[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

blood work back

polksalet

AFP markers are at 18 but were at 85 3 months back.Normal is 5 but often, especially if there is any kind of tumor (even benign) present these are extremely elevated. The other markers (can't remember name) were at zero three months ago and remain at zero.

Thanks guys

Chargers, any comments on my interpretations of these readings??

An AFP value of 18 is very low and not alarming. The absolute numbers aren't as important as the TREND in the numbers. The values should continue to fall but can take a long time (months to a year) to fall below 5.

An AFP value of 18 is very low and not alarming. The absolute numbers aren't as important as the TREND in the numbers. The values should continue to fall but can take a long time (months to a year) to fall below 5.

:D sounds good to me

AFP markers are at 18 but were at 85 3 months back.Normal is 5 but often, especially if there is any kind of tumor (even benign) present these are extremely elevated. The other markers (can't remember name) were at zero three months ago and remain at zero.

Thanks guys

Chargers, any comments on my interpretations of these readings??

Now this sounds like great news polk. :D

• 2 months later...

Was 18 in December, now it is 44. What does this mean? We go back to the doc Thursday but got the blood work back today. I got the cbc work back but that is a mystery to me.

Was 18 in December, now it is 44. What does this mean? We go back to the doc Thursday but got the blood work back today. I got the cbc work back but that is a mystery to me.

44 is still a low level. As I said before, the trend is what is important. They'll probably recommend another level be drawn in the near future. If the level continues to rise they may start doing studies to find the source.

44 is still a low level. As I said before, the trend is what is important. They'll probably recommend another level be drawn in the near future. If the level continues to rise they may start doing studies to find the source.

Thanks dude, is there anything that can't be learned on in the tailgate?

This is supposed to be our last quarterly mri. After this we go to blood work every quarter and an mri every six months.

Edited by polksalet

Does AFP fluctuate that much for kids with no history of cancer or for healthy adults?

It can, but also the measurement of AFP in the lab can be subject to fluctuation.

can you expound on that?

Testing in the lab is imprecise. It's a more difficult test to do than a simple CBC. AFP values also are lab-specific. All our AFP tests are run by one laboratory. Another hospital using another lab would get slightly different values. That's why the trend in values coming from one particular lab is important. Am I clear?