held hostage: either they pay extra to subscribe to the cable company’s “sports tier” and spend hundreds of dollars a year for additional channels they don’t want – or they’re totally blocked from receiving high-quality NFL football programming on NFL Network.

FACT: A number of the largest cable companies – including Comcast, Time Warner and Cablevision – have either moved NFL Network to a pay-extra sports tier or refused to carry it at all.

FACT: Cable companies like Comcast, Time Warner and Cablevision are refusing to negotiate in good faith to give their customers access to NFL Network.

FACT: Cable rates have increased by 41% in the last few years, and cable companies still aren’t satisfied. They’re trying to cash in on the NFL’s popularity by charging football fans an additional fee to watch their favorite teams in action.

FACT: It costs only 2 cents per subscriber a day for cable companies to offer NFL Network, yet they want to charge you up to $10 per month for the right to watch NFL Network.

FACT: Although more than 222 million Americans watched NFL football last year, the cable companies argue that NFL Network’s audience is too small to justify a spot in the basic lineup. Yet they manage to offer less popular sports channels they own, like Versus and the Golf Channel, on basic cable.

FACT: Cable has a double standard when it comes to sports channels. Channels they own, like Versus and the Golf Channel are included in the basic lineup. Independent channels like NFL Network get left out in the cold. This is unfair and anti-consumer. Consumer interest should decide what channels get carried – not inside deals among cable companies.

FACT: Cable’s standard tactics stifle competition, by denying access to independent networks and by allowing cable to abuse their monopoly franchises.

FACT: Cable subscribers that live outside their favorite teams’ home markets won’t see their teams play on NFL Network unless they pay extra fees to their cable provider. NFL Network games are broadcast free over-the-air in the team’s local market – but Dallas Cowboys fans in San Antonio and Green Bay Packers fans in Madison, for example, will miss seeing their favorite teams play.

I'm not taking any sides on this. Both the NFL and Charter are being babies about it.

Our cable company says that they're willing to put NFLN on the 'upper tier' where customers pay more but the NFL won't allow them to carry the network unless they put it on basic cable.

I live in Wisconsin and am not in the 'local market' for Packer games according to the NFL (only Green Bay and Milwaukee) so they won't let a local affiliate carry the game.

I was hoping for some of that local action but not if it's just GB and Milwaukee.

Yes Cowboys fans won't be happy on friday. :D

:D Because we won't be able to sleep after watching a hard-fought, closely matched, DAL/GB game where DAL pulls out a win...and still have to go to work the next day?

OK, that was a pretty weak, and wordy, reply. :wacko: