[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Travis Henry Decision Coming Friday

splotchman

The NFL's decision on the appeal of Travis Henry's one-year suspension is expected on Friday.

Henry argues that the level of Josh Gordon detected in his system was too low to be anything other than second hand inhalation. There is reportedly feeling around the league and in the Broncos' front office that the timing of the NFL's decision is in Henry's favor. The NFL usually doesn't make late-week decisions that can affect teams' game plans for the coming Sunday.

Source: Rocky Mountain News

No suspension? :D

The NFL's decision on the appeal of Travis Henry's one-year suspension is expected on Friday.

Henry argues that the level of Josh Gordon detected in his system was too low to be anything other than second hand inhalation. There is reportedly feeling around the league and in the Broncos' front office that the timing of the NFL's decision is in Henry's favor. The NFL usually doesn't make late-week decisions that can affect teams' game plans for the coming Sunday.

Source: Rocky Mountain News

No suspension? :D

I'll believe the decision is made when I see it. I'm sick of reports of when it's "expected" to be made or reported.

Anyways, I don't recall the NFL ever having a rule, official or unofficial, saying they don't make a decision after a Wednesday.

I can see how they wouldn't want to punish the team for the act of a player but in this instance the team (aka Shanahan) made some pretty bold statements that were at odds with the league and Goodell. Effectively proclaiming that Henry is innocent because he passed the tests that were not apart of the league's CBA even though he failed the CBA test. It's reading a lot into this whole situation... but if Goodell's decision is released tomorrow or even later before Sunday's game, it's not unfeasible that Goodell didn't bother releasing the decision on Wednesday to mess with Shanahan.

Edited by kingfish247

As an owner of both Henry and Young (as well as Hall), I hope a decision is made and can guess again as to who to start. :D

Why do you presume that when a decision is made it will make your life easier? If he is suspended then Cecil Sapp will be introduced into the picture and you'll have to go pick him up.

I learned my lesson ... no more Denver running backs ... and now I have far fewer headaches.

Come on Commish......get this gimpy guy out of here...enough already.......Henry is trying to pull a Clinton(Pres) , " I did not inhale"....let him just admit that he smokes grass and be done with him

:D

Then again, it could be that he has a legit case. His claim is that the amount of Josh Gordon detected in his system is so small that it could only be second hand smoke. He has also taken a polygraph and submitted additional samples including hair samples. Those are hardly the actions of someone trying to cover up something.

Now, should Henry be suspended for being stupid enough to be in a room where other people are smoking dope when his career depends upon his testing clean? That's debatable.

Then again, it could be that he has a legit case. His claim is that the amount of Josh Gordon detected in his system is so small that it could only be second hand smoke. He has also taken a polygraph and submitted additional samples including hair samples.

Not a doc here but from what I've read its impossible to inhale enough 2nd hand smoke to fail a drug test. You would have to be actually "shot-gunning" it into the persons mouth as you exhaled. You simply can't be sitting "in the room" or "nearby" and later fail a drug test. Thats as weak as the dog and the homework bit, makes you look like a real arse to use that excuse.

Also, polygraph tests are like consumer surveys and polls. If you need a specific result you ask certain questions in a certain order, you can change the result of the "survey" just by asking slightly different questions in a different order. They hold no value at all.

Not a doc here but from what I've read its impossible to inhale enough 2nd hand smoke to fail a drug test. You would have to be actually "shot-gunning" it into the persons mouth as you exhaled. You simply can't be sitting "in the room" or "nearby" and later fail a drug test. Thats as weak as the dog and the homework bit, makes you look like a real arse to use that excuse.

Also, polygraph tests are like consumer surveys and polls. If you need a specific result you ask certain questions in a certain order, you can change the result of the "survey" just by asking slightly different questions in a different order. They hold no value at all.

Well, then you'll have to explain to me, 1) Why it has taken so long for Goodell to make a decision in this case when he has been so swift & decisive (and leaning well to the harsh penalty side) up to this point, and 2) Why the decision is supposed to come down on a Friday when it would obviously & significantly impact a team's preparation for a Sunday game (especially given how the league percieves Davis & the Raiders, who DEN plays this weekend).

And I'm certainly not saying that a polygraph is definitive proof of anything - hardly that at all. It sure can be corroberating evidence though, giving credibility to another side of a story if facts do indeed support Henry.

Edited by Bronco Billy

If he truly tested positive due to second hand smoke inhalation then he should be suspended for stupidity.

Yes, he has the stupidity part down already. They should be able to suspend him for the trying to ruin 9 innocent childrens lives. POS! His suspension should include several of these........ :D:D:wacko::D:D;)

Well, then you'll have to explain to me, 1) Why it has taken so long for Goodell to make a decision in this case when he has been so swift & decisive (and leaning well to the harsh penalty side) up to this point, and 2) Why the decision is supposed to come down on a Friday when it would obviously & significantly impact a team's preparation for a Sunday game (especially given how the league percieves Davis & the Raiders, who DEN plays this weekend).

And I'm certainly not saying that a polygraph is definitive proof of anything - hardly that at all. It sure can be corroberating evidence though, giving credibility to another side of a story if facts do indeed support Henry.

Just speculation here, but I'd say that the decision has taken a while because there is no prcedent for a situation like this that I know of. Goodell probably wants to fully understand the implications of suspending Henry in light of his lawsuit against the NFL and the evidence that Henry's lawyer(s) have presented. Again, just speculation, but I can understand why the decision is delayed as a result.

And as for the decision being made on a Friday, is there an NFL rule that prohibits decisions from being made on suspensions this late into the week? If not, Goodell has already shown that he marches to the beat of his own drum. I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't give a crap whether or not he was messing up someone's game plan when it comes to laying down the law in his league.

And as for the decision being made on a Friday, is there an NFL rule that prohibits decisions from being made on suspensions this late into the week? If not, Goodell has already shown that he marches to the beat of his own drum. I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't give a crap whether or not he was messing up someone's game plan when it comes to laying down the law in his league.

While there may not be a rule, there is certainly a disservice done to a team using a player in game planning to have them suspended once live practice starts for that week. I believe that's why we've seen Tuesday suspensions up to this point for active players. Goodell may be the commish, but he is still employed by the NFL owners, and I don't think any of them would take too kindly to suspensions announced very late in the week. I agree that Goodell acts very independently, but I also think he definitely understands the full impact of his actions and does not act capriciously.

The sudden timing of Sean Taylor's death earlier this week probably was a factor in delaying the decison. If the NFL came out with the Henry ruling during that time frame, without making the Taylor situation priority #1, it would have cast the League in a very bad light. Additionally, because this decision could very likely mean Henry's last chance at playing in the NFL, I'm sure that the League wants to cover all of its bases (and prepare all rebuttals for the Broncos and the media) before issuing a decision.

The sudden timing of Sean Taylor's death earlier this week probably was a factor in delaying the decison. If the NFL came out with the Henry ruling during that time frame, without making the Taylor situation priority #1, it would have cast the League in a very bad light.

Henry's appeal wasn't heard last week. It was heard Nov. 16. There's been plenty of time between then & Taylor's shooting to render a decision.

Look, guys, I'd be the last one to defend Henry for being stupid enough to be hanging with guys smoking dope given that he's in line to be a three time loser in the NFL system, and I sure as Hades don't know what's going through Goodell's head or the evidence he's seen. But based upon the prolonged assessment period prior to any decision and the timing involved in the decision, it seems to me that Goodell might be leaning to allowing Henry to play - which, BTW, would in turn take him out of the NFL substance abuse program, I do believe, since he was scheduled to graduate from it around week 6.