[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I Am Legend

MrTed46

This is a remake of Omega man.

The over all stories is solid but in this remake instead of Chuck Heston trying to kill all the night dwellers he is attempting to cure them. The ending is very interesting if you've never seen the movies before or read the book. The term "I am Legend" is very relevant.

Its good and should be watching in the theater simply for the stunning scenery. How many movies have had NYC empty of all human life? None.

Haven't seen it, but one review that I heard said that even though Will Smith was very good, that the special effects were SO bad that it ruined the entire movie. Basically said it was Will Smith vs. Jar Jar Binks. :D

+1...i will still see this movie but it sounds like the last 1/2 hour to an hour is painful to watch

The ending sucked. They went with the cliche, hero BS instead of sticking to the book.

It shouldn't even be called "I Am Legend" since the title refers to the original, more interesting ending where the main character realizes what he has become after killing all the infected people.

Thanks for the spoiler.

I want to see it as I think Will Smith is a good actor. Commercially it has been good with the largest December opening ever with around 76 million this past weekend.

The over all stories is solid but in this remake instead of Chuck Heston trying to kill all the night dwellers he is attempting to cure them. The ending is very interesting if you've never seen the movies before or read the book. The term "I am Legend" is very relevant.

Its good and should be watching in the theater simply for the stunning scenery. How many movies have had NYC empty of all human life? None.

Agree. Brings back some fond memories. Saw Omega Man at a drive-in in Oct. '71 with a very new and hot girlfriend who was frightened so badly she removed a lot of her clothing. :D

I'll go see Legend and see if it has anything close to that effect on the wimins in the audience. :D

Edited by The Holy Roller

Omega Man was a remake of Last Man on Earth. So I Am Legend is a remake of a remake if one wished to be technical about it. :D

Vincent Price was the lead in the first one...for those that didn't see it when it came out.

There is the Planet of the Apes classic ... subway ruins and then the dramatic discovery of the Statue of Liberty ...

I saw it this past weekend. It's decent. I liked it, but didn't love it. It's a bit of a downer, but an entertaining one at that. Smith gives a strong performance and the set design is incredible. FX are a little shaky when it comes to the mutants. I didn't leave the theater totally satisfied, but haven't quite figured out why.

I'd give it a B.

Edited by TDFFFreak

I read the book and from what I've heard so far the movie is decent but is very inaccurate as far as the book goes.

When I first saw the trailer for IAL, I immediately thought of Omega Man which I thought was very cool but havent seen in a while. Ended up picking up the DVD of Omega Man and it has a coupon on it for a free admission to IAL. I will have to go check it out soon...

Omega Man was a remake of Last Man on Earth. So I Am Legend is a remake of a remake if one wished to be technical about it. :D

Vincent Price was the lead in the first one...for those that didn't see it when it came out.

True True. I am more of a Heston Fan than a Price fan though. Not knocking Vincent because he is one of my favs but Chuckie is da man.

I saw it this past weekend. It's decent. I liked it, but didn't love it. It's a bit of a downer, but an entertaining one at that. Smith gives a strong performance and the set design is incredible. FX are a little shaky when it comes to the mutants. I didn't leave the theater totally satisfied, but haven't quite figured out why.

I'd give it a B.

+1

I'd give it a B.

I'd give it a C. The art direction was amazing - it really seemed like an abandoned NY, which was very impressive. One of the problems for me was that Will Smith's dog was the second best character. There were opportunities for other good characters.

The biggest problem was the special effects for the mutants. They were terrible. It would've made much more impact if Smith was trying to survive (and cure) humans instead of these lame, computer generated, not scary in the least monsters. Hugh missed opportunity.

Edited by Fatman

True True. I am more of a Heston Fan than a Price fan though. Not knocking Vincent because he is one of my favs but Chuckie is da man.

Check out "Big Country" with Heston and Gregory Peck. Solid western wife and I saw two nights ago.