[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Dvd players in rides

polksalet

Muck, what is your aversion to this? I do not have one in mine because while Polk Jr. drives me INSANE much of the time I do like to interact with him as much as possible. We take few long trips anymore and when we do I do not want to pump his head full of any more cartoons and stuff than necessary. I thought about looking for some ebayed crocodile hunter or science channel goods.

Families used to talk, play games, read, draw, look out the window and enjoy the scenery or just sleep on long trips. Now the little ADHD darlings need to be entertained every minute. For you poor schmucks with small children and no back seat DVD system, I suggest slipping the kids a valium so you can fiddle with the GPS and make you cell phone calls with minimal interruptions.

Edited by driveby

Families used to talk, play games, read, draw, look out the window and enjoy the scenery or just sleep on long trips. Now the little ADHD darlings need to be entertained every minute. For you poor schmucks with small children and no back seat DVD system, I suggest slipping the kids a valium so you can fiddle with the GPS and make you cell phone calls with minimal uninterruptions.

You sound like my grandpa, did you use to walk 20 miles uphill in the snow to school too?

Edited by twiley

Families used to talk, play games, read, draw, look out the window and enjoy the scenery or just sleep on long trips. Now the little ADHD darlings need to be entertained every minute. For you poor schmucks with small children and no back seat DVD system, I suggest slipping the kids a valium so you can fiddle with the GPS and make you cell phone calls with minimal interruptions.

Back in my day we didn't have any fancy cars. We had a mule and a cart. It took us three days to get to the next town. When it was night, we lit a fire and roasted mule poo for dinner. That's how it was and we like it!

You sound like my grandpa, did you use to walk 20 miles uphill in the snow to school too?

That would be uphill.... both ways.

We have a portable DVD player that we can attach to the back of a seat and plug in so it stays charged in the car. It only comes out when we have a very long drive, like when we visit my family in Northern California (generally at least a 7 and a half hour drive... longer with the stops to feed the 7 month old and potty breaks for the 3 year old.

Usually Little Einsteins and then a Disney movie of choice, and that;s it. Rest of the time is some game (whatever form of Eye Spy you can play with a 3 year old) or, hopefully him sleeping.

I'm with you, driveby. DVD gets no play in my ride.

The mrs and I have vowed to never use a car DVD player. It strikes us both as an unraveling of the family unit and one more excuse for kids not to read. But we don't have kids yet so... probably not one to talk.

DVD players and small LCD screens have gotten so cheap though that I imagine they will be standard equipment in the near future for most family-trucksters anyway.

We have them in both of our cars. When we first got them the kids wanted them playing all the time, no matter how short the drive was. Now they never use them around town. They play I-spy and slug-bug most of the time, or we just talk on short drives. When we do go out of town, they do watch movies most of the time. I think it has something to do with them not wanting to start a movie that they are not going to finish. Some may say it breaks down the family unit or something like that, and they are definitely entitled to their opinion. While it may cut down on some conversation in the car, it also tends to cut down on some conflict. I can't remember the number of times that my father pulled over at rest stops to whip me and my brother on trips for making him "nervous". I've never had to do that with my kids, and don't think it is necessarily a bad thing.

We recently took an 11 hour drive, we had a portable, but did not bring it out but one time, the rest of the time she was content watching the scenery, playing games, drawing, etc.

Some people just have neat kids, kids who like to do stuff. Some people kids are fat little toads who need a babysitter, i.e. a tv.