[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

automotive problem

Azazello1313

so when i started this POS yesterday, it started real slow but it started. we went ahead and drove it over to friends' house, and of course when we went to leave the car wouldn't start. so we had them give us a jump, and drove home without incident. so i figure it's a bad battery and i'll just get it replaced today. so i try and jump it just now and it will not start. just a single click, no turning over. thing is, the lights and everything seem to be fine, nice and bright.

so when i started this POS yesterday, it started real slow but it started. we went ahead and drove it over to friends' house, and of course when we went to leave the car wouldn't start. so we had them give us a jump, and drove home without incident. so i figure it's a bad battery and i'll just get it replaced today. so i try and jump it just now and it will not start. just a single click, no turning over. thing is, the lights and everything seem to be fine, nice and bright.

Agree with the starter suggestion but I've had the same symptoms with a number of different blown sensors on my jeep. Bad CPS or TPS could make it do the same thing.

Your last set of syptoms make it sound like a starter or starter relay. Have you heard a grinding noise in the last couple weeks at all just a second or two after the engine started to run?

Agree with the starter suggestion but I've had the same symptoms with a number of different blown sensors on my jeep. Bad CPS or TPS could make it do the same thing.

Same here. I've owned many POS and am no car guy. There's also some kind of "coil" that will cause the similar problems - that might be the same thing as a starter/starter relay. Nothing I'd want to teach myself to do in the cold.

I would have thought it was the battery too except you mentioned the lights work fine.

Sorry.

the only thing that is really confusing me is that the jump worked on it yesterday, which makes me think it's electrical.

Dont hook up the jumper cables to it and just tap the starter a few times with a hammer. If it starts get a starter. If not you either have a bad connection or a bad battery. If you jumped it and drove it for any distance using the radio and lights it would have died if it was the alternator.

Sounds like what mine did just when it started getting cold here. Slow start a couple times, then no start unless from jump.

Take it to an Advance Auto Parts. They'll test the current battery and alternator, then dispose of and put in a new battery for free. I understand many other auto parts stores do the same. I got the "Titanium".

I bet it's the battery. Always change those first. Even if that's not the problem, you're probably due for one anyway. Get one with a lifetime warranty.

Just because the headlights work doesn't mean it's not the battery...as was mentioned. With old school starters, you could hear the bendix spinning without engaging the flywheel. It seems tougher to tell on today's models.

Clean the terminals and inspect the connection of the terminal to the cable before you hook it back up. My guess is the terminals are dirty/corroded, or there could be a bad connection from the terminal to the cable. If there is a bad connection and you try and jump it, the cable will prolly feel hot where the connection is bad. You need a new battery if it's over three years old. Do you have a voltmeter?

stick your tongue between the negative and positive posts. See if there's any charge left in the old battery :D

could be a multitude of problems. start with the easy ones.. clean the posts, tighten the connection. check with a voltmeter, maybe check the water level if you have a old school battery.

So how old is the car?

When I had old cars back in the day one of the hardest things to figure out was what was wrong when it wouldn't start? Is it the batter, alternator, or Starter? I remember replacing one and then it going bad in a week and it turned out to be the other thing. Get it checked out at the parts store as someone suggested.

It could be the starter also. I recall my car starting a few times before the starter went completely caput. It alwasy happens in the middle of winter too. One year change the starter in below freezing temps with the wind blowing only to find out that we received a bad starter from the parts stored and had to do it all again the next day, fricken brutal. I remember I missed a big party that night also.

Fun stuff.

If you tap on the starter with a hammer and it turns over, it could be that the starter was frozen. The fact that it started when you jumped it might indicate that your battery is a little weak and couldn't turn it over because the starter was a little stuck, but a fully juiced battery had the power to make it turn. If that's the case, you're gonna need a new battery and starter.